Sign in to follow this  
James Baggott

Guide: How to safely deliver cars during the lockdown

Great article. I was thinking about this earlier, I predict secondhand car transporters will be difficult to find for the near future!

I think we're happy we can clean the new car, but what about picking up a part-ex? Do we let the customer drive it onto the truck? What about a recovery tilt-bed instead (then we're into 7.5 tonners, tachos and O licences?) Ideally you'd chuck it on a spec lift but you can't tow except to recover on them (legally) etc.... Car trailer + 4x4 towcar would also take you over the 3.5ton limit. Lots of practical and legal considerations to gear up and actually do it in-house.

Also more importantly....with cars being sanitised to within an inch of their life......does this spell the end to the "boiled sweet down the gap in the back seat" surprise???

• Like 1

@James Baggott   for delivery if you have 2 staff members who live together ie brothers etc this is the perfect opportunity for delivery or get your partner / wife to come with you to collect you aswell. A few solutions.

7 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

@James Baggott   for delivery if you have 2 staff members who live together ie brothers etc this is the perfect opportunity for delivery or get your partner / wife to come with you to collect you aswell. A few solutions.

Indeed. We covered someone similar doing exactly that here:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/rs-car-sales/190144

50 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

Chatted to some experts to give us some advice on this. Here's what I have pulled together.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/safely-deliver-car-lockdown-click-collect-isnt-allowed/190755

‘ No handover signature requirements ‘ do these guys have that in writing from the VAT office.What will an inspector make of that when they examine your records in 4 years time.In the past,if a signature was missing,they could penalise you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, trade vet said:

‘ No handover signature requirements ‘ do these guys have that in writing from the VAT office.What will an inspector make of that when they examine your records in 4 years time.In the past,if a signature was missing,they could penalise you.

A digital signature system could be considered - I'll add that in

1 hour ago, James Baggott said:

A digital signature system could be considered - I'll add that in

There are still a lot of people out there who only have a land line and get offended when they are asked for passwords,PIN numbers,apps,user names etc when they at the counter in their bank and only want to transfer £x from one account to another in the same bank.So asking them for an E signature on a VAT sales invoice on delivery might be difficult.

Just now, trade vet said:

There are still a lot of people out there who only have a land line and get offended when they are asked for passwords,PIN numbers,apps,user names etc when they at the counter in their bank and only want to transfer £x from one account to another in the same bank.So asking them for an E signature on a VAT sales invoice on delivery might be difficult.

No there isn’t. 

2 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

No there isn’t. 

Congratulations that is a typical millenial answer.I actually had a row when I called into the bank recently and asked them to do a small transfer.They refused because I couldn’t remember various passwords.I had plenty of the usual ID.We have banked there for 30 years.

suggested elsewhere - regards paperwork simply video call or facetime the customer, show them the paperwork, they show you all theirs plus photo i.d. etc.

have it delivered by a proper logistics company, its cheaper than your partner following etc and using 2 cars for a delivery is borderline bending the rules.

plenty of folk saying not seeing the p/ex before a deal is an issue, well either under value it or grow a pair!

one thing for sure those traders who are selling cars up to circa £2000, its going to be hard as peoples expectations vary vastly in this sector, plus this price range customer often pays with hard earned cash that they have sweated / saved for and mostly prefer to view first, sadly it is probable that some of these customers will revert to the facebook type traders who have no morals once you tell them they cant come and view your prepped pipin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

suggested elsewhere - regards paperwork simply video call or facetime the customer, show them the paperwork, they show you all theirs plus photo i.d. etc.

have it delivered by a proper logistics company, its cheaper than your partner following etc and using 2 cars for a delivery is borderline bending the rules.

plenty of folk saying not seeing the p/ex before a deal is an issue, well either under value it or grow a pair!

one thing for sure those traders who are selling cars up to circa £2000, its going to be hard as peoples expectations vary vastly in this sector, plus this price range customer often pays with hard earned cash that they have sweated / saved for and mostly prefer to view first, sadly it is probable that some of these customers will revert to the facebook type traders who have no morals once you tell them they cant come and view your prepped pipin.

Well said

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

There has to be all sorts of exemptions in a pandemic.

39 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

There has to be all sorts of exemptions in a pandemic.

You would think so,but then again look at the problems that manufacturers of PPE have had with red tape holding up orders.