James Baggott

Pendragon and Lookers 'have merger talks' which would create biggest UK group

Surely the competition commission would probably have some objections to this.

• Like 1

Hmm... Two big and seemingly unmanageable groups trading in 'penny share' territory.  Yeah, that should be a great marriage..!

• Like 2

I don’t believe this story.I think that what has really happened is that Lookers has got a third party to float the story in the hope a white knight will rescue them.They are a household name with a lot of freehold property to sell off or maybe sell and lease back,and they are cheap.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I don’t believe this story.I think that what has really happened is that Lookers has got a third party to float the story in the hope a white knight will rescue them.They are a household name with a lot of freehold property to sell off or maybe sell and lease back,and they are cheap.

It's on that basis I reckon Pendragon would be interested? 

They used to love a big merger every couple of years, sell off what they didn't want (usually VAG group franchises) and sale and leaseback all the properties with RBS I think? 

They have been a bit toothless since the old guard left but maybe, just maybe.... 

On 5/2/2020 at 8:57 PM, Frankieola said:

It's on that basis I reckon Pendragon would be interested? 

They used to love a big merger every couple of years, sell off what they didn't want (usually VAG group franchises) and sale and leaseback all the properties with RBS I think? 

They have been a bit toothless since the old guard left but maybe, just maybe.... 

You were right Frankie,talks have been confirmed,there has been a stock exchange announcement.

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

You were right Frankie,talks have been confirmed,there has been a stock exchange announcement.

More frightening is the o2 virgin tie up if it ever gets the go ahead,virgin have  had outages for well over a week now around the country can you imagine if we get in a situation where theres only 2 providers running the show,you can have any colour you like so long as its black....not good

There would still be 4 mobile phone providers - Virgin is currently a MVNO so it would still leave EE, O2, Three and Vodaphone.

I'm not sure on broadband/internet providers.

1 hour ago, New year revolutions...... said:

More frightening is the o2 virgin tie up if it ever gets the go ahead,virgin have  had outages for well over a week now around the country can you imagine if we get in a situation where theres only 2 providers running the show,you can have any colour you like so long as its black....not good

Did o2 not try that a few years ago with three and weren't allowed the go  ahead remember reading about it back then three used to piggy back of them but think there are separate network now if I'm not mistaken . 

35 minutes ago, Paul C said:

There would still be 4 mobile phone providers - Virgin is currently a MVNO so it would still leave EE, O2, Three and Vodaphone.

I'm not sure on broadband/internet providers.

There probably areas that virgin don't cover and o2 does with internet we cant get virgin broadband in our area . But can get o2. That's maybe a reason for the merger 

3 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Virgin mobile is a virtual network that actually uses EE's infrastructure.

Like all Broadband and Telephone providers utilise BT's lines (as far as I am aware).

4 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Virgin mobile is a virtual network that actually uses EE's infrastructure.

Similar to what three was when the first started think there now there own network . Know a few people who are with virgin mobile and say there very good as well as there internet and tv packages though I can't get it in or area which is a shame though I might look at them from business mobiles .   

4 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Like all Broadband and Telephone providers utilise BT's lines (as far as I am aware).

You correct Mark most the others rent the line from bt which is now spilt into two different company's bt and open reach open reach are owned by bt but do all line repairs for sky vodafone virgin etc . My home broadband is with.bt and had a fault open reach were out.a twice both nice lads and got chatting to them and they were telling me about it. Funnily enough they say you have more bargaining power if you with sky Vodafone etc due to the amount they pay to rent the line as opposed to bt . 

Edited by Casper

2 hours ago, Casper said:

Similar to what three was when the first started think there now there own network .

Three had their own network from launch. They are part of Hutchison telecoms and their network was the first 3G network. Which is why they are called Three.  Smarty and Superdrug mobile piggy-back on Three (Hutchison own Superdrug and a load of other companies).

Virgin mobile piggy-back on EE. But Virgin broadband have their own fibre network and don't use BT lines. Its all owned by Liberty Global.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Three had their own network from launch. They are part of Hutchison telecoms and their network was the first 3G network. Which is why they are called Three.  Smarty and Superdrug mobile piggy-back on Three (Hutchison own Superdrug and a load of other companies).

Virgin mobile piggy-back on EE. But Virgin broadband have their own fibre network and don't use BT lines. Its all owned by Liberty Global.

Wasn't aware of that about three thanks everyday is a school day As for virgin that will be why we don't have virgin in our area we only have the bt lines 

Edited by Casper

crikey, how did an interesting industry topic turn into the phone forum:blink:

• Haha 1

My phone contract’s up shortly - any advice? :lol:

25 minutes ago, BHM said:

Get another single use SIM only deal from Tesco? :lol:

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Whichever you go for, the others will immediately put their prices down and the new phone will probably catch fire. If it doesn't, you'll drop it and crack the screen in the first week.

On 5/5/2020 at 3:03 PM, BHM said:

Superdrug SIM (Superdrug are owned by the same company as Three).  £20/month 30-day contract for unlimited everything. If you don't need unlimited data there are much cheaper deals. 

https://www.superdrugmobile.com

Edited by Halfpenny

4 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Superdrug SIM (Superdrug are owned by the same company as Three).  £20/month 30-day contract for unlimited everything. If you don't need unlimited data there are much cheaper deals. 

https://www.superdrugmobile.com

Thanks. I actually only put it on as a joke in response to an earlier post but my contract is up in a couple of months so I might buy a phone & go SIM only.

(and no Mark101, I don’t mean for the single use burner phone :lol:).

7 minutes ago, BHM said:

Thanks. I actually only put it on as a joke in response to an earlier post but my contract is up in a couple of months so I might buy a phone & go SIM only.

(and no Mark101, I don’t mean for the single use burner phone :lol:).

:lol: