James Baggott

Trade plates can be used unaccompanied for test drives

After the great work of Jim and Umesh at the IMDA getting clarification on this, we've followed it up with the DVLA tonight and they have confirmed dealers can let customers in the future go out unaccompanied on test drives using trade plates - insurance permitting.

Story here

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/dvla-confirms-car-buyers-can-take-unaccompanied-test-drives-trade-plates/191239

They have done this because I've been phoning them every day asking for mine to be sorned

The bastards

:lol:

On a positive note paperwork needs to be watertight before any customer allowed out on a test drive even more so unacompanied 

It wont happen here but I would be fitting gpr tracking cameras in any car I let out to confirm no nips etc

Maybe one for lawgistics to do a legal on 

• Like 2

Thanks james don't think i fancy it either but went to the local vw dealer years ago before arnold bought it and got one . 

Edited by Casper

12 hours ago, James Baggott said:

After the great work of Jim and Umesh at the IMDA getting clarification on this, we've followed it up with the DVLA tonight and they have confirmed dealers can let customers in the future go out unaccompanied on test drives using trade plates - insurance permitting.

Story here

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/dvla-confirms-car-buyers-can-take-unaccompanied-test-drives-trade-plates/191239

Yeah great work all, received the confirmation yesterday morning - thanks

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Great move by the DVLA (and Jim/Umesh), although it should really be made permanent. It is, after all, only covering us for road tax - not MOT or insurance. I'm sure we have all let people out unaccompanied on trade plates before. The crucial thing, as mentioned by James and in the article itself, is insurance. Unaccompanied test drives/demos cover is not standard on most road risks insurance policies - it's an optional extra. My company has had it for a good number of years as we find that letting Mr & Mrs out on their own often seals the deal as they are under zero pressure and very often sell the car to themselves. This is only after they have been properly qualified and have initially been out for a spin with one of our sales advisors though!

Edited by Charlie Chopper

Unless you qualify your customers carefully

Once this information gets on social media  it's going to be a tyre kickers paradise

This is why short term at least from my perspective this isn't going to happen with my cars, they will have to have to accept my cars have been through my very comprehensive appraisal package better than any main dealer would do and so no unacompanied  drives will be offered at this time

Subject to future reassesment 

Edited by New year revolutions......
Spullin

Slightly old thread resurrection but I contacted my insurance company to enquire about unaccompanied test drives last week and received the response yesterday... it left me somewhat speechless.

£250 increase to premium - yep, ok.... expected that

only drivers aged 30+ and >12 months license - not a problem, my market is more mature enthusiasts

need to keep a log of drivers license details plus one other form of ID with address, date/time/car driven etc - mmm, ok.  This is starting to get ballachy, but carry on....

not covered for theft - starting to feel uncomfortable now

excess in event of a claim is 25% of the cars value, which was kindly explained to me if the car was worth £2000, the excess would be £500 - great, thanks... I can do quarters, by the way my cars are 5-20k. Really not happy now.

Then, this little gem...

amd finally, the car will need to be taxed - wait, uh... what?!?!  

Yes sir, you can’t use trade plates, the car will need to be taxed - are you on crack?  You realise that as trade we are not supposed to tax cars (in fact it’s fraudulent to do so) and that is why we have trade plates... this went on for a good couple of minutes, I just couldn’t get through to them.

Naturally I’ve politely told them to poke it and will have to try to reopen using PPE (masks) whilst on test drives. 

Absolutely incredible.

2 hours ago, brightonpad said:

Slightly old thread resurrection but I contacted my insurance company to enquire about unaccompanied test drives last week and received the response yesterday... it left me somewhat speechless.

only drivers aged 30+ and >12 months license - not a problem, my market is more mature enthusiasts

need to keep a log of drivers license details plus one other form of ID with address, date/time/car driven etc - mmm, ok.  This is starting to get ballachy, but carry on....

excess in event of a claim is 25% of the cars value, which was kindly explained to me if the car was worth £2000, the excess would be £500 - great, thanks... I can do quarters, by the way my cars are 5-20k. Really not happy now.

Then, this little gem...

Yes sir, you can’t use trade plates, the car will need to be taxed - are you on crack?  You realise that as trade we are not supposed to tax cars (in fact it’s fraudulent to do so) and that is why we have trade plates... this went on for a good couple of minutes, I just couldn’t get through to them.

Naturally I’ve politely told them to poke it and will have to try to reopen using PPE (masks) whilst on test drives. 

Absolutely incredible.

Which insurer was this if you don't mind me asking? I was about to call ours (NIG) to ask the same question. Never been keen on sending them out on their own to be honest and I don't think I have ever been covered for it in all my years trading. I'm pretty sure some insurers won't even entertain it

6 minutes ago, Autolink100 said:

Which insurer was this if you don't mind me asking? I was about to call ours (NIG) to ask the same question. Never been keen on sending them out on their own to be honest and I don't think I have ever been covered for it in all my years trading. I'm pretty sure some insurers won't even entertain it

Sorry to say it was NIG... not directly, through a broker but the underwriter is NIG....

Maybe it's for the best, like you I wasn't really keen either but want to find a way to get going again safely.

Letting 80% of test drive out on their own will be a licence to either stop the car and remove parts , Get a mate to plug it in and potentially ruin your car , Thrash the nuts off it depending on car type , Steal the plates , Steal the Car , Get a ticket , 

Test drivers dream when they get to know they can take it out on their own . 

I've actually stopped numerous test drives only last year to take the keys and drive them back . Incompetence , breaking laws , cant bloody drive .

Not for me till i rethink this through . 

Only have to lose ONE car and any benefits of doing the deal because you let drivers out solo is GONE 

I hope the following list helps, it's not complete but it covers the insurers that we have asked the question of at the moment. Some insurers issue wordings that list the named drivers allowed to use trade plates (they may just say "the policyholder or any employee", which does not work for unaccompanied demo), these wordings would need to be changed; easy enough on a most motor certificates but much more difficult in the policy wording. It sounds like NIG have queried the recent change in stance by the DVLA in regard to trade plates and are currently slow to respond to market needs, but they have advised they will provide an update soon. We are a motor trade broker, some brokers may not get as much flexibility but the following would be a good rule of thumb in regard to what to expect:  

Insurer

Un-accompanied Demo?

Caveats?

Allianz (Q-Underwriting)

Yes on request

Case by case and subsequent premium charge

Sales t/o of at least £500k but Allianz have been approached for thoughts on risks with sales t/o less than £500k

Full Risk Management Checks need to be adhered to.

Arch

Yes on request

Aviva

Yes on request

Axa

Yes on request

NIG

Yes on request

DVLA communication still under review. Update to follow.

QBE

Yes on request

Full Risk Management Checks need to be adhered to

Roadrunner

No

Capacity provider AXA have been approached for review.

SEIB

Yes on request

35% Road Risks premium load for duration of extension

Separate Trade Plate Certificate issued

Travelers

Yes on request

Unicorn

Yes and No

Case by case

Capacity providers have been approached for review.

A personal suggestion for test drives would be to get a basic camera and stick it in the car prior to the test drive, tell the customer it's an insurance requirement. I know some will disconnect it, but if they do, tell them they will not get another test drive in any of your vehicles. (It's only an idea). 

Qualification of customers is the key, price of stock (half of mine I’d just sign out the V5 & mentally write it off rather than have a theft recorded) although I guess your stock profile will have the biggest impact on the bellend rating of your punters - imagine telling VAG-man or some undesirable specimen on a p/x BMW they’re free to go out on their own :unsure:

6 hours ago, brightonpad said:

Then, this little gem...

Absolutely incredible.

Not just incredible. But like heroes! In these difficult times we can show our appreciation for insurance companies by not clapping for them?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Letting 80% of test drive out on their own will be a licence to either stop the car and remove parts , Get a mate to plug it in and potentially ruin your car , Thrash the nuts off it depending on car type , Steal the plates , Steal the Car , Get a ticket , 

Test drivers dream when they get to know they can take it out on their own . 

I've actually stopped numerous test drives only last year to take the keys and drive them back . Incompetence , breaking laws , cant bloody drive .

Not for me till i rethink this through . 

Only have to lose ONE car and any benefits of doing the deal because you let drivers out solo is GONE 

a retailer i spoke with came up with a decent solution, after meeting the customer and being happy they are genuine - use the company hack and go out together, they follow you = your route at your pace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, awc1000 said:

a retailer i spoke with came up with a decent solution, after meeting the customer and being happy they are genuine - use the company hack and go out together, they follow you = your route at your pace.

Eh? What’s decent about that?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BHM said:

Eh? What’s decent about that?

whats not decent about it? its not ideal but will work for some surely,

12 hours ago, awc1000 said:

whats not decent about it? its not ideal but will work for some surely,

Still classed as unaccompanied though so they won't be insured. Not ideal at all