Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Interesting solution to ending lockdown

The government are going to turn off the money tap. So go back to work risking your health or stay home and starve?

:)

• Like 1

First off i believe furlough will be extended, both employed and self employed, highest number of deaths per million can not be ignored, and secondly, to get us back to work we will have to be told that it is safe, and by that they could give us false hope [ wear a mask you will be fine ?].

6 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

First off i believe furlough will be extended, both employed and self employed, highest number of deaths per million can not be ignored, and secondly, to get us back to work we will have to be told that it is safe, and by that they could give us false hope [ wear a mask you will be fine ?].

I suspect the COVID death toll is much lower. Having checked the ONS death toll for Covid in March the number of deaths without Co-morbidities between the ages of 0-65 was 46... not saying it doesn’t kill people but the numbers being reported are only telling a part of the story.

What about that Italian member of parliament losing his rag at their government the other day? 

For sure, all the indications are the furlough scheme will be extended or some kind of partial transition away from it. But the indications are we're heading for a sizeable recession, so its inevitable that some will suffer and/or lose their jobs. The government simply won't be able to prop up the economy to pre-Covid levels anyway.

And the virus is here to stay, at least in the medium term.

So yes, at some point people will have to get used to the risk of going to work in a fairly normal fashion. Car sales and car dealers are pretty much on the front line, and its not like working in a supermarket where you don't really have to "sell" the bread etc to them, just have it on shelves for the picking then have a till. And that's not even taking into account the downturn in demand.

Cheap cars will always sell well but especially so now. Expensive secondhand cars - they kinda sell themselves, and lend themselves quite well to contactless/online/distance selling etc. And will see a boost from those who previously might have bought a new car. Its the middle ground where it will be hit the hardest.

• Like 1

Has anyone read what the chancellor had to say in The Times this morning?

3 minutes ago, metcars said:

Has anyone read what the chancellor had to say in The Times this morning?

Just seen it online, I don't think its anything unexpected - they are discussing how to wean people off it July onwards and that it is unsustainable.

Government will be looking to end furlough as soon as it possibly can, put bill paying back into the hands of the employer.

Then the real fun will start. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

“Wear a mask, you’ll be fine, but sign here” so even though in reality to do your job effectively (and receive a salary) you can’t be safe, If you get ill it’s your fault because we told you to wear a mask? 

11 hours ago, Highlinev8 said:

Government will be looking to end furlough as soon as it possibly can, put bill paying back into the hands of the employer.

Then the real fun will start. 

Exactly. I don’t trust this government one bit. They will say it will be ok for staff to go back to work to businesses that will not have the income to keep them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

going back to work sounds great [ never thought i would say that !] but, is there any work to go back to ?

And will you or won’t you catch the lurgy? Exciting times!

Edited by metcars

17 hours ago, metcars said:

“Wear a mask, you’ll be fine, but sign here” so even though in reality to do your job effectively (and receive a salary) you can’t be safe, If you get ill it’s your fault because we told you to wear a mask? 

Just wait till next year till, the Ambulance chances will be all over it. It'll be the new PPI/Accident claim 

Where you forced to go back to work? Did you get covid 19?  We can help you claim... Blah blah blah.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrC said:

Just wait till next year till, the Ambulance chances will be all over it. It'll be the new PPI/Accident claim 

Definitely 

7 hours ago, MrC said:

Where you forced to go back to work? Did you get covid 19?  We can help you claim... Blah blah blah.

I have just said exactly that to the Mrs.