Nevillec

When will auctions reopen?

When do you all think a physical auction will reopen.....not just online,   but going to the auction in person and  bidding?

Realistically I think they'll only fully re-open July 4th or after, in the same category as other businesses where social distancing is more challenging. Since they can do online sort-of okay at the moment probably best to adapt to that than wait.

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Realistically I think they'll only fully re-open July 4th or after, in the same category as other businesses where social distancing is more challenging. Since they can do online sort-of okay at the moment probably best to adapt to that than wait.

I still cant see it that early, even when none essential shops are allowed to reopen social distancing will still be in place.

How can a tiny auction hall cater for a few hundred buyers all fighting for attention and often in groups of other friends/family/colleagues to all stand 2 metres apart? 

It’s usually as packed as a cattle market and they won’t want to limit the amount of customers allowed in. 

Edited by Lakeside

4 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

I still cant see it that early, even when none essential shops are allowed to reopen social distancing will still be in place.

How can a tiny auction hall cater for a few hundred buyers all fighting for attention and often in groups of other friends/family/colleagues to all stand 2 metres apart? 

It’s usually as packed as a cattle market and they won’t want to limit the amount of customers allowed in. 

I guess it varies for different auctions. For sure, they'll be limiting the numbers attending in person to try enforce some kind of social distancing. The ones I know will probably be okay with that limitation, they are quite spacey, but I imagine some might never reopen until 2021 or later if they simply can't comply. 

If BCA or Manhem refused to let Joe Public in for the moment then you would have 15/20 dealers.

Ideally they could restrict it to Gold Level  and above. If they had a pre approved invite system, For example if I saw an auction where there were multiple targets then I could ask for an invite. 

That would cut out all the browsers and suit and tie trade group buyers who have just turned up because they have to prove they are working. 

• Like 1

Between late August to mid September government wise hopefully although realistically maybe December in my opinion   . 

They could just sort there appraisal system out and they wouldn’t need branches. 

• Like 1

I don’t think they can operate properly until we get a vaccine.

The last auction I went to before lockdown was a nightmare, all the cars went through the hall had their doors locked and the windows up. You could’nt check interiors, keys, clutch, gearbox etc. Traders where all trying not to get near each other while trying to check a car/bid. It just really did it work.

Mad as it sounds i’d almost rather take my chance online and try and claim against an incorrect appraisal.

I think that if auctions find they can survive just by being online and with proper appraisals/resolution they might never need us back in.

48 minutes ago, justina3 said:

They could just sort there appraisal system out and they wouldn’t need branches. 

I agree, I think online only could be the way to go if they just get there appraisals improved, after all it's not rocket science.

if it was  just account holders gold and above rather than the  taxi drivers and the £100 flip car idiots then social distancing would be manageable.

• Like 2

I know I bang on about this, but physical auctions have now had another nail in their coffin! They’ve always wanted us to sit at home buying, it suits them completely. I’m just amazed that auction houses have been slow to stick it on us. It will be interesting to see how bothered they are about physical auctions now they have a great opportunity like this to change everything?

59 minutes ago, metcars said:

I know I bang on about this, but physical auctions have now had another nail in their coffin! They’ve always wanted us to sit at home buying, it suits them completely. I’m just amazed that auction houses have been slow to stick it on us. It will be interesting to see how bothered they are about physical auctions now they have a great opportunity like this to change everything?

I agree. Bca don’t help themselves by charging us to bid online, it should be the other way around! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

if it was  just account holders gold and above rather than the  taxi drivers and the £100 flip car idiots then social distancing would be manageable.

From the auction house side of things those customers pay over the odds for stock so if anything there the ones they would want at an auction not the dealer hoping to buy anything close to cap 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, justina3 said:

From the auction house side of things those customers pay over the odds for stock so if anything there the ones they would want at an auction not the dealer hoping to buy anything close to cap 

Yes, spot on. Auctions love the ‘wannabe’ types. 

• Like 1

I think its more like the three times the auction fee that Joe public pays compared to a dealers gold/platinum card 

2 minutes ago, Highlinev8 said:

I think its more like the three times the auction fee that Joe public pays compared to a dealers gold/platinum card 

The auction houses know what they are doing. They just want lots of hands in the air. They don’t have to make any moral judgments.

35 minutes ago, Highlinev8 said:

Don't worry they'll find a way of putting the prices up and keeping profitable. Or letting everyone do it online.

49 minutes ago, Highlinev8 said:

I forgot about that angle, with that in mind the dealers are the last people they want, apart from maybe the supermarket buyer.

• Like 1

The auctions will find a way to reopen.Just a few thoughts.To avoid crowding and follow social distancing they could restrict the auction ring to people who have a permit having registered a prior interest in a particular vehicle.They will have to up their game with grading and photos to attract more online buyers and continue not to charge online and storage fees.Collections might only be allowed 3 days after sale days when the car has been parked up to limit the possibility of any infection.

12 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/car-dealerships-will-face-government-inspection-prove-safe-reopen-random-spot-checks/192293

article from James explains what measure might be put in place at workplaces, we can imagine how auctions would impose this. 
Can’t find a link to guidelines for retail or cars though?

The eight separate guidance documents include:

• Construction and other outdoor work
  • Factories, plants and warehouses
  • Homes
  • Labs and research facilities
  • Offices and contact centres
  • Restaurants offering takeaway or delivery
  • Shops and branches HERE
  • Vehicles HERE

I know it's a change of subject from the auctions , noticed a few hand carwash buinesses are operating with one claiming to had approval to do so from trading standards and even selling cars from the forcourt which they've been doing for a few weeks now 

• Like 1