Kieron Riding

Service History

I have a 17 plate Polo I'm going to part ex very soon. I missed the service on the first year of the car (stupid me) but it was serviced the year after at 12k miles and I'm about to have it serviced again at 17k. Do you think missing that first years is going to impact on the resale price of the car as it doesn't have full service history? 

Yes, it will reduce it by 50 percent.

However, I’ll do you a favour and gladly take it in.

:ph34r:

Might be 2 year service intervals . Worth checking 

36 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Is it definitely 1 year service interval?

Might be worth checking it might be 2 year i know the golf of that year is on long-life  and theres no service book all held on dealer computer 

Edited by Casper

hey up dad

I asked you not to ask on here

most traders will be so pleased to purchase Germany's finest a mere blot in the book is of no consequence 

relate it to a hand grenade with the pin out depending on the engine fitted in these thing

8 hours ago, Casper said:

Might be 2 year service intervals . Worth checking 

Might be worth checking it might be 2 year i know the golf of that year is on long-life  and theres no service book all held on dealer computer 

This.

I believe VWs on longlife service are up to 2 years/20,000 miles. I can't remember if they are on an inspection only after 1 year though.

Its fairly obvious on the dashboard if/when a service is overdue, so I don't see how an average user would be able to miss it.

A 17 plate car with two services @12 and 17K is a full history car so dont let anyone tell you the price is affected. Particularly a little Polo thats a very desireable part-ex.

Surely this is a wind-up?

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Surely this is a wind-up?

I'm not seeing it? It seems a genuine and relevant issue for the OP?

One way to know for sure.....look at the options code sticker. If it has QG0, it would have come from the factory new, set for normal services. If it has QG1 then it was longlife - so you'll be okay for up to 20k/2yrs. Some dealers set the service interval from longlife to normal on the PDI though - but even if they did, the vehicle's fluids etc would be okay for long intervals if it has the QG1 option code.

In 2017 the vast majority were on longlife, certain engines/models and territories never had the option though.

• Like 1

Good news chaps. Rang up the dealer to book in for a service and told them about the missing stamp. Turns out they screwed up and didn't stamp in but its logged on their system that the service was done.  Spent all night annoyed with myself about this and turns out it wasn't my fault after all. I have such a bad memory 

Anyway thanks your your help, feel much better selling this car now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kieron Riding said:

Good news chaps. Rang up the dealer to book in for a service and told them about the missing stamp. Turns out they screwed up and didn't stamp in but its logged on their system that the service was done.  Spent all night annoyed with myself about this and turns out it wasn't my fault after all. I have such a bad memory 

Drop the book in if you ask they will stamp it up for you to match there computer records 

On 5/19/2020 at 2:42 PM, Kieron Riding said:

You must be THE only private I have come across who cares . 

Well done to you , :)

7 hours ago, craigpughcars said:

Moral of the story is when having your car serviced make sure they use a rubber :rolleyes: to stamp the book 

The book will soon be a thing of the past with all the electronic service logs for new cars