Casper

New mobile phone time advice

Hi folks i know its not car related so sorry for that but phone contract is up for renewal soon and my old i phone is  past its best no latest updates not much memory etc 

not sure if i should stick to apple or go with something else samsung maybe ? any one here got any thoughts on good value handsets or networks and is it best to stick with one network for all phones tablets landlines mobile internet etc for business use or does it even matter  any thou thoughts ? Currently looking at 02 And three .though threes customer service doesn't seem  great if I'm honest asked 3 separate people some questions on live chat today and still not got an answer ,  still totally undecided and thought id ask what people here were using and you're advice would be appreciated .

Edited by Casper

Personally for my business phone as a technophobe I stick with what I know (iPhones) and Vodafone. Over the years I’ve only had 2 or 3 issues & always gone into the local shop where nothing’s been a bother & it’s always been sorted (once I was even loaned a phone). 

As for a phone query with Customer Services or on Livechat I wouldn’t have a clue - most of these big companies would rather mess you about via these depts hence why I bypass them.

As an aside, last year I replaced the kids iPhones & at the time the cheapest way was to buy the phones & put them on a SIM only contract with Virgin.

• Like 1

One thought. Get something with a decent camera for stock photos/videos?

i bought an iPhone XR last year as it has great battery life due to its size and has a decent camera which can give depth photography when used with the Halide app. The iPhone X and 11 have even better depth built in.

Id stick with iPhone if that’s what you’ve already got as then transferring all your info over is easy, if you go to a shop (or have a teenager at home) they’ll probably do it for you.

As a long time iPhone user I find using an Android phone quite hard.

As for network, then just choose the cheapest in your area with decent reception locally.

I’m on o2 but 3 seem to be generally cheaper. I’ve found 3 customer service as good as any, and we got an answer from the Chief Exec when my son emailed him!

Edited by CCC
  • Like 1

Huawei P30 Pro. 

Epic camera.

Plus the super fast battery charging. About 1hr you get 70% and about 1hr 40 for full 100%.

They released a P40 just now. Guess that must be better. 

I hate Samsungs every so often they become hot and slow. Always thought they did on purpose so you buy new phone. 

Apple did admit they did slow phones down not long ago... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCC said:

One thought. Get something with a decent camera for stock photos/videos?

i bought an iPhone XR last year as it has great battery life due to its size and has a decent camera which can give depth photography when used with the Halide app. The iPhone X and 11 have even better depth built in.

Id stick with iPhone if that’s what you’ve already got as then transferring all your info over is easy, if you go to a shop (or have a teenager at home) they’ll probably do it for you.

As a long time iPhone user I find using an Android phone quite hard.

As for network, then just choose the cheapest in your area with decent reception locally.

I’m on o2 but 3 seem to be generally cheaper. I’ve found 3 customer service as good as any, and we got an answer from the Chief Exec when my son emailed him!

29 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Huawei P30 Pro. 

Epic camera.

Plus the super fast battery charging. About 1hr you get 70% and about 1hr 40 for full 100%.

They released a P40 just now. Guess that must be better. 

I hate Samsungs every so often they become hot and slow. Always thought they did on purpose so you buy new phone. 

Apple did admit they did slow phones down not long ago... 

3 hours ago, BHM said:

Personally for my business phone as a technophobe I stick with what I know (iPhones) and Vodafone. Over the years I’ve only had 2 or 3 issues & always gone into the local shop where nothing’s been a bother & it’s always been sorted (once I was even loaned a phone). 

As for a phone query with Customer Services or on Livechat I wouldn’t have a clue - most of these big companies would rather mess you about via these depts hence why I bypass them.

As an aside, last year I replaced the kids iPhones & at the time the cheapest way was to buy the phones & put them on a SIM only contract with Virgin.

Thanks everyone much appreciated . 

More important than anything is coverage for where you need it

In the last 30 years I've had to go from vodaphone to orange to 02

As said if you use the phone for photographs then get one with a good camera

Mines a hiwye absolutely brilliant camera in my opinion

I've always been a clamshell guy because these modern phones dont sit in my pocket well so the wife has stitched me in an inside pocket with velcro so even if I get hung upside down by a customer (anyone remember them?) my phone doesn't fall out 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, New year revolutions...... said:

More important than anything is coverage for where you need it

In the last 30 years I've had to go from vodaphone to orange to 02

As said if you use the phone for photographs then get one with a good camera

Mines a hiwye absolutely brilliant camera in my opinion

I've always been a clamshell guy because these modern phones dont sit in my pocket well so the wife has stitched me in an inside pocket with velcro so even if I get hung upside down by a customer (anyone remember them?) my phone doesn't fall out 

:lol: vaguely remember them .

I changed from Apple and went for a Huawei P20 Mate Pro. Mainly for the camera.

Had it a year and the battery still lasts forever, Camera is better than my Canon slr. Its basically a handheld laptop. Would highly recommend despite what you hear about Chinese phones.

Found the best deals on uswitch, and phone deals change every few days so worth tracking it for a week before you buy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Highlinev8 said:

I changed from Apple and went for a Huawei P20 Mate Pro. Mainly for the camera.

Had it a year and the battery still lasts forever, Camera is better than my Canon slr. Its basically a handheld laptop. Would highly recommend despite what you hear about Chinese phones.

Found the best deals on uswitch, and phone deals change every few days so worth tracking it for a week before you buy.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Highlinev8 said:

Despite what you hear about Chinese phones.

A lot of people bash the Chinese yet pretty much everything is made there even the apples and Samsungs etc. 

I was on a £25 sim only tarrif and for £30 i would got the p30 pro. 

£25 would be the p30 and £20 for the p30 lite.

So do bear in mind some phones have variants like the p30. 

TDi, SRi, V6, Premium, Luxury, e :lol:

• Haha 1

I bought a Huawei Mate 20 lite, was about £150 a seriously belting phone for the money, no worse than Mrs C's expense Samsung. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Casper said:

Hi folks i know its not car related so sorry for that but phone contract is up for renewal soon and my old i phone is  past its best no latest updates not much memory etc 

not sure if i should stick to apple or go with something else samsung maybe ? any one here got any thoughts on good value handsets or networks and is it best to stick with one network for all phones tablets landlines mobile internet etc for business use or does it even matter  any thou thoughts ? Currently looking at 02 And three .though threes customer service doesn't seem  great if I'm honest asked 3 separate people some questions on live chat today and still not got an answer ,  still totally undecided and thought id ask what people here were using and you're advice would be appreciated .

Vodafone for me

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NacMan said:

Vodafone for me

What handset would you recommend ?

5 minutes ago, Casper said:

What handset would you recommend ?

Huawei P30 PRO is probably the best one out there however if you prefer the APPLE IOS then of course the Iphone 11 its out of the two. But the Huawei has better value for money.

8 minutes ago, NacMan said:

Huawei P30 PRO is probably the best one out there however if you prefer the APPLE IOS then of course the Iphone 11 its out of the two. But the Huawei has better value for money.

Cheers mate

Unfortunately I’m locked into the Apple “experience” having got iPads.

Just upgraded to the iPhone 11, pretty similar to the 8 to be honest.

Been with Vodafone since the year dot so always get a good loyalty discount. 

If you are changing networks always buy online. Sometimes distance selling is a good thing!

On 4/28/2020 at 10:35 PM, David Ayers said:

Unfortunately I’m locked into the Apple “experience” having got iPads.

Just upgraded to the iPhone 11, pretty similar to the 8 to be honest.

Been with Vodafone since the year dot so always get a good loyalty discount. 

If you are changing networks always buy online. Sometimes distance selling is a good thing!

Thanks David ..it was the latest se 2020 i was looking at actually which i think is similar to the 8. Im like you an always had apple phones and tablets of recent years was with vodafone years ago but they didnt get good signal here back them so was only there around 6 months then back to 02 about 9 years ago was with them a good 12 years before that  but vodafone have resolved it now as my mates missus is with them and only lives a few streets away  

On 4/28/2020 at 9:48 PM, NacMan said:

See the p40 pro 5g ready is out now also .on the three website i seen it 

Edited by Casper

Im with virgin. If you got home broadband with virgin you can get a discount sometimes. 

I think o2 is the only with uk call centre. It might have changed. 

Its good to know this as all others are based in India or Philippines. And if you got a problem good luck explaining to them  when they keep repeating off a script :lol:

Edited by TangoVictor32

2 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Im with virgin. If you got home broadband with virgin you can get a discount sometimes. 

Its good to know this as all others are based in India or Philippines. And if you got a problem good luck explaining to them  when they keep repeating off a script :lol:

We cant get virgin home broadband in the area with bt for that have been years but looking at changing to sky after lockdown as paying way over the odds because tv and broadband with different providers 

Any the times  I've spoke to customer services its uk call centres with o2 thats one of the reason I've have stay with them and don't mind paying a little more i honestly cant fault the customer service over the years . 

My best mate the same one whos missus is with vodafone is with virgin and his happy enough with and his son his with three and seems happy 

theres so much choice. Now ive got a three phones with o2 actually my dad has one i gave him  and both my personal and business mobile both are . 

Many thanks i hope your well . 

4 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

I wouldn't go back to virgin even if they supplied one

• Haha 1

@Casper

Cancel your contracts for your home services. 

When you get put through to retentions they will give you a discount. My virgin was £53 pm. They offered me £38.

Anyways after i did this i found out if i gave my 30 day notice to cancel they would have continuously rang me up saying we will do it for £25 and cancel your cancellation. 

My son moved in and virgin let him do a transfer and its on his name at £28 now. 

If you stay quiet like a mouse every organisation will increase your price. You got to haggle them. 

Edited by TangoVictor32
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

@Casper

Cancel your contracts for your home services. 

When you get put through to retentions they will give you a discount. My virgin was £53 pm. They offered me £38.

Anyways after i did this i found out if i gave my 30 day notice to cancel they would have continuously rang me up saying we will do it for £25.

My son moved in and virgin let him so a transfer and its on his name at £28 now. 

If you stay quiet like a mouse every organisation will increase your price. You got to haggle them. 

Ive did it before when it was it need of repairs i plan to cancel bt and go with sky everything there broadband and tv package was a lot better than bt was offering  as you say it pays to haggle its like the paddy power ad says loyalty is gone live for rewards  

thanks for all your advice 

Edited by Casper