1 hour ago, Lucky13 said:

Normally export them back to the UK therefore loosing the damaged marker

Eh? Isn’t that an old wives tale?

8 hours ago, Paul C said:

Isn't the steering wheel on the wrong side?

If it’s cheap enough they’re not bothered - everything has its price. 

Years ago I was a regular in Gdańsk, Poland and at the time RHD cars couldn’t be registered (dunno if it’s the same now). However on every other backstreet there was some absolutely fucked UK write off getting nailed back together & in the process also switched to LHD. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

Normally export them back to the UK therefore loosing the damaged marker

Ive heard that too . 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Eh? Isn’t that an old wives tale?

If it’s cheap enough they’re not bothered - everything has its price. 

Years ago I was a regular in Gdańsk, Poland and at the time RHD cars couldn’t be registered (dunno if it’s the same now). However on every other backstreet there was some absolutely fucked UK write off getting nailed back together & in the process also switched to LHD. 

On the other side of the coin I've met some polish mechanics paint sprayers etc that have been some of the best I've seen especially the painter i used 

the guy that owns the tyre place is actually one of nicest guys ive ever met and a real hard worker  

• Like 1

Will it not be the usual story with Copart.The guys who do well using them will have ‘inside information’.It was the same with finance repos at the block,if you knew the repo guy.There will be less risk and quicker turn around time buying Fiestas and Polos etc but complicated big stuff must be a different matter.Why would you !

10 hours ago, Casper said:

Ive heard that too . 

On the other side of the coin I've met some polish mechanics paint sprayers etc that have been some of the best I've seen especially the painter i used 

the guy that owns the tyre place is actually one of nicest guys ive ever met and a real hard worker  

Same, my preferred local tyre place was run by Polish. Straight shooters as far I could tell. They had a fire?

8 minutes ago, metcars said:

Same, my preferred local tyre place was run by Polish. Straight shooters as far I could tell. They had a fire?

Shame. The lad i used has a car wash attached well someone else runs it but good lads .  

6 minutes ago, Casper said:

Shame. The lad i used has a car wash attached well someone else runs it but good lads .  

Shame his car wash wasn’t next to Metcar’s Polish tyre place then they could’ve put out the fire.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BHM said:

Shame his car wash wasn’t next to Metcar’s Polish tyre place then they could’ve put out the fire.

:lol::) very true

44 minutes ago, BHM said:

As I understand it, nothing was going to put that fire out. It would probably just have happened again the next week?:ph34r:

19 minutes ago, metcars said:

As I understand it, nothing was going to put that fire out. It would probably just have happened again the next week?:ph34r:

:mellow:

13 hours ago, Casper said:

Ive heard that too . 

I agree I know a polish mechanic that actually fixes broken bits not just replaces them! 

The Polish (and the Russians) are some of the most determined mechanics you will ever meet. Nothing scares them off. They will strip a RHD car and rebuild it as LHD. Outside in a muddy yard in the middle of a blizzard.

21 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

The Polish (and the Russians) are some of the most determined mechanics you will ever meet. Nothing scares them off. They will strip a RHD car and rebuild it as LHD. Outside in a muddy yard in the middle of a blizzard.

Thats the kind of lads i would like to employ and most will work round the clock aswell .  Problem is how do you find them cause once someone has one like that they dont want to let them go

Edited by Casper

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Thats the kind of lads i would like to employ and most will work round the clock aswell .  Problem is how do you find them cause once someone has one like that they dont want to let them go

Poland? Or Russia?

Would be a good start:D

2 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Poland? Or Russia?

Would be a good start:D

:lol::lol: fell into to that one with my size 11s but seriously good trades men are hard to find now they all talk a good job well 70 percent of them . 

Edited by Casper

9 hours ago, Casper said:

Be careful though, don’t confuse enthusiasm with suicidal self-confidence?

As much as I agree with the ability of Polish guys, when you look at the state of the majority of cars in Eastern Europe it explains why good mechanics need to travel to Europe to find work?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul C said:

To be fair, Russia is quite a big place. Poland, not so much.

After all the population of Poland is only about 39,000,000 :D

9 hours ago, Casper said:

Thats the kind of lads i would like to employ and most will work round the clock aswell .

As the building industry found out, their enthusiasm for work lasts about 3 years then human nature being what it is, they become as ‘enthusiastic’ as the rest of the workforce. After all, living in the UK is hardly a novelty for them, is it?

1 hour ago, BHM said:

After all the population of Poland is only about 39,000,000 :D

As the building industry found out, their enthusiasm for work lasts about 3 years then human nature being what it is, they become as ‘enthusiastic’ as the rest of the workforce. After all, living in the UK is hardly a novelty for them, is it?

True, but most come here to make money then return home. In my area of east London you can rent a small 3bed house for around £1300 a month. Eastern European’s will rent as a group so two or three couples sharing the rent, which makes it much more affordable. Especially when you remember they won’t be burdened with kids or elderly parents. They work hard like dogs for a few years, live as cheaply as they can, then return home with their ‘pile’ to live a cheaper life? I remember back in the ‘80s when London was full of Irish (working in IT) and Aussies (hospitality) doing the same thing?

The Polish people I sell cars to are great, they are hugely knowledgable and no nonsense payers. I don’t think they are as focused on ‘beating the system’ and exploiting loopholes as much as some minority groups round these parts?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, metcars said:

The Polish people I sell cars to are great, they are hugely knowledgable and no nonsense payers.

That USED to be the case with most East Europeans but alas not now. Messing, “best price?”, saying “the car has problems” to beat down the price seems to be order of the day. 

Edited by BHM

On 4/26/2020 at 10:30 PM, Lakeside said:

See I’ve heard that happen a few times but it may be more down to luck than anything. Copart work on commission so will do as much as they can to get the highest price for their cars, they will defiantly get them running if they can.

This. More often than not, a car marked as a runner will have engine or gearbox issues.

As opposed to a car marked as a non runner which actually runs.

(Extreme) caution is key.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

That USED to be the case with most East Europeans but alas not now. Messing, “best price?”, saying “the car has problems” to beat down the price seems to be order of the day. 

I find that the Romanians and Albanians are the worst. It’s how their society functions. They are used to bartering like gypsies “horse trading” for everything? The Polish are more sophisticated, way better educated too. Russians schools are excellent.

1 minute ago, tradegirl said:

This. More often than not, a car marked as a runner will have engine or gearbox issues.

As opposed to a car marked as a non runner which actually runs.

(Extreme) caution is key.

You’re are better off buying a categorised repaired car from a straight auction, where you can not only examine it closely but not buy a car ‘bullied up’ for sale to deceive. I had a mate who made a killing buying up well-repaired cars with previous accident damage. For most cars the trade don’t want to know and someone has done the hard work for you. He used to say “buy smarter not harder”?

3 minutes ago, metcars said:

I find that the Romanians and Albanians are the worst.

Yes they are a dodgy bunch. Albania is not in the EU and a lot are in the UK unofficially.

The Poles are a different kettle of fish and mostly keep their noses clean.. Generally well educated and God-fearing with a good work ethic. The only problem is if they stay in the UK too long a time they 'go native' and start behaving like British people ;-)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, metcars said:

I find that the Romanians and Albanians are the worst. It’s how their society functions. They are used to bartering like gypsies “horse trading” for everything? The Polish are more sophisticated, way better educated too. Russians schools are excellent.

You’re are better off buying a categorised repaired car from a straight auction, where you can not only examine it closely but not buy a car ‘bullied up’ for sale to deceive. I had a mate who made a killing buying up well-repaired cars with previous accident damage. For most cars the trade don’t want to know and someone has done the hard work for you. He used to say “buy smarter not harder”?

That's a fair point. But for me I'd rather know what damage the car had. But with motorcheck now, that's easy to find for a lot of cars.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Yes

I had good polish customers up to 18 months ago

It would appear they have all gone home 

And now replaced with the worst type of customer imaginable that they give Bradford a good image

58 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Yes

I had good polish customers up to 18 months ago

It would appear they have all gone home 

And now replaced with the worst type of customer imaginable that they give Bradford a good image

The ‘nice’ guys know when they’re not wanted, you reap what you sow?