James Baggott

Peter Vardy interviewed live at midday today

36 minutes ago, Casper said:

Know a guy that buys a lot of police stuff he does mechanic work for-me he used to buy Lothian and borders and strathclyde ones  still does occasional but Its police scotland now . 

Can he still put the dashboards back together

11 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Can he still put the dashboards back together

:lol: was mostly and is still run off the mill stuff focus astras etc .it doesn't do so much know how had a couple of corsas last time 

Take it the south wales and Strathclyde ones were the worst 

in was a lot easier in 309 306 days though you need half a dash now .

Edited by Casper

Peter Vardy's dad got me one of my first sales jobs in the motor trade, it's easy to ace an interview when Sir Peter personally calls

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andymc1973 said:

Peter Vardy's dad got me one of my first sales jobs in the motor trade, it's easy to ace an interview when Sir Peter personally calls

Whats the story Andy how did that happen ? Just interesting to hear it mate thats all 

12 hours ago, BHM said:

About 30 or so years ago as a skint & naive young fella I needed reliable wheels to get to a new job so got financed-up on a 2-3 year old Metro. I can’t remember the deal, or the car colour for that matter, but no doubt I had it stuck right up me.

All was ok until one day when I turned it upside down, writing it off. The insurance company maxed-out their offer but I had negative equity so had to pay additional money to pay off the finance - I’m not sure what would of happened if I hadn’t had some savings by then.

Anyhow it was a valuable lesson which I’ve stuck to in not to buy depreciating consumer goods on tick.

as a 14 year old in 1980 remember driving through birmingham with pops and see a transporter full of odd looking cars, what are they dad? thats the new metro son, its going to be a world car.

metro was a big leap for leyland, but the already 3 year old fiesta was better, and when the nissan micra arrived in 82 it was game over, having said that it sold well especially around the midlands to the leyland faithful, i later went on to sell loads never really had issues with them, it was usually just clean and black the sills lol then out the door, selling them with rusty arches seemed accepted they just sold on price quickly, crazy how it was still on sales in 96 as basically the same car! apart from the mini i cant think of any other car that has been on sale in the u.k which had a longer run as basically the same car / shell??? any thoughts???

2 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

any other car that has been on sale in the u.k which had a longer run as basically the same car / shell??? any thoughts???

VW Beetle has got to be up there? Or something like Caterham or Morgan?

Or Land Rover (the original one!) if you include the Defender etc

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paul C said:

good shout, 

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

The landrover is a good shout . Remember my dad got a metro in 1998 as a courtesy car  from landrover in truth it wasn't that bad for a 4 year old metro after that they must have changed there policy on courtesy cars cause the other twice the discovery was in for warranty work it was a brand new Freelander and defender 90 that was loaned to us . 

23 hours ago, Casper said:

Whats the story Andy how did that happen ? Just interesting to hear it mate thats all 

He does a lot of work with people who have been in trouble (in the past)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

He does a lot of work with people who have been in trouble (in the past)

Thats decent off him I've often said there a lot of good lads out there thats went down the wrong path and could be brought back up again it again if more training etc was offered

even lads that didn't do well at school now are being written off if they don't get good grades they don't get  to train to be a mechanic was talking to a mates brother in law he is a work shop manager thats we he was saying he interviewed a lad about 1 year and gave him a job he's been one of the best mechanic apprentices he has ever had although he has low pass marks on his grades . His big boss gave him a rollocking for hiring him as he never had the grades to which he replied if the lad had the grades he didn't think he would want to the job in the first place . 

Edited by Casper

Yeah, no ones perfect and sometimes you just need a little bit of luck

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

Yeah, no ones perfect and sometimes you just need a little bit of luck

An auld local farmer used to always say to me about himself there no one perfect but I'm as close as you will get that saying always stuck as well as one my dad says a lot or did say before dementia and Alzheimer's was work together we will achieve even more  

glad you got that bit of luck andy .. as you say we all need a bit sometimes 

I used to only buy reg vardy p/x's they had cracking ones and they nearly always went for what you bid or you waited till the next day and learned all bids accepted

Happy days long gone

Edited by New year revolutions......

26 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I used to only buy reg vardy p/x's they had cracking ones and they nearly always went for what you bid or you waited till the next day and learned all bids accepted

Happy days long gone

Yeah we bought some as-well back in the day as well as a business partner i had at the time . 

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Yeah we bought some as-well back in the day as well as a business partner i had at the time . 

They came off the transporters and I was there viewing

Back then they used agency drivers and often the tailgate of the upper decks of some cars were flattened on the car roofs:D

1 minute ago, New year revolutions...... said:

They came off the transporters and I was there viewing

Back then they used agency drivers and often the tailgate of the upper decks of some cars were flattened on the car roofs:D

The local  auction i went to it was the sills that were always damaged on the way off seen it on a few .