James Baggott

Small firms that missed out on £10k grants could get help

MP accidentally let slip this was coming last night. I called the Treasury this morning and BEIS, but no official word yet.

Why am I so keen? My business missed out on exactly this and we could do with the cash desperately!

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/small-firms-missed-10k-grants-benefit-new-600m-government-scheme/191497

21 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

I’ve been promised an official comment this morning. It’s happening. Will make a huge difference to my business!

Even better ! does not apply to me as i have already received the grant but really good news for many !

on another note i understand that the bounce back loan has been set at 2.5% interest and many directors can use this as a "wage" who can not furlough, simple to apply i understand............

The whole aspect of this bb loan is incredible, from the application form  to the interest rate, i really hope it is used wisely and not frittered on sticking your hand up until your last bidder at the block for example .

I will be also looking into this, there is i understand no cut off date and no "total pot" to run out :huh:

still worried that it is actually there though, it asks many questions :(

I'm actually amazed how many businesses in my area haven't claimed the £10,000 grant. I've helped one to get his and unfortunately another friends daughter has fallen through the crack of leaving a 5 year lease when the new rent was increased by 100% she took up a new lease with a better landlord too late to be able to claim

5 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I'm actually amazed how many businesses in my area haven't claimed the £10,000 grant. I've helped one to get his and unfortunately another friends daughter has fallen through the crack of leaving a 5 year lease when the new rent was increased by 100% she took up a new lease with a better landlord too late to be able to claim

so called accountants are not up to speed i have discovered.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:58 AM, James Baggott said:

we could do with the cash desperately!

Hi James

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing cash flow issues too. It may be my naivety but I thought businesses such as yours, Online, Publications, Media etc would be fairly resilient to the lock down. I thought it would mostly affect those unable to trade, carrying large stock values with or without stocking loans (all business sectors) with no means of selling (or certainly well below normal numbers). I guess your advertising subscribers have drastically dropped off which would explain your issue. I am so pleased (thank you) that you have managed to maintain the forum. It is free and the contacts I have made is incredible and to be fair is the main reason why I subscribed to the mag to offer some revenue back to Blackball Media. Fingers crossed we all make it through.

• Like 1

Our revenue is bolstered by our events - CDX and the Used Car Awards - both of which have been put on hold. Our advertising revenue is down 90 per cent as suppliers shut up shop during this time. It's incredibly tough for us. The magazine is paid for by the advertising, we have very few paid for subscriptions - they're here if anyone else wants to support us by the way, CarDealerClub.com - but we are trying all we can do to keep things going online. The forum is free, click on a few of the Google Ads for us as that will help a little, but we're fighting for our survival just as many others are.

That's the honest picture, but there's no point masking it. We may look busy and successful, but publishers firms like mine are hit severely when there's a downturn as advertising is usually the first thing to get cut.

Thanks for the note and for subscribing - you won''t believe how much difference the £50 makes to us right now.

7 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

Our revenue is bolstered by our events - CDX and the Used Car Awards - both of which have been put on hold. Our advertising revenue is down 90 per cent as suppliers shut up shop during this time. It's incredibly tough for us. The magazine is paid for by the advertising, we have very few paid for subscriptions - they're here if anyone else wants to support us by the way, CarDealerClub.com - but we are trying all we can do to keep things going online. The forum is free, click on a few of the Google Ads for us as that will help a little, but we're fighting for our survival just as many others are.

That's the honest picture, but there's no point masking it. We may look busy and successful, but publishers firms like mine are hit severely when there's a downturn as advertising is usually the first thing to get cut.

Thanks for the note and for subscribing - you won''t believe how much difference the £50 makes to us right now.

Thank you for your frank explanation. To be honest, I hadn't considered CDX or the awards. Hopefully, you can batten down some hatches, furlough the staff (I guess you have) and minimise outgoings.

I just thought the fixed costs would be relatively low as things like CDX only cost when they go ahead.

All my best James.

PS: I would be making the subscription of the magazine a requirement to gain "free" access to the forum by the way. It may get rid of some spammers too.

Edited by Mark101

I don't want to piss people off but it would certainly help! 

Most costs for the events have gone out already too which is even more painful - plus one of the venues trying to charge us 50 per cent again to move it, despite it being cancelled by the virus.

Yes Farnborough International I'm looking at you...

4 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

I don't want to piss people off but it would certainly help! 

Most costs for the events have gone out already too which is even more painful - plus one of the venues trying to charge us 50 per cent again to move it, despite it being cancelled by the virus.

Yes Farnborough International I'm looking at you...

For all forum members who don't subscribe to the magazine, I think we all should. Many of us pay thousands a year to advertise our cars and this is something like £50 a year a no brainer.

I know what I would be telling Farnborough International by the way, time to find another venue hastag shortsighted.

Good luck.

I've battled with them, and battled again. But they're sticking to their guns - painful really, but there are some businesses out there screwing over small firms like mine. This is one of them.

I'll never use them again, and I'll tell everyone who'll listen never use them again.

Thanks for the subscription call - it would help us hugely. We're not printing the mag right now but we are producing a digital copy and publishing so much stuff on the website every day. 

A helping hand is appreciated, but I don't expect it. Thanks for your kind words.

5 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

For all forum members who don't subscribe to the magazine, I think we all should. Many of us pay thousands a year to advertise our cars and this is something like £50 a year a no brainer.

Absolutely Mark. £50 is ridiculously good value when you consider all of the content currently being created.  And you can get the magazine in digital format right now as well. 

Edited by L-P

I personally would not print a magazine, just a digital copy for £50 a year. Or if people are insistent on a tangible copy, then that's £100 a year.

Just this second renewed by subs and it was less than £50. What a bargain, even if it is just for Big Mike's column.

Edited by Mark101

The website is going strong though - this is the views so far this year! Look at the jump! Shame it doesn't bring in the money in the same way yet.

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 17.41.28.png

That's very, very kind of you - thank you! 

12 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I personally would not print a magazine, just a digital copy for £50 a year. Or if people are insistent on a tangible copy, then that's £100 a year.

Just this second renewed by subs and it was less than £50. What a bargain, even if it is just for Bike Mike's column.

6 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

The website is going strong though - this is the views so far this year! Look at the jump! Shame it doesn't bring in the money in the same way yet.

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 17.41.28.png

That's very, very kind of you - thank you! 

This is a good idea I've a subscription for car mechanics mag which charges for both paper print form and the digital subscription or you can have either or as mark says £50 each separately or I would combine it so you could have both for £75 for a year if you like would be the way I would go . 

Edited by Casper

Well worth the £50 its a good publication whether online or the older physical.  Same as Mark I thought it was worth paying for it just for the forum.

The awards is a great night aswell and fingers crossed it goes ahead, after all this shit will be very much welcome. 

Cheers James for the regular updates and news throughout. I thought you were a decent bloke before but feel you have really assisted and gone above and beyond or the motor trade as a whole throughout this and its been fantastic to see. 

19 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Cheers James for the regular updates and news throughout. I thought you were a decent bloke before but feel you have really assisted and gone above and beyond or the motor trade as a whole throughout this and its been fantastic to see. 

+1 to that 

47 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Well worth the £50 its a good publication whether online or the older physical.  Same as Mark I thought it was worth paying for it just for the forum.

The awards is a great night aswell and fingers crossed it goes ahead, after all this shit will be very much welcome. 

Thank you. I think the awards will probably be delayed but will definitely go ahead as soon as they are allowed

Ok, I’ll take the bullet and sign up to lonely Asian ladies!:rolleyes:

seriously, thanks James, we are all hugely grateful for your efforts. 

54 minutes ago, metcars said:

Ok, I’ll take the bullet and sign up to lonely Asian ladies!:rolleyes:

seriously, thanks James, we are all hugely grateful for your efforts. 

You know the adverts which are served are determined on a per-user basis, based on their typical browsing history?