Casper

Mot garages

Mot garage effect 6 month extension   

7 members have voted

1. 1. Effect of the 6 month mot extension mot garages no different or for sale/closed I've noticed a lot on sale around here over the past 2 years and my personal thoughts are we will see more what your thoughts

• no difference at all
    • Will see an increase in number and more up for sale or closing
    • Won't make any different and will still see people selling the business due to retirement etc
    • Gov will do a u turn before the year
    • Owner will put in extra effort to build up business
    • More work will be gained through it in 6 months with poorly neglected cars due to not being moted for longer period

What's your thoughts on the effects the extension will have on mot garages and repair business ? Be interested to here thoughts and views  

Edited by Casper

People will just take advantage of the extension for mots, with little regard for safety with the excuse "well i am on furlough".

my local mot station i would say 75% is mot repair work, and they do NOT look for work, guaranteed .

so for the next 6 month they may as well pull the door down, by the way, they have.

Cat magazine have it right,its going to decimate mot only garages this time next year,they are going to have no mot work in for 3 months

It's very very short thinking by dvsa,govt in my opinion

I see enough dangerous cars to know and I always fought for 3.1.1

Mots will open up sooner if idiots keep driving like nutters and causing accidents. 

If they behave and vast majority of journeys are A to B for everybody then they will not open soon as. 

But there will be plenty of work for MOT post lockdown as pretty much all cars will require an MOT

But this may be phased ie cars that had mot expired earlier must get it done first. 

9 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Mots will open up sooner if idiots keep driving like nutters and causing accidents. 

If they behave and vast majority of journeys are A to B for everybody then they will not open soon as. 

But there will be plenty of work for MOT post lockdown as pretty much all cars will require an MOT

But this may be phased ie cars that had mot expired earlier must get it done first. 

Hi tango

I have 2 personal cars sorned strangely they both run out of mot in this month of may

The wifes car also needs an mot this month

They are all getting extended by 6 months so will need a new mot in November

Theres basically very few mot garages open and even less mot 's being carried out now and for the last 5 weeks  and until sometime in June at the current trend

So

Cast yourself forward to march april may next year,what mot work are these garages going to get other than distress work?

Thank you

Edited by New year revolutions......

11 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Hi tango

I have 2 personal cars sorned strangely they both run out of mot in this month of may

The wifes car also needs an mot this month

They are all getting extended by 6 months so will need a new mot in November

Theres basically very few mot garages open and even less mot 's being carried out now and for the last 5 weeks  and until sometime in June at the current trend

So

Cast yourself forward to march april may next year,what mot work are these garages going to get other than distress work?

Thank you

I don't think it will be distress work. 

Consumers will be appreciative as they have been for other key workers. 

On top of that if garages are selling up and the ones that are left, they will be inundated and will take on extra staff to cope with the volume of work. Govt will allow discretion to extend opening hours for example. 

One thing this pandemic has shown and taught is that people need to be appreciative and have patience. 

8 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

I don't think it will be distress work. 

Consumers will be appreciative as they have been for other key workers. 

On top of that if garages are selling up and the ones that are left, they will be inundated and will take on extra staff to cope with the volume of work. Govt will allow discretion to extend opening hours for example. 

One thing this pandemic has shown and taught is that people need to be appreciative and have patience. 

What?

Are you in this job?

Most people wont spend a penny on their car unless it becomes an issue for them,they will even be happy to hear a squeak or a bang if the car still drives,you Jack the car up and a road spring is about to impale a tyre wall

My mot garage has been in business doing mots since the 60,s it is properly run and employes 3 , plus one from college trainee

Pray tell where their revenue stream is going to come from in the 3 months next year I've outlined, let's assume I'm still in business and the other 2 traders who use them are too,we dont give them any work we just pay trade price on quantity for our mots

They depend on mot testing to pay their Bill's the ramps get most of their work from failure s

This garage is as straight as they come

Customers being appreciative does not pay Bill's

Sometimes I despair on here

(This all assumes its not reversed...)

Its pretty much a given that 6 months worth of work will not be there, with very limited 'build up demand' for stuff to help once it does restart. I have no idea how an MoT-only garage would cope with that length of downturn. They're going to have to diversify, I guess.

The greater fear is that customers further lose confidence in the whole MoT scheme - "We got by with the 18 month thing, my car still goes forwards and backwards so it must be okay" - especially in a post-recession dystopia.

42 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

What?

Are you in this job?

Most people wont spend a penny on their car unless it becomes an issue for them,they will even be happy to hear a squeak or a bang if the car still drives,you Jack the car up and a road spring is about to impale a tyre wall

My mot garage has been in business doing mots since the 60,s it is properly run and employes 3 , plus one from college trainee

Pray tell where their revenue stream is going to come from in the 3 months next year I've outlined, let's assume I'm still in business and the other 2 traders who use them are too,we dont give them any work we just pay trade price on quantity for our mots

They depend on mot testing to pay their Bill's the ramps get most of their work from failure s

I agree. We are looking down both barrels of a recession/depression. Many people will have their backs against the wall and if their car starts and goes then they won't spend any money on it. The proportion of the general public who properly look after their cars is very small. Many don't even check fluids and tyres from one year to the next.

Yes Mot’s won’t need done for 6 months but cars will still have faults, they will wear out tyres, brakes, service lights will come on, 

The new Vauxhall’s for example go into limp mode if they overrun there service intervals by a decent bit. 

If a car is in with us for anything we give it a quick skim over and give the customer a list of advisories if any. Some choose to do them some don’t, we don’t push sales just give advice. We have went from doing 10/15 Mot’s a week to doing about 2/3 but we are still sending out mot reminders to customers as if there car is properly maintained the actual test doesn’t cost much.

• Like 2

Apart from the vehicles that will be taken off the road over the next six months all those that needed an MOT this year will still need one, MOT stations with enough staff will need to ensure everyone takes holidays in the summer of 2021 and they work through the winter. MOT stations will have one long peak trading period for a few years, following the government extension and in any industry peaks and troughs a hard to manage. It will be difficult for some and like any of these problems will suit those with the deepest pockets best.

2 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

What?

Are you in this job?

Dont think you read my earlier post. 

The pandemic doesn't mean there will be no mots in the future for cars. 

Once lockdown is lifted cars will need an mot and there will be a huge backlog of cars and vans needing one. There will be plenty of work for testers. 

Dont see why that is really hard to understand. 

If lockdown is lifted in August am sure the govt will say cars need their mot done. Its not exactly a jail free card until November. Sooner it is lifted sooner things will go back in place. Simple as that. 

Edited by TangoVictor32

2 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

What?

Are you in this job?

The good small Indy garage repair shops will always be busy whether they do MOT’s or not.

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

The good small Indy garage repair shops will always be busy whether they do MOT’s or not.

Exactly. Who does mot only? Charge full whack at £54 and you only do one mot a day?! 

Mot testing is an add on for garages. 

If you're only offerint mots then you might as well herd sheep. 

Only council mot stations offer this to joe public as they have to legally but they carry out their own work to their own fleet which is all funded by the council purse. 

2 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

there will be a huge backlog of cars and vans needing one.

There won't be a backlog. No cars (which had MoT on 30 Mar) will be due an MoT until 30 Sept and all cars which had an MoT, get the extension.

There will be a small handful of cars which for various reasons didn't have an MoT on 30th March, if they're to be used on the road again they'll need one but its a small proportion.

11 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Dont think you read my earlier post. 

The pandemic doesn't mean there will be no mots in the future for cars. 

Once lockdown is lifted cars will need an mot and there will be a huge backlog of cars and vans needing one. There will be plenty of work for testers. 

Dont see why that is really hard to understand. 

If lockdown is lifted in August am sure the govt will say cars need their mot done. Its not exactly a jail free card until November. Sooner it is lifted sooner things will go back in place. Simple as that. 

agreed, i have seven to do the garage we use already has a backlog of work to get stuck into.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I'm obviously not getting my point through

Please read this link

http://www.catmag.co.uk/extended-mot-will-have-catastrophic-effect-say-trade-bodies

More bullshit.I do not know any good workshops who were down 50% before lockdown.The problem I constantly hear is that they cannot get good all round mechanics anymore.There must be thousands of vacancies.I know one place who recently employed a good all round mechanic,overall it took 6 months to get him.It is probably easier to sign an out of contract top premier league striker.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, trade vet said:

More bullshit.I do not know any good workshops who were down 50% before lockdown.The problem I constantly hear is that they cannot get good all round mechanics anymore.There must be thousands of vacancies.I know one place who recently employed a good all round mechanic,overall it took 6 months to get him.It is probably easier to sign an out of contract top premier league striker.

Out mot station / garage has gone back to taking kids from college and training them up in house the shortage of skilled staff is a real problem for them.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

More bullshit.I do not know any good workshops who were down 50% before lockdown.The problem I constantly hear is that they cannot get good all round mechanics anymore.There must be thousands of vacancies.I know one place who recently employed a good all round mechanic,overall it took 6 months to get him.It is probably easier to sign an out of contract top premier league 

Factors business is down 50%

Please read the article I proffered rather than speed scanning it  .......geees 

I haven't bought anything in 5 weeks

X  that by many businesses like mine that are shut that run their own workshops apurely to support the  car sales and with customer repairs as a nice add on if we have previously sold it

12 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Factors business is down 50%

Please read the article I proffered rather than speed scanning it  .......geees 

I haven't bought anything in 5 weeks

X  that by many businesses like mine that are shut that run their own workshops apurely to support the  car sales and with customer repairs as a nice add on if we have previously sold it

If you are talking about the lockdown,factors will be down a lot more than 50%.Not many Euros vans about.Also,I have an involvement with a usually busy car sales and workshop business,it’s closed up.Unlike restaurants and gyms,when it reopens it will be OK,like the other workshops nearbye.

What about garden nurseries,they invest a load of money in stock ( often borrowed ) ,work like hell to get it ready and only have 3 months to sell it to cover 12 months expenses.They are closed up and will be dumping stock and many will go bust .

One thing with this lockdown,small businesses in future will have learnt to have a cash reserve rather than operate on the edge.

Rant Over !

Staff is difficult the old school guys are no longer around and all the ones straight out of college automatically assume there the best a wise Mann once told me never trust anyone who says there the best or good at there job but listen if others do . Guys used to send cvs in to a garage I worked in the owner used to bin them I read through a few and one of the guys look promising wish I had kept them all in a folder now at the time . But guess you never think . 

Or local painters are worst and harder to find 

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

Edited by Casper

22 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Cat magazine have it right,its going to decimate mot only garages this time next year,they are going to have no mot work in for 3 months

It's very very short thinking by dvsa,govt in my opinion

I see enough dangerous cars to know and I always fought for 3.1.1

why would it decimate mot only garages this time next year? we are only talking about mot business that has been lost during lock down, currently that's about a month's worth, the 6 month extension will likely be scrapped sooner rather than later, it is after all easily possible for a customer to distance themselves from their car whilst having an mot test,and likewise for the mot tester, lets not forget the 6 month extension was quickly thought out during crisis, its very unlikely they will honour that period once folks are let back out.

It beggars belief some of the thoughts on this forum, and at times makes me wonder how some survive in this job.

here is exactly what will happen next year regarding mots and how much business the mot stations can expect, all figures quoted are fact not dreamt up like some of the dross finding its way onto the forum.

next year most vehicles with a current mot will need another one at some point - that's millions of cars, at the same time every car that was registered new in 2018 will be due its first mot at some point - that is another 2.7 million vehicles due an mot test, (2018 confirmed registrations). at what point these vehicles are due a test matters not.

if any mot stations cant make a living out of that volume of cars then they should give up, most make good money on mot's, the clever ones will not be worrying about next year because next years quota has already been decided  in 2018 (2.7 million new cars plus whatever is already out there)   they will be doing the sums for the year 2023 when they are likely to see an actual decline in numbers partly based on the inevitable decline in new registrations expected for this year.

Edited by awc1000

The main issue with staffing in the automotive industry is that any good mechanic sooner or later realises working for £13/14 is pointless when they can work as an aircraft engineer and make close to double that. For such a skilled job it’s seriously underpaid.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

they can work as an aircraft engineer 

Don't think we need to worry about that for a while.