James Baggott

Finally! Official word the government says you can sell and deliver cars

1 minute ago, J.B said:

Tests drives are going to be the hardest part for me, I can't see many wanting to part with their hard earned without one. 

You’ll have to start doing some of those hilarious walk around videos instead? But seriously, this is great if you are selling 5yr old BMW’s, but that’s not all of the motor trade!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what the legal paperwork will look like for a lot of these new start up transit transporter companies innit mate, because for my 2 car transporters it's in writing that I can not use them  for gain by doing hire or reward

So be careful out there if going this route

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.B said:

Tests drives are going to be the hardest part for me, I can't see many wanting to part with their hard earned without one. 

In relation to this there is a way round it, if you are delivering, then you could set some kind of system up to ensure customer has already insured, [we are talking unaccompanied] if there are excuses like we bought for our son who is getting it at end of month then it is not really a essential sale and defer until end of month, i guess you could say the have already paid for it so if they bump it it is there problem for not insuring it, but they may blame "something wrong with car".

Pre lockdown, i had many a customer who did not want a test drive because they have been told by me, i have test drove it and would not be offering it if it was not right, and the added "if its not right, bring it back today".

20 hours ago, Casper said:

Well certainly worrying to me anyway and probably a lot of others with health conditions for just now ill be staying at home I've only been out once since lock down started actually enjoyed the rest but getting a bit bored now mentality can only watch so many tv repeats  .

I worry.more about my elderly parents if I'm honest dad has a lot of issues with breathing copd as well as dementia and Alzheimer's so doesn't fully understand  the aspects of it all

Mum is in good health but in her mid seventies and scared to go out I'm actually worried about the affect its had on her mental state more so because my sister is a nurse    

Hope you and yours are safe and well Casper, I wont be delivering through this until we're allowed to reopen the showroom, dont do a lot of deliveries and not rushing into it now just for the sake of it and as you say I cant 100% guarantee its not making the problem worse, I'm currently looking after my 89 yr old dad and keeping him safe and looked after is my prioriity right now, good luck to those that can though, Im not saying theres anything wrong with it just not for me right now

hope everyones OK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Expect trading standards will get busy due to some descriptions not being 100% , think we've all heard the stories of how customers have previously bought over the net from auction sites and when the vehicle was delivered it wasn't as expected 

1 hour ago, craigpughcars said:

some descriptions not being 100% , think we've all heard the stories of how customers have previously bought over the net from auction sites and when the vehicle was delivered it wasn't as expected 

janet and john got quite a surprise when there new  vw arrived !

It wasn't my fault" said 37% of car hire drivers who have had to ...

all that money they had spent !

Top ten part-time jobs for university students | TARGETjobs

something was not right, and on the test drive it pulled to the right !

Characteristics of Bad and Good Drivers - Time to Change Lanes?

maybe they could get a refund ? 

No Refunds | Bernie Sanders | Know Your Meme

oh dear, but the man on the phone seemed so nice

!How to sniff out a salesman from a mile away - American Standard ...

lets go down there and complain said john !

"bring it back" he says let us put it on the ramp Break The Ice With Some Cheesy Car Salesman

well, they couldnt find anything wrong ? From /r/IdiotsNearlyDying) DIY Car Lift : redneckengineering

john questioned  janet had she put the wrong fuel in ? image.jpeg.8b7d507278437901fd2516ee01157117.jpeg

janet did not like that answer !

but still john got a bill for it image.jpeg.837d27c2da0b172c7ab7e9dc1404a52b.jpeg:P

Edited by have a word with the wife
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RH Trading said:

Hope you and yours are safe and well Casper, I wont be delivering through this until we're allowed to reopen the showroom, dont do a lot of deliveries and not rushing into it now just for the sake of it and as you say I cant 100% guarantee its not making the problem worse, I'm currently looking after my 89 yr old dad and keeping him safe and looked after is my prioriity right now, good luck to those that can though, Im not saying theres anything wrong with it just not for me right now

hope everyones OK

So I have got myself a job doing some courier work to tide me over. The thing is looking at the general lack of social distancing and precautions taken added to the fact I have knocked on 50 plus doors and door bells and handled god knows how many packages I am thinking I might just start up now. I understand why you wouldn’t do it.  

I’m just thinking if I can control the amount of contact that it can’t be worse than what I am doing?

hope your dad is ok. My my is 75 and has dementia to be fair she doesn’t leave the house but it is still a worry 

JLR, Aston Martin, Vauxhall announced today they're opening up as did B&Q

Am still going to sit back and wait for the second surge of cases because there will be a lot. People will become complacent. If am wrong then am wrong. 

Still a lot of people dying daily 600+ today and I think the big bosses are just concerned about £££

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RH Trading said:

hope everyones OK

Thank you hope you and your family are safe and well too and thank you for your kind words think ill be much the same certainly have to be careful especially with asthma which is never great at this of year anyway . 

20 hours ago, craigpughcars said:

Expect trading standards will get busy due to some descriptions not being 100% , think we've all heard the stories of how customers have previously bought over the net from auction sites and when the vehicle was delivered it wasn't as expected 

Really? I’d imaging there isn’t enough TS officers to deal with every dodgy internet sale, certainly not to investigate individual cases. Bodgit & Scarper will be doing good trade via their £30 phones.

If you were a bit unscrupulous I reckon you could be raping the arse out of punters at the moment, especially as plenty of them are of the ‘greedy parasite’ variety - all waiting to be had over. Funnily enough I already know of one greedy **** who’s been had for £1500 over a £2500 item - the greedy are always taken in by a cheap price.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, James Baggott said:

You're very welcome!

confused now, on a whatsapp traders group for Birmingham and one of the VW guys posted this, this morning -

NFDA Clarifies BEIS Position on Online Sales and Deliveries

Following recent articles concerning comments attributed to BEIS in connection with remote (online) sales and deliveries by certain media publications, the NFDA have spoken to a senior official in BEIS for clarification. The clarification obtained can be summarised as follows:

• Contrary to media reports, no official statement has been released by BEIS in the last few days regarding dealers’ entitlement to sell remotely and deliver cars to customers.
  • It was suggested that the comments attributed to BEIS yesterday by some parts of the automotive media, would have come from a member of the BEIS press office and should not be taken as official guidance; nor should they be taken as a statement or recommendation that dealers should open, sell online or deliver vehicles etc. It is not up to BEIS to determine the commercial approaches taken by businesses.
  • The position of BEIS has not changed from earlier guidance. BEIS’ position is that a retailer’s (dealer’s) decision to sell remotely (including online) and deliver products remains exclusively a decision for the dealer.
  • This decision will naturally be informed by a range of considerations arising from the present COVID-19 crisis, not simply whether the dealer technically has the right to sell online and deliver cars in accordance with Government guidance.
  • As an aside, if one party were to be forcing or applying pressure to another party to trade and deliver products to customers at the present time – where the latter was not comfortable that all of the relevant precautions could be taken or was otherwise ill-equipped to do so as a result of issues connected with COVID-19 - this would raise concerns, and is something that should be reported to BEIS.
  • BEIS has no immediate plans to issue further guidance to supplement or amend that already issued in the previous weeks by the COVID-19 Response Team of the Cabinet Office. Businesses should, if they require further guidance at this stage, - including in terms of the precautions to follow if choosing to sell remotely and offer deliveries (which is an option as already explained by the likes of the NFDA) - seek it from responsible and professional trade bodies, such as the NFDA and SMMT

https://www.nfda-uk.co.uk/industry-issues/nfda-clarifies-beis-position-on-online-sales-and-deliveries#entry

what did you get confirmation of James, doesnt look like anythings changed or is this just for main dealers?

21 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Still a lot of people dying daily 600+ today and I think the big bosses are just concerned about £££

+1

And when you say bosses you mean the ‘suits’ still working from home a safe distance from the factories.

Its an interesting situation because when will it ever be ‘safe’? What can the government do to make it safe for us to return to normal life? There’s no cure and no treatment, it’s all down to how strong your immune system is, if and when you catch it. Or at least for the poor souls that don’t have huge savings to live on indefinitely.

28 minutes ago, metcars said:

+1

And when you say bosses you mean the ‘suits’ still working from home a safe distance from the factories.

Its an interesting situation because when will it ever be ‘safe’? What can the government do to make it safe for us to return to normal life? There’s no cure and no treatment, it’s all down to how strong your immune system is, if and when you catch it. Or at least for the poor souls that don’t have huge savings to live on indefinitely.

Its entirely down to interpretation. Cazoo interpreted the situation as being able to deliver, even before the recent clarification.

4 hours ago, metcars said:

+1

Oh yes them ones. 

I also wonder how doed the US system work. If you dont have health insurance and you get the virus, do you get any treatment or not?

8 hours ago, RH Trading said:

confused now, on a whatsapp traders group for Birmingham and one of the VW guys posted this, this morning -

NFDA Clarifies BEIS Position on Online Sales and Deliveries

Following recent articles concerning comments attributed to BEIS in connection with remote (online) sales and deliveries by certain media publications, the NFDA have spoken to a senior official in BEIS for clarification. The clarification obtained can be summarised as follows:

• Contrary to media reports, no official statement has been released by BEIS in the last few days regarding dealers’ entitlement to sell remotely and deliver cars to customers.
  • It was suggested that the comments attributed to BEIS yesterday by some parts of the automotive media, would have come from a member of the BEIS press office and should not be taken as official guidance; nor should they be taken as a statement or recommendation that dealers should open, sell online or deliver vehicles etc. It is not up to BEIS to determine the commercial approaches taken by businesses.
  • The position of BEIS has not changed from earlier guidance. BEIS’ position is that a retailer’s (dealer’s) decision to sell remotely (including online) and deliver products remains exclusively a decision for the dealer.
  • This decision will naturally be informed by a range of considerations arising from the present COVID-19 crisis, not simply whether the dealer technically has the right to sell online and deliver cars in accordance with Government guidance.
  • As an aside, if one party were to be forcing or applying pressure to another party to trade and deliver products to customers at the present time – where the latter was not comfortable that all of the relevant precautions could be taken or was otherwise ill-equipped to do so as a result of issues connected with COVID-19 - this would raise concerns, and is something that should be reported to BEIS.
  • BEIS has no immediate plans to issue further guidance to supplement or amend that already issued in the previous weeks by the COVID-19 Response Team of the Cabinet Office. Businesses should, if they require further guidance at this stage, - including in terms of the precautions to follow if choosing to sell remotely and offer deliveries (which is an option as already explained by the likes of the NFDA) - seek it from responsible and professional trade bodies, such as the NFDA and SMMT

https://www.nfda-uk.co.uk/industry-issues/nfda-clarifies-beis-position-on-online-sales-and-deliveries#entry

what did you get confirmation of James, doesnt look like anythings changed or is this just for main dealers?

This is a ridiculous statement. If you read it it simply confirms exactly what I wrote while libelling us at the same time. I got it from the government press officer at BEIS. 

I standby what I wrote. And as you’ll see above - despite having a pop at me - they’re confirming exactly the same thing...

• Like 2

Following the NFDA statement I've been subtle but you'll see in this story they have been today told be BEIS that they need to amend what they said... I buried that news in this piece, because I didn't want to laud it over them, but still it had to be said...

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/car-manufacturers-unfairly-pushing-dealers-reopen-following-government-clarification/191015

• Like 3

I’ve been doing free deliveries on cars that seems to be working well and ticking me over, I have been leaving the deliveries to my recovery driver. Actually been nice not to have Joe public in the showroom tyre kicking! 

13 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

I’ve been doing free deliveries on cars that seems to be working well and ticking me over, I have been leaving the deliveries to my recovery driver. Actually been nice not to have Joe public in the showroom tyre kicking! 

How’s the buying?

1 hour ago, metcars said:

How’s the buying?

With big balls at bca blind!! Been lucky so far but no doubt I’ll be due a pup soon!

1 hour ago, Lucky13 said:

With big balls at bca blind!! Been lucky so far but no doubt I’ll be due a pup soon!

Yeah, I can imagine. But as they still avoid honestly and accurately describing stock what else can you do?

I can understand how click and collect could work for new and nearly new stuff but not a 10yr old diesel focus? 

And no, the answer is not for everyone to buy new cars instead?

Edited by metcars

15 minutes ago, metcars said:

Yeah, I can imagine. But as they still avoid honestly and accurately describing stock what else can you do?

I can understand how click and collect could work for new and nearly new stuff but not a 10yr old diesel focus? 

And no, the answer is not for everyone to buy new cars instead?

Think id rather drive the 10 year old focus now . Remember when i was younger i wouldn't have owned a car over three years old even committed the forbidden sin and bought a few from main dealers or lost money on a few only for others to make money on them but you live and learn and an old £1500 pick up van or old diesel car does me now 

was looking at a p100 ford earlier on ebay right blast from the blast . 

• Like 1

Is it fair to say 10-20yr old cars which are more durable these days than the equivalent age range 10 years ago? I'm thinking, the adoption of OBD2, maturity of electronics (compared to manufacturers first attempts at it, after the carburettor era), not so much cost cutting, complex systems etc we see in some of today's less reliable cars?

31 minutes ago, Casper said:

Think id rather drive the 10 year old focus now . 

was looking at a p100 ford earlier on ebay right blast from the blast . 

You would have to be sad or mad to buy one of them 

They were built in south Africa out of steel from the roofs of shanty towns 

They were rotten as pears at 5 years old truly nasty things,everything was naf even the wings didn't fit off cortinas.............dont ask:ph34r: