James Baggott

Not the cheeriest of stories, but here's the picture from Germany

yes that one was a shocker, its going to be very very interesting when you run the interview with mr j from romans, especially after others in this sector have already spoken.

definitely a case of different views depending on what business model you are using.......

12 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

Love the 570S. Could never ever live with the infotainment system. It’s the most infuriating thing in the world. Great car to drive but I’d go mad with that before the need of the first week. 

See the value of this?

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/mclaren-supercar-sells-online-auction-half-original-price-drops-temporary-blip/191325

13 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

Love the 570S. Could never ever live with the infotainment system. It’s the most infuriating thing in the world. Great car to drive but I’d go mad with that before the need of the first week. 

See the value of this?

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/mclaren-supercar-sells-online-auction-half-original-price-drops-temporary-blip/191325

You dont buy that to go to sainsbobs

You buy it to burn rubber round arrods

Or you buy it as an investment 

So the market at the moment for it is nick it or leave it

McLarens have just never enjoyed the strong residual of Ferrari or Porsche Models. 
Lamborghini hold fairly strong but a little behind the other 2.

McLaren are a long way behind. 

Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini will always buy a car back off you. You will take a hit but they will buy it to keep the market high. Having that amount in a car I’d be looking for that get out and liquidity and reassurance.

McLaren don’t even want their own cars back.

• Like 2

Know a couple of people with 570 / 720, one uses his most days without problems, the other two are keen to get out of them as unreliable and lots of defects with paint etc.  Warranty is essential on these but annual renewal is just shy of £5000.  

As for main dealers, purchased a car 2018 car for a client last year from a main dealer, paid just shy of £180k so expected it to be right, has been back several times for things that should have been sorted pre delivery and in March this year found out the year one service was not completed.....

• Like 1

“Supercars are like beautiful women, they need constant attention!”

:D

1 hour ago, Contracts said:

Know a couple of people with 570 / 720, one uses his most days without problems, the other two are keen to get out of them as unreliable and lots of defects with paint etc.  Warranty is essential on these but annual renewal is just shy of £5000.  

As for main dealers, purchased a car 2018 car for a client last year from a main dealer, paid just shy of £180k so expected it to be right, has been back several times for things that should have been sorted pre delivery and in March this year found out the year one service was not completed.....

You will be popular with your ‘client’ then.Expecting a main dealer to do everything right,that is very unprofessional if you don’t mind me saying.
I think you should do the proper thing and refund your ‘client’........ha ha !

• Haha 1

I've never owned or even driven a McLaren but I've heard bad things about them. Poor paint and panel fit and finish. Poor reliability. I suspect that like a lot of 'supercars' they are mainly for looking at and maybe driving 2000 miles a year.  Owners then either keep them a long time as a collector's item or quickly get bored and sell them for something different. Porsche are good though - they do seem to be usable in the long term.

My main goal is a Lamborghini Huracan but I simply can’t afford one of them, a decent 570s with low mileage can be bought for 80/90k which with a large deposit makes it manageable on a pcp deal but a comparable lambo the cost price is around £120k which makes the monthlies slightly eye watering. 

I have been researching the 570’s quite a lot and although some have issues it is the same with any supercars. We had a 5.0 V10 Gallardo in the workshop with 36k miles for oil consumption issues that needed a full rebuild which came to close to 30k which most surprisingly the warranty company paid for after 2 engineers inspections.

We are only 15 mins walk from a major hospital and we have quite few customers who work there. One doctor had a Ferrari 348 which he used to bring to us for a yearly service and MoT. It only did about 1000 miles a year. His daily car (which we also looked after) was a Toyota Avensis 1.8 !    The Avensis was far better built!

3 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

One doctor had a Ferrari 348 which he used to bring to us for a yearly service and MoT. It only did about 1000 miles a year. His daily car (which we also looked after) was a Toyota Avensis 1.8 !    The Avensis was far better built!

I tried a 348 & a Mondial 3.4 a few years ago and they both felt horrid, like thrown together kit cars. They drove like shit as well & didn’t feel particularly quick. Funnily enough at the same time I tried a 928 & my conclusion was it was just a boring 2 door Mercedes. I just don’t ‘get’ those sort of cars, and while I’m on it them Honda S2000s are shite and further down the rung MX5 are diabolical.

Mind you, 348s seem to be on the increase so another ship has left the dock without me.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

We are only 15 mins walk from a major hospital and we have quite few customers who work there. One doctor had a Ferrari 348 which he used to bring to us for a yearly service and MoT. It only did about 1000 miles a year. His daily car (which we also looked after) was a Toyota Avensis 1.8 !    The Avensis was far better built!

There is a Ferrari on Autotrader with 85k miles, just looking at it scares me! Ticking time bomb with that mileage! 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002257716050?atmobcid=soc4

6 hours ago, trade vet said:

You will be popular with your ‘client’ then.Expecting a main dealer to do everything right,that is very unprofessional if you don’t mind me saying.
I think you should do the proper thing and refund your ‘client’........ha ha !

We have an email stating the car was being “serviced” as this was part of the agreement and was the reason the car was delayed.  In reality it seems someone reset the light and hoped nobody would notice.  

The client is aware and not really bothered but we are waiting for the dealer to advise how we progress.  

46 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

There is a Ferrari on Autotrader with 85k miles, just looking at it scares me! Ticking time bomb with that mileage! 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002257716050?atmobcid=soc4

Has been up for a while, has previously been wrapped with an aftermarket wing and painted.  Surprised at that price it’s not going for a foreign holiday.

3 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

My main goal is a Lamborghini Huracan but I simply can’t afford one of them, a decent 570s with low mileage can be bought for 80/90k which with a large deposit makes it manageable on a pcp deal but a comparable lambo the cost price is around £120k which makes the monthlies slightly eye watering. 

I have been researching the 570’s quite a lot and although some have issues it is the same with any supercars. We had a 5.0 V10 Gallardo in the workshop with 36k miles for oil consumption issues that needed a full rebuild which came to close to 30k which most surprisingly the warranty company paid for after 2 engineers inspections.

I know a full Yorkie Spec ( part of the Brighouse closed shop ) Top Car trader now retired.Some people might know what I mean.He tells a good story about a mate who a good while ago had to have a effing Lamboeffinghini ( his words ).He warned him to no avail but the guy pays £150 grand for one from that well known trader in the Blackpool area ( who I have forgotten )..He gets told on handover,don’t forget if you want to blow 10 grand just give me a call and I will have it back.The guy has it a few weeks and he hates it and everyone is laughing at him and taking the piss.So he rings the trader up for a chat and the trader asks after the car and the guy says ‘I love it,it’s brilliant.’The trader then says don’t forget if you want to blow 10 grand,bring it back and I will put the money in your bank.The guy says,’ I will be around in 40 minutes’.

• Like 1

Another Lambo story to pass the time.This one from 20 years ago was widely publicised at the time and might still be online.

As I recall,this  London guy is in his 60’s,lives alone in a flat from where he runs a successful cigarette vending business called Fagomatic.He has a van and works day and night and never goes on holiday.Using the van however restricts him from doing more lucrative business with exclusive London clubs.Apparently doormen would not allow him to park his van directly outside as it ‘lowers the tone ‘ and he could not park it elswhere as it was too risky late at night.

So to get round this problem he buys a new Diablo.This investment subsequently works and business flourishes because it looks good parked outside club entrances late at night and also impresses doormen and there is also less risk of having his cigarette stock stolen.

However,after buying the Diablo he claimed back £25k VAT as he was only using it as a commercial vehicle.However the VAT people did not agree and wanted their money back and the case went before the Tax Commissioners.Also at stake was the non payment of company car tax which would be another £20k per year for a Diablo.

Incredible as it sounds the Lambo guy won the case as he was able to prove that since buying it, his business had increased by 50%.He also proved that he mostly used his van and the Diablo was parked up in a secure public car park in the same spot during the day.

However I understand that sometime later and unfortunately for Lambo man, the Vat people successfully appealed the Tax Commissioners ruling to the High Court .

It reminds me of car dealers in the distant past who would have flash smokers to help impress main dealer sales managers to get offered  first choice of all the best swappers.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, metcars said:

“Supercars are like beautiful women, they need constant attention!”

:D

Don't all women need that not just the beautiful ones :lol: or is that the wages at the end of week 

Edited by Casper

14 minutes ago, Casper said:

Don't all women need that not just the beautiful ones :lol: or is that the wages at the end of week 

Most but not all:

1*79nRWhJ2hYzpHfXnSGc5hQ.jpeg

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Most but not all:

1*79nRWhJ2hYzpHfXnSGc5hQ.jpeg

Wow I have been in both zones,the tiffany with the blade still gives me nightmares though

31 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Another Lambo story to pass the time.This one from 20 years ago was widely publicised at the time and might still be online.

As I recall,this  London guy is in his 60’s,lives alone in a flat from where he runs a successful cigarette vending business called Fagomatic.He has a van and works day and night and never goes on holiday.Using the van however restricts him from doing more lucrative business with exclusive London clubs.Apparently doormen would not allow him to park his van directly outside as it ‘lowers the tone ‘ and he could not park it elswhere as it was too risky late at night.

So to get round this problem he buys a new Diablo.This investment subsequently works and business flourishes because it looks good parked outside club entrances late at night and also impresses doormen and there is also less risk of having his cigarette stock stolen.

However,after buying the Diablo he claimed back £25k VAT as he was only using it as a commercial vehicle.However the VAT people did not agree and wanted their money back and the case went before the Tax Commissioners.Also at stake was the non payment of company car tax which would be another £20k per year for a Diablo.

Incredible as it sounds the Lambo guy won the case as he was able to prove that since buying it, his business had increased by 50%.He also proved that he mostly used his van and the Diablo was parked up in a secure public car park in the same spot during the day.

However I understand that sometime later and unfortunately for Lambo man, the Vat people successfully appealed the Tax Commissioners ruling to the High Court .

It reminds me of car dealers in the distant past who would have flash smokers to help impress main dealer sales managers to get offered  first choice of all the best swappers.

Just found it online

Very interesting story

• Like 1

The chart is surprisingly accurate. Having spent most of my adult life with angry Irish red heads chasing me around the house, one did have a knife! Not a word of a lie!:D

On 5/2/2020 at 5:07 PM, MarkTVS said:

One day Mark everything comes to those who wait ..