Casper

Mot garages

Mot garage effect 6 month extension   

7 members have voted

1. 1. Effect of the 6 month mot extension mot garages no different or for sale/closed I've noticed a lot on sale around here over the past 2 years and my personal thoughts are we will see more what your thoughts

• no difference at all
    • Will see an increase in number and more up for sale or closing
    • Won't make any different and will still see people selling the business due to retirement etc
    • Gov will do a u turn before the year
    • Owner will put in extra effort to build up business
    • More work will be gained through it in 6 months with poorly neglected cars due to not being moted for longer period

22 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

I’m the same Casper, all my staff are like family. One of my guys my missus even makes him dinners and sends then up the road with him as he lives himself. We all get on well and all come and go and help one another out and that’s the way it should be. 

With regard to the mots my own car will still be getting done on its 12 months as the gap in the history would annoy me. My car is well maintained and would pass so what’s the cost of a test fee? Wallies.

ps hope you and the family are well Casper.

That's good of your fiancee mate as you so it's the nice to be like that your staff rescpect you more and will be more likely to come and go it's just nice to be nice as my dad always drummed in to us .. 

any the guys I use I often buy them a fish supper or an Chinese or whatever there take away of choice is or as you say make them a meal my mum would always do it with workman  that came about the house .make them home mad soup and home made dinners she still does .  

Ill probably do the same with my cars as well as there well maintained and mechanicals are all good yeah we are all ok mate apart from my mother having OCD about the virus and worried about my dad who had dementia and Alzheimer's and copd and various other problems like arthritis etc but there in the seventies dads in his late seventies and mum in her mid seventies so I can understand there fears 

hope you and you family are well too 

stay well stay safe and take care .

2 hours ago, Casper said:

home mad soup

What’s the recipe for Home Mad Soup? :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

I’m the same Casper, all my staff are like family. One of my guys my missus even makes him dinners and sends then up the road with him as he lives himself. We all get on well and all come and go and help one another out and that’s the way it should be. 

Nice one mate. Staff morale is key. 

One garage i know, he takes the boys out twice a year - cycling and golfing. 

The donated xmas chocs / drinks / prezzies get evenly split out as well. 

Some of the guys have been there for 20 years. 

Currently he can stay open but chose not to for staff safety. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Oh god here we go... Accusing others yet we dont know.... Everyone has their own client base. 

Not every buyer is a stingy tosspot. If someone is forking out £15k for a motor they will look after it. If you're selling a £1500 banger then stick with your mr mechanic know it alls. 

Some of us pick and choose who we sell to.

Some of you are later than usual... Guess this time at HMP is having a knock on effect... :lol:

Take it easy lads. 

Go do a crossword :ph34r:

That is totally unfair, let me tell you why was on here till late, i was doing invoices, signing cheques, generally making sure i can keep my company afloat by checking all recent gov uk sites for updates, scanning news journals trying to get a general idea looking at other countries ways of going back, and coming on here to set people straight to the best of my knowledge and research.

Let me set you straight on point number 1, the main point of  this ! the extension of the mot was to  to help prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).NOT [ your quote] for key workers, to keep traffic off the road, quite simple thing to do, x amount of mots due in the next 6 month, x amount removed from the road on journeys, simple.

If i am wrong and this is not extended after 6 month from 30th march then i will eat shit, but, let me remind you and others what was said at the daily meeting, a point many missed, this exemption will continue until the end of lockdown, if you want confirmation i will find the link !

quote =Some of us pick and choose who we sell to.

every customer who comes through my door is qualified, if your trouble or i sense trouble in the future you will not be sold a car, it is my car and yes, and i sell to who i beleive is right.some may slip through the net, a hazard in many jobs.

quote = Not every buyer is a stingy tosspot.

and yet you are asking how to measure discs so that you can buy on-line and cut out someone's profit ? and boasting how you got your son cheap insurance ? 

quote = If someone is forking out £15k for a motor they will look after it. If you're selling a £1500 banger then stick with your mr mechanic know it alls. 

well i find quite the opposite, walk round any supermarket car park and look at the tyres on these big lumps, handy because many are on full lock, see the cords hanging out on the edge, living beyond there means, 2 cars in drive and f*ck all in fridge is the saying, and yet the banger market may at least consider part worn to keep them legal.

now, where is that crossword i have not got the time to do !

• Thanks 1

^

:lol:

Think you need some help. 

You dont need to be doing invoices that late... You had the last 6 weeks... What the hell are you doing during the day? You're not open are you that you need to do paperwork at night?

And if you were actually doing paperwork then you should have been doing it and not having tantrums on here. 

Like i said too many have you have become too negative in this little lockdown... Not good for your mental health. 

Get a bike and enjoy the sunshine :lol:

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Not every buyer is a stingy tosspot. If someone is forking out £15k for a motor they will look after it. If you're selling a £1500 banger then stick with your mr mechanic know it alls. 

That's not the way it works.  Judging by a query from you about Jaguar disc sizes (and being reluctant to take a wheel off to measure) I suspect you are not involved in the service side.

Sadly there are an awful lot of people who can't afford to properly maintain the £15k cars they are driving around in.  We meet them every week. They max themselves out buying a used Merc or BM and then have nothing in reserve for maintenance. We see them with Chinese tyres down to the cords, pad warning light been on for weeks... Just before lockdown we had a 5/6 year old X5 in with a £1500 transmission fault. The owner outright told us he had no money to fix it. Was going to have to look for a loan.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

That's not the way it works.  Judging by a query from you about Jaguar disc sizes (and being reluctant to take a wheel off to measure) I suspect you are not involved in the service side.

Sadly there are an awful lot of people who can't afford to properly maintain the £15k cars they are driving around in.  We meet them every week. They max themselves out buying a used Merc or BM and then have nothing in reserve for maintenance. We see them with Chinese tyres down to the cords, pad warning light been on for weeks... Just before lockdown we had a 5/6 year old X5 in with a £1500 transmission fault. The owner outright told us he had no money to fix it. Was going to have to look for a loan.

thankyou

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I blame the spell check :lol: or maybe that fact that I refuse to wear my glasses but In fairness some of the lads that's done work for us I think it does make them mad or maybe it's disappearing soup cause soon after they have it.  you don't see them for three days when the go on an bender . 

Hope you and your family are all well . 

1 hour ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Nice one mate. Staff morale is key. 

One garage i know, he takes the boys out twice a year - cycling and golfing. 

The donated xmas chocs / drinks / prezzies get evenly split out as well. 

Some of the guys have been there for 20 years. 

Currently he can stay open but chose not to for staff safety. 

Best way isn't it . Look after workers and they will look after you well the decent ones not the ones that disappear for three days but are still the best and can't be replaced according to them . Watch this space lol  

Edited by Casper

50 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Thats because he probably bought the car on finance in the first place? But i was referring to outright purchases. 

My query was due to the lockdown period. Otherwise i would have went to the dealers but they're closed? 

Chinese tyres? Well they might have got fobbed off at the local garage? Because you might 'know' cars and parts doesn't mean everyone else does. I been banging on about this for a while in this forum but no one seems to get it... Not everyone knows your trade and you dont know everyone else's. 

You might have cough and think you got a long term condition and a doctor, who sees this everyday, know its just a temporary cough. 

Likewise you see the cheap Chinese tyres on his m3 but he doesn't have a clue on tyres because the local garage fobbed him off. 

I think am going to give the forum a break for a while as too many have a fixed view on things and cannot think out of the box hence the negativity and hostility on the forum. 

Edited by TangoVictor32

1 hour ago, BHM said:

An hour a day in here reading this dribble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

An hour a day in here reading this dribble. 

Haha, you’re right as far as this thread is concerned.

On 5/2/2020 at 12:28 PM, have a word with the wife said:

If i am wrong and this is not extended after 6 month from 30th march then i will eat shit

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-owners-to-be-granted-mot-exemption-in-battle-against-coronavirus

Legislation will be introduced on 30 March 2020 and will come into immediate effect for 12 months,

5 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-owners-to-be-granted-mot-exemption-in-battle-against-coronavirus

Legislation will be introduced on 30 March 2020 and will come into immediate effect for 12 months,

The MOT exemption granted to motorists due to the COVID-19 outbreak has resulted in a 78% drop in the number of MOT tests being carried out across the UK, according to figures from the DVSA.

• Like 1