Casper

Mot garages

Mot garage effect 6 month extension   

7 members have voted

1. 1. Effect of the 6 month mot extension mot garages no different or for sale/closed I've noticed a lot on sale around here over the past 2 years and my personal thoughts are we will see more what your thoughts

• no difference at all
    • Will see an increase in number and more up for sale or closing
    • Won't make any different and will still see people selling the business due to retirement etc
    • Gov will do a u turn before the year
    • Owner will put in extra effort to build up business
    • More work will be gained through it in 6 months with poorly neglected cars due to not being moted for longer period

59 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

why would it decimate mot only garages this time next year? we are only talking about mot business that has been lost during lock down, currently that's about a month's worth, the 6 month extension will likely be scrapped sooner rather than later, it is after all easily possible for a customer to distance themselves from their car whilst having an mot test,and likewise for the mot tester, lets not forget the 6 month extension was quickly thought out during crisis, its very unlikely they will honour that period once folks are let back out.

It beggars belief some of the thoughts on this forum, and at times makes me wonder how some survive in this job.

here is exactly what will happen next year regarding mots and how much business the mot stations can expect, all figures quoted are fact not dreamt up like some of the dross finding its way onto the forum.

next year most vehicles with a current mot will need another one at some point - that's millions of cars, at the same time every car that was registered new in 2018 will be due its first mot at some point - that is another 2.7 million vehicles due an mot test, (2018 confirmed registrations). at what point these vehicles are due a test matters not.

if any mot stations cant make a living out of that volume of cars then they should give up, most make good money on mot's, the clever ones will not be worrying about next year because next years quota has already been decided  in 2018 (2.7 million new cars plus whatever is already out there)   they will be doing the sums for the year 2023 when they are likely to see an actual decline in numbers partly based on the inevitable decline in new registrations expected for this year.

So

Can you tell me what the manufacturers do these days to keep the customers coming back

Let's start with how many manufacturers only offer a 3 year warranty 

Next point your month is my 5 weeks so far,I know car salesmen get a bad press but come on

I shall leave it there but look forward to the discussion on something that in the short term is not even my problem

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

If you are talking about the lockdown,factors will be down a lot more than 50%.Not many Euros vans about.Also,I have an involvement with a usually busy car sales and workshop business,it’s closed up.Unlike restaurants and gyms,when it reopens it will be OK,like the other workshops nearbye.

What about garden nurseries,they invest a load of money in stock ( often borrowed ) ,work like hell to get it ready and only have 3 months to sell it to cover 12 months expenses.They are closed up and will be dumping stock and many will go bust .

One thing with this lockdown,small businesses in future will have learnt to have a cash reserve rather than operate on the edge.

Rant Over !

I dont get your point to be fair

I explained that the factors trade is down 50% this is obviously unsustainable,you mention euro I only use them for sundries, I buy safety components from another factor

Regards opening up,I have had not one customer phone me regarding an mot or service,not one,I do not expect when I pull the shutter up I will have anyone there asking me to look at their babies

In regard garden centres,I've spent an absolute fortune on seeds this last 3 weeks and most seedlings are showing green shoots as suits like to say,I actually went out 2 hours ago and sprinkled slug pellets all round them(you cannot buy these now as the eu banned them so I bought 5 years supply last year) I'm gutted garden centres are shut as they do a great service to time short people like us who like to sit in our gardens rubbing our holborn and smelling the sweet peas come July 

Edited by New year revolutions......

Seems the opinion of some members is that after lockdown this 6 month extension will end ?

La la land, it is here for a good while yet, the customer you saw every year is now 18 month, the bottom arm you sold every 12 month is now 18, same with the tyre, even right down to getting a second hand cat from the breakers, hits them all............

32 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

So

Can you tell me what the manufacturers do these days to keep the customers coming back

Let's start with how many manufacturers only offer a 3 year warranty 

Next point your month is my 5 weeks so far,I know car salesmen get a bad press but come on

I shall leave it there but look forward to the discussion on something that in the short term is not even my problem

I dont get your point to be fair

I explained that the factors trade is down 50% this is obviously unsustainable,you mention euro I only use them for sundries, I buy safety components from another factor

Regards opening up,I have had not one customer phone me regarding an mot or service,not one,I do not expect when I pull the shutter up I will have anyone there asking me to look at their babies

In regard garden centres,I've spent an absolute fortune on seeds this last 3 weeks and most seedlings are showing green shoots as suits like to say,I actually went out 2 hours ago and sprinkled slug pellets all round them(you cannot buy these now as the eu banned them so I bought 5 years supply last year) I'm gutted garden centres are shut as they do a great service to time short people like us who like to sit in our gardens rubbing our holborn and smelling the sweet peas come July 

the subject was a down turn in  mots not what the manufacturers are doing to keep customers coming back, but for starters 5 year service packs on new cars, you are welcome to tell me how many of these are sold in percentage terms on new cars????

1 minute ago, awc1000 said:

the subject was a down turn in  mots not what the manufacturers are doing to keep customers coming back, but for starters 5 year service packs on new cars, you are welcome to tell me how many of these are sold in percentage terms on new cars????

Do I have to explain to you eu block exemption?

If you are in retail  you will know that getting customers to sign in to packages of service and mot is the way to keep them in the dealer network

Explain your point please

6 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

Seems the opinion of some members is that after lockdown this 6 month extension will end ?

La la land, it is here for a good while yet, the customer you saw every year is now 18 month, the bottom arm you sold every 12 month is now 18, same with the tyre, even right down to getting a second hand cat from the breakers, hits them all............

no reason for it not to end after easing of lock down, an mot like insurance and road tax is a legality, and to many on here presuming their customers won't bother having a "late" mot instead using the 6 month rule (note current rule).

not everyone is riding around in shite, plenty will want their cars tested again asap.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

no reason for it not to end after easing of lock down, an mot like insurance and road tax is a legality, and to many on here presuming their customers won't bother having a "late" mot instead using the 6 month rule (note current rule).

not everyone is riding around in shite, plenty will want their cars tested again asap.

That's unbelievable

I cant think of one customer including myself that is going to not use the full 18 month mot

I keep my vehicles 100% I do walk rounds on the transporters before they go out why would you go for an early mot

1 minute ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Do I have to explain to you eu block exemption?

If you are in retail  you will know that getting customers to sign in to packages of service and mot is the way to keep them in the dealer network

Explain your point please

you asked how franchises keep customers, i replied one answer is 5 year service packs, these are sold from new, don't confuse service packs with mots, nobody selling new cars is interested in selling future mots, service packs are not just sold to keep customers in the dealer network.

block exemption has nothing to do with mots, anyone with a test station can test any car anytime.

a simple explanation ? why do WE put 12 months mot on our cars ? to give customer peace of mind, and to cover our arse.

why do customers like 12 month mot ? peace of mind yes, but also, no spend [ in there mind] for a 12 month, so here, have another 6 month !

2 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

That's unbelievable

I cant think of one customer including myself that is going to not use the full 18 month mot

I keep my vehicles 100% I do walk rounds on the transporters before they go out why would you go for an early mot

thats because being in the trade you don't worry about your own cars, most customers have no mechanical nohow whatsoever, and plenty will be worried there car has issues, it suits the ones running shite for sure, but thats a minority.

2 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

you asked how franchises keep customers, i replied one answer is 5 year service packs, these are sold from new, don't confuse service packs with mots, nobody selling new cars is interested in selling future mots, service packs are not just sold to keep customers in the dealer network.

block exemption has nothing to do with mots, anyone with a test station can test any car anytime.

I'm sorry are you reading from a script

Dont confuse service packs with mots....

Im lost for words......

2 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

a simple explanation ? why do WE put 12 months mot on our cars ? to give customer peace of mind, and to cover our arse.

why do customers like 12 month mot ? peace of mind yes, but also, no spend [ in there mind] for a 12 month, so here, have another 6 month !

you put 12 months on as a selling point surely? its a choose, not the law, you don't have to supply a new mot do you...

1 minute ago, awc1000 said:

thats because being in the trade you don't worry about your own cars, most customers have no mechanical nohow whatsoever, and plenty will be worried there car has issues, it suits the ones running shite for sure, but thats a minority.

Again I'm lost for words

It's a real small minority of customers usually older than me and I appear to be the oldest that cling to the idea they want it safe

I think you must sell new cars and have  pointy shoes

4 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

you put 12 months on as a selling point surely? its a choose, not the law, you don't have to supply a new mot do you...

as i said customer peace of mind, surely that is a selling point ? 

Again I'm lost for words

It's a real small minority of customers usually older than me and I appear to be the oldest that cling to the idea they want it safe

I think you must sell new cars and have  pointy shoes

you think wrong then, i'm a trade buyer, started in 1982, happy to compare cv's with you anytime.

explain how you think a customer suddenly has an 18 month mot?  the 6 month extension is just that, which means none of it matters regards what is due a test next year, simply every car will be due a test next year which was the original o.p question. 

anyone who thinks the 6 month extension will be rolling after lock down is deluded.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

La la land? 

Mot is a health and safety check. 

The last thing the govt wants is faulty cars on the road causing accidents especially in winter months... Snow ice... Shitty brakes, bald tyres? 

If stores like BQ opening up which sell more rubbish than essential items, and the govt is looking to release information next week on how it will phase in businesses to open slowly, am sure the mot check will be required as soon. 

Its far safer leaving your keys at the desk and someone doing a test, than standing at BQ with your weiner in your hand touching a dirty trolley to buy some plant pots! 

The extension was bought in as an emergency measure primarily so key workers can get to work. The 6 months doesn't mean lockdown is removed in July and cars that got an expiry on 1st Aug got till end of Sept! 

If there is a second phase of the virus then yes there might be a longer lockdown and curfews etc

Think this lockdown has done some of you in :lol:

And am sure someone that has spent a decent amount money on a motor or who is anal about service history will get an mot sooner than later. It will be the tramps who won't. :rolleyes:

They'll either extend furlough to 6 months or reduce the MoT extension to line up with the end of the furlough period (currently end June). That way (apart from the anomoly of cars which didn't actually have an MoT so didn't get the extension, which will have created a tiny amount of build up demand) nobody loses out (too much) except for the 3-6 months or so of fixed costs.

At the end of the day, someone has to swallow the losses in fixed costs expense etc. There's the business support grant, don't forget. Unfortunately the other forms of support are in loans.

4 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

La la land? 

Mot is a health and safety check. 

The last thing the govt wants is faulty cars on the road causing accidents especially in winter months... Snow ice... Shitty brakes, bald tyres? 

If stores like BQ opening up which sell more rubbish than essential items, and the govt is looking to release information next week on how it will phase in businesses to open slowly, am sure the mot check will be required as soon. 

Its far safer leaving your keys at the desk and someone doing a test, than standing at BQ with your weiner in your hand touching a dirty trolley to buy some plant pots! 

The extension was bought in as an emergency measure primarily so key workers can get to work. The 6 months doesn't mean lockdown is removed in July and cars that got an expiry on 1st Aug got till end of Sept! 

If there is a second phase of the virus then yes there might be a longer lockdown and curfews etc

Think this lockdown has done some of you in :lol:

And am sure someone that has spent a decent amount money on a motor or who is anal about service history will get an mot sooner than later. It will be the tramps who won't. :rolleyes:

The extension was NOT bought in as an emergency measure primarily so key workers can get to work.

Re b n q please read my post on key workers !

Your obviously not in the trade meeting customers first hand, by the way, MY mot will be done every 12 month !

1 hour ago, awc1000 said:

you think wrong then, i'm a trade buyer, started in 1982, happy to compare cv's with you anytime.

explain how you think a customer suddenly has an 18 month mot?  the 6 month extension is just that, which means none of it matters regards what is due a test next year, simply every car will be due a test next year which was the original o.p question. 

anyone who thinks the 6 month extension will be rolling after lock down is deluded.

A trade buyer is not an end seller

I'm an not interested you started in 1982 that's yesterday

If you cant understand how this extension works then  please continue being the small guy under the rostrum who thinks he owns the place

A trade buyer is not an end seller

I'm an not interested you started in 1982 that's yesterday

If you cant understand how this extension works then  please continue being the small guy under the rostrum who thinks he owns the place

unlike yourself iv'e no need to stand under rostrums acting like a big-un, and the last time i did was whilst bidding up my own entry's in front of buyers like you who wouldnt have a clue whether i was buying or selling, but that was in the 90's , spent the last 20 years buying and underwriting the higher end stuff for franchises.

enjoy your return to the auction when you are allowed, i'll think of you when i'm still sat at home valuing and buying cars for and from franchises, all of which i will sell onto retail buyers who don't have to rely on auctions or credit.

6 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

unlike yourself iv'e no need to stand under rostrums acting like a big-un, and the last time i did was whilst bidding up my own entry's in front of buyers like you who wouldnt have a clue whether i was buying or selling, but that was in the 90's , spent the last 20 years buying and underwriting the higher end stuff for franchises.

enjoy your return to the auction when you are allowed, i'll think of you when i'm still sat at home valuing and buying cars for and from franchises, all of which i will sell onto retail buyers who don't have to rely on auctions or credit.

Haven't been to an auction proper since 1998 so your breath is wasted

I saw you there by the way in 1997 

So you've answered my question

Ps I hope dot didn't personally give you your bacon sandwich,  bless her soul  she was the best

25 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

The extension was NOT bought in as an emergency measure primarily so key workers can get to work.

Re b n q please read my post on key workers !

Your obviously not in the trade meeting customers first hand, by the way, MY mot will be done every 12 month !

Oh god here we go... Accusing others yet we dont know.... Everyone has their own client base. 

Not every buyer is a stingy tosspot. If someone is forking out £15k for a motor they will look after it. If you're selling a £1500 banger then stick with your mr mechanic know it alls. 

Some of us pick and choose who we sell to.

Some of you are later than usual... Guess this time at HMP is having a knock on effect... :lol:

Take it easy lads. 

Go do a crossword :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Haven't been to an auction proper since 1998 so your breath is wasted

I saw you there by the way in 1997 

So you've answered my question

Ps I hope dot didn't personally give you your bacon sandwich,  bless her soul  she was the best

according to your profile you were born in 94 so i guess you were still in your pram when you visited.

regards the bacon sandwich, well youv'e lost me.

3 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

The main issue with staffing in the automotive industry is that any good mechanic sooner or later realises working for £13/14 is pointless when they can work as an aircraft engineer and make close to double that. For such a skilled job it’s seriously underpaid.

You r 1000 percent correct mark the other thing I find is the bad ones think there worth upwards of £15 an hour and claim there the best as you say any good skilled is well worth that or maybe a little more at times

any time I've had staff I've always believed to look after them not even just with wages but maybe a wee bonus at Christmas a present or voucher  for the family and something as simple as a card and a cake on there birthdays go down well .actually I sometimes do the same with suppliers  

Edited by Casper

5 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Yes but no. What I mean is the govt don’t want it but unintentionally that’s exactly what they have authorised. All of the ‘but your car must remain roadworthy’ counts for sweet f.a. with many motorists.

I suspect the decision makers on govt policies such as this are well paid, live in reasonable conditions & keep their newish cars well maintained. Their decisions have mistakenly been made based on their standards.

They should of come here yesterday & seen the state of the tyres & a brake pipe on the old Fiesta I presented for MOT. I only mention this because purely by chance last year it was ‘my’ tester who passed it - only 12 months later it’s a death trap.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casper said:

You r 1000 percent correct mark the other thing I find is the bad ones think there worth upwards of £15 an hour and claim there the best as you say any good skilled is well worth that or maybe a little more at times

any time I've had staff I've always believed to look after them not even just with wages but maybe a wee bonus at Christmas a present or voucher  for the family and something as simple as a card and a cake on there birthdays go down well .actually I sometimes do the same with suppliers  

I’m the same Casper, all my staff are like family. One of my guys my missus even makes him dinners and sends then up the road with him as he lives himself. We all get on well and all come and go and help one another out and that’s the way it should be. 

With regard to the mots my own car will still be getting done on its 12 months as the gap in the history would annoy me. My car is well maintained and would pass so what’s the cost of a test fee? Wallies.

ps hope you and the family are well Casper.

• Like 1