hondansxr

new scrappage scheme

so there are  calls for a new schrappage scheme ... thats it help the big boys out again .... it desimated the s/h car business last time , there are thousands  prob millions who cannot get a new car ... i have just sold a 53 reg jaguar that was in the words of the customer "stunning  condition"  with a warranty for 1299 , they had an insurance pay out from their last car 1500 quid,  that would be thier depo and the monthly payments ontop .... or 15 months of 99 a month they still have 21 months of payments and no car at the end   so how is that helpful ....

Edited by hondansxr

I have a funny feeling there won't be a scrappage scheme, or anything which incentivises buyers to buy (expensive) cars. The government will be under immense pressure from all areas of business, car manufacture is some way down on that list compared to others (pubs & restaurants?)

A quote I like from one of these coronavirus documentaries:

"If someone tells you they know what's going to happen in the future, they're lying".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I have a funny feeling there won't be a scrappage scheme, or anything which incentivises buyers to buy (expensive) cars. The government will be under immense pressure from all areas of business, car manufacture is some way down on that list compared to others (pubs & restaurants?)

A quote I like from one of these coronavirus documentaries:

"If someone tells you they know what's going to happen in the future, they're lying".

Watched part of that documentary  last night and thought to myself well said 

Maybe we should have a "reverse" scrappage scheme? The environmental emissions targets for 2040 are now met, due to the massive inactivity and downturn in the economy, with an amount of wiggle room too. Oil has crashed too. Oh and 2/3 of the petrol stations went out of business so your car needs 200+ miles range to get anywhere. So we don't actually need to ponce about with overly expensive electric cars any more. As an incentive to keep bangers going, they'll suspend the entire MoT scheme for a bit too.

Said in jest of course, but there's an element of truth in it!!

Thing is with scrappage scheme it does not cost the government anything, they actually profit from it, pre lockdown many manufacturers / dealers had this scheme going anyway, it did'nt help ?

More bleeding i10s out there :D

unsaleable pieces of cardboard does not help us lot on the factory floor :wacko:

Scrappage scheme or not, the new car (and the high end secondhand) is propped up by finance. I have a feeling a sensible government wouldn't keep propping it up because if they did so, it would collapse sooner or later. Also I think customers aren't stupid any more, those who can afford a new car can remember the 2009 recession and demand will go down - a lot - irrespective of an artificial government incentive. 

Also it targets only a fraction of those who might need help anyway - banger>new car is quite unusual.

I sense the car industry will (have to) make the "adjustment" themselves - and it will be brutal for the UK. If you're involved in screwing together cars in the UK, or screwing new car customers on PCPs, use this time to learn a new skill.

• Thanks 1

Reading this weekend about the just in time ordering and how it's going to be difficult to restart the lines when they are dependant on so many small factories

I'm against scrappage the people who really run this country need their 54 plate focus to get to work ,buying a new car is just a dream to them

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Reading this weekend about the just in time ordering and how it's going to be difficult to restart the lines when they are dependant on so many small factories

I'm against scrappage the people who really run this country need their 54 plate focus to get to work ,buying a new car is just a dream to them

Well said plus i love a banger and old smoker so it saddens me to see all those potential runarounds scrapped . Do you think many scrap-age scheme cars actually got away  ie rare models etc 

13 minutes ago, Casper said:

Well said plus i love a banger and old smoker so it saddens me to see all those potential runarounds scrapped . Do you think many scrap-age scheme cars actually got away  ie rare models etc 

Go on youtube

My local new car dealer had better stock than me at one time

1 minute ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Go on youtube

My local new car dealer had better stock than me at one time

Ill have a look always thought there would have been 

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

I sense the car industry will (have to) make the "adjustment" themselves - and it will be brutal for the UK. If you're involved in screwing together cars in the UK, or screwing new car customers on PCPs, use this time to learn a new skill.

And let’s hope that ‘new skill’ isn’t buying ‘cheap’, as what happened in the last recession when the big guys desperate to sell anything put the prices through the roof at the block?

3 hours ago, Paul C said:

Scrappage scheme or not, the new car (and the high end secondhand) is propped up by finance. I have a feeling a sensible government wouldn't keep propping it up because if they did so, it would collapse sooner or later. Also I think customers aren't stupid any more, those who can afford a new car can remember the 2009 recession and demand will go down - a lot - irrespective of an artificial government incentive. 

Also it targets only a fraction of those who might need help anyway - banger>new car is quite unusual.

Completely agree with this. UK new car retailing  has been built on foundations of sand - just look at the share prices of the big groups PRIOR to Covid. I also think that Brexit is going to be a much bigger shock than most people realise. Prior to Covid the EU were trying hard to avoid us leaving on a No Deal (WTO) basis. I think that now they would be very happy to see us on WTO terms. The tariffs will make car (and component) manufacturing in the UK uneconomic and the EU will benefit from that. The only way out for us will be a huge 'competitive devaluation' of Sterling - around 25% or more - which I think could be on the cards anyway. Then look forward to high inflation and a big fall in living standards. The government is currently increasing the national debt by 50%. Adding together public and private debt the UK is about to become the most indebted nation in the developed world, proportionate to GDP.

I have already shifted all my cash savings into an HSBC US$-denominated offshore account. I own two properties overseas and I'm getting ready to bail out of the UK permanently. Very worried for my kids though.

Edited by Halfpenny

11 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Completely agree with this. 

I have already shifted all my cash savings into an HSBC US$-denominated offshore account. I own two properties overseas and I'm getting ready to bail out of the UK permanently. Very worried for my kids though.

Cant imagine why you are doing this

My lovely Santander have sent me a gorgeous letter telling me that out of the goodness of their hearts they have changed my interest on my cash isa to a great 0.01 percent

This equates to a full whole £1 per tax year per£10,000

The wife and I (shes not the queen mind) have sat here in our grow bags this last 3 hours trying to work out what we will do with this vast amount of money next april if we are still here

Edited by New year revolutions......
  • Haha 1

wondered when the BREXIT  bit would arrive ... give our own companies the money to inveszt in home built cars instead of german cars flooding the country  .. help the likes of lotus ..to biuld an electric / petrol hybrid  family car they  (lotus ) , already have a deal with toyota for the engine whynot a hybrid with handling ????

13 minutes ago, hondansxr said:

wondered when the BREXIT  bit would arrive ... give our own companies the money to inveszt in home built cars instead of german cars flooding the country  .. help the likes of lotus ..to biuld an electric / petrol hybrid  family car they  (lotus ) , already have a deal with toyota for the engine whynot a hybrid with handling ????

Lotus is Chinese(owned by Geely). Think the biggest British owned producer of cars is Metrocabs. Dont know if we all want to be driving cabs to be honest.

32 minutes ago, Highlinev8 said:

Lotus is Chinese(owned by Geely). Think the biggest British owned producer of cars is Metrocabs. Dont know if we all want to be driving cabs to be honest.

It’d be preferable to tasteless BMWs & Audis.

• Like 1

The main thing I’m seeing forecast is inflation, welcomed by the government to inflate away their debts, ditto those with student loans, etc. 
I’m not sure bailing the uk is the solution unless you avoid the US or Europe who are likely to experience similar. 

Time to buy property and sit tight I think. 

3 hours ago, Highlinev8 said:

Metrocabs is part of KamKorp - owned by an Indian guy Kamal Siddiqi.  He also owns Bristol cars. To be fair at least their HQ is in the UK.

3 hours ago, hondansxr said:

Sounds a fantastic idea, let's get started ...   And don't worry, Rodney. This time next year, we'll be millionaires!

• Haha 1