TB Tech

Time for new keeper V5C application

Hi, does anyone know, in how many days after buying a car the dealer have to send the V5C certificate to DVLA? Is there a law about this? A time limit or something. I have bought a car a month ago, and I didn't received the new V5C certificate. I have contacted the dealer, and they have sent it to DVLA, 27 days after I have bought the car. That means I have wait even more until I get my certificate, and now that DVLA is not processing anymore, is probably going to be even longer than usual. 

On 4/26/2020 at 5:15 PM, TB Tech said:

Hi, does anyone know, in how many days after buying a car the dealer have to send the V5C certificate to DVLA? Is there a law about this? A time limit or something. I have bought a car a month ago, and I didn't received the new V5C certificate. I have contacted the dealer, and they have sent it to DVLA, 27 days after I have bought the car. That means I have wait even more until I get my certificate, and now that DVLA is not processing anymore, is probably going to be even longer than usual. 

14 days is reasonable id say but if they had done it online the documents are normally back in a week . 

Edited by Casper

On 4/26/2020 at 5:15 PM, TB Tech said:

Read the back of the new keeper slip you should of been given & follow the instructions. 

5 hours ago, Casper said:

14 days is reasonable id say but if they had done it online the documents are normally back in a week . 

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that they have made the application 27 days after the purchasing, and unfortunately due to the actual situation with Covid-19 DVLA is not processing anymore applications until further notice. I was wondering if the dealer has a limit of time in which he must send the application. On the DVLA wbsite says "as soon as the sale take place", I am not sure if 27 days is that soon. I have bought the car on 27 March, and the dealer only sent the application on 22 April. DVLA stopped processing any application that has been sent after 14 April, and now because he didn't sent the application in time I cannot take the car outside the country. Don't judge me, it is an essential travel. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Ask the dealer to supply you with a courtesy or rental car?

I did, but he told me to f*** off. He is definitely one of those dealer who are creating a bad image for the industry. 

59 minutes ago, TB Tech said:

I did, but he told me to f*** off. He is definitely one of those dealer who are creating a bad image for the industry. 

Yeah that's the thing though......he's sloppy, but I don't think (I never did find the underlying legislation though) he's actually breaking the law, I have a suspicion its 28 days and in any case, it would be very difficult to bring any action against the dealer. The reason you're stuck isn't the dealer's fault but the need to go abroad combined with the consequences of the lockdown because of the virus. Others (eg I think it was Ford, on one of the videocasts) have done exceptional things for their customers, in these exceptional times; for key workers who needed a car they "sold" them one and supplied a courtesy car which was ready to go in the meantime, I guess once lockdown eases they'll have the original purchased car prepped and ready to swap over.

Usually you can spot a good dealer over a bad dealer - the bad ones are either blindingly obvious, or are also bad at hiding their sloppiness.

Out of curiousity what price range are we talking about? £2k or £20k?

6 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Yeah that's the thing though......he's sloppy, but I don't think (I never did find the underlying legislation though) he's actually breaking the law, I have a suspicion its 28 days and in any case, it would be very difficult to bring any action against the dealer. The reason you're stuck isn't the dealer's fault but the need to go abroad combined with the consequences of the lockdown because of the virus. Others (eg I think it was Ford, on one of the videocasts) have done exceptional things for their customers, in these exceptional times; for key workers who needed a car they "sold" them one and supplied a courtesy car which was ready to go in the meantime, I guess once lockdown eases they'll have the original purchased car prepped and ready to swap over.

Usually you can spot a good dealer over a bad dealer - the bad ones are either blindingly obvious, or are also bad at hiding their sloppiness.

Out of curiousity what price range are we talking about? £2k or £20k?

Yes, I perfectly understand your point, and like you said, is a combination of unfortunate events. But, it is frustrating when you call the dealer and ask if he sent the application after 4 weeks from purchasing, and then when you ask for proof  you see that the date of application is actually the date you have called him. That tells me he doesn't give a f*** about his customers, and probably in two months he will change the name of his company just to hide his dodgy paractice. The price in nowhere near 20K, is close to 2k. But to be honest that shouldn't change the way a customer is treated, not everybody can aford 20k car. There are a lot of dealers on the market that only have for sale cars starting with 15K, they just don't want to deal with cheep ones, and I think this is a form of respect for everyone. But if you are selling cheep cars, that doesn't mean you can take the piss out of your customers. Personally I think the main key in a bussines is respect for your customers. I am myself a trade person, not car dealer, but still working with customers, and I make mistakes from time to time like everybody else, but never told my customers to f*** off, even if some of the customers are complaining for no reason. 

43 minutes ago, TB Tech said:

. The price in nowhere near 20K, is close to 2k. 

Dont take offence but here goes

We've had a lockdown,so the car you bought might have been on the tail of this

At 2g any sensible dealer is going to hold the sending of new keeper details off as long as he can due to the 28 day cra rule

My log books are on pins on a shelf like gordan Ramsey's food order for the chefs

I do them online once I'm 100% sure the car isn't coming back with a stupid complaint

Now did you tell the dealer you were taking it abroad? If you did the law allows for this on the log booking you both read it

Would I give you another car on the strength of paperwork sent off  but it doesn't help you?

Very unlikely indeed

So what can you do...?

Not a lot but wait

The dealer seems to be the bad guy here but in my opinion he has done nothing wrongmthose log books might still be hung up if you hadn't called

Your car was obviously taxed at pos on new keeper form and it says on the v5c the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner

The moral of the story is if you have family abroad or you intend to export a car use the correct procedures or buy elsewhere

3 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Dont take offence but here goes

We've had a lockdown,so the car you bought might have been on the tail of this

At 2g any sensible dealer is going to hold the sending of new keeper details off as long as he can due to the 28 day cra rule

My log books are on pins on a shelf like gordan Ramsey's food order for the chefs

I do them online once I'm 100% sure the car isn't coming back with a stupid complaint

Now did you tell the dealer you were taking it abroad? If you did the law allows for this on the log booking you both read it

Would I give you another car on the strength of paperwork sent off  but it doesn't help you?

Very unlikely indeed

So what can you do...?

Not a lot but wait

The dealer seems to be the bad guy here but in my opinion he has done nothing wrongmthose log books might still be hung up if you hadn't called

Your car was obviously taxed at pos on new keeper form and it says on the v5c the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner

The moral of the story is if you have family abroad or you intend to export a car use the correct procedures or buy elsewhere

Yeah, you are right in one hand. But the seller knew I want to travel abroad, I have discussed with him the issue, and he promissed he will send the application in the same day (really takes less than 5 min). I wasn't about to export the car, I was comming back. Honestly I had 4 flights cancelled, and anyway those days is safer to go by car. Anyway is not the seller's fault for the unfortunate worldwide situation, but if he would've sent the application straight after the transaction, the V5C would have been sent to me in 5 days maximum. At that point in time DVLA, was peocessing all the applications. They stoped on 14 April, he had more than 2 weeks to do it. I didn't called DVLA earlier because I understand the shitty situation we are all in. 

Is there an end result to this story ? Did you get where you were going, etc ?...Why did you not use a V62 at the time ? or am I missing something ?

3 hours ago, G Dog said:

Is there an end result to this story ? Did you get where you were going, etc ?...Why did you not use a V62 at the time ? or am I missing something ?

The guys not been on the site since April according to the stats B)