James Baggott

Finally! Official word the government says you can sell and deliver cars

22 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

My hassling of the government has paid off - finally.

Only six phone calls a day since Sunday morning, but I'm pleased to report the following:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/official-government-confirms-car-dealers-can-sell-cars-deliver-lockdown/190704

Great work James, well done! Brings clearity to everyone. 

• Like 1

Thanks James.

But the threat of catching the virus is just the same now as it was a month ago? It sounds a bit cavalier of Boris to tell us lot to ignore the danger and get on with it. And when I say danger, I mean danger for people like me, that will easily be in a life threatening condition if they catch it!

So I'm sitting here wishing everyone good luck and keeping safe!:unsure:

• Like 2

I have a live one wanting delivery (Luton). Was umming and ahhing as she’s not a key worker or anything. Gonna do it now, but via paying a recovery truck bloke.

As Rory implied above-getting stopped driving it there is still a major possibility. 

4 minutes ago, metcars said:

Thanks James.

But the threat of catching the virus is just the same now as it was a month ago? It sounds a bit cavalier of Boris to tell us lot to ignore the danger and get on with it. And when I say danger, I mean danger for people like me, that will easily be in a life threatening condition if they catch it!

Its scary really i have health concerns inc asthma .and it does worry me 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casper said:

Because it's still not safe?

22 minutes ago, Casper said:

At risk, elderly etc will not be going out I’m sure Casper. You’re much better off staying at home. I have no health issues but am still stopping home of course. For now.  

The less at risk will be let out first. Same with schools and certain businesses. Home delivery will be encouraged. My sister lives in Holland and this is what’s happening there. I’m afraid the at risk and elderly will be locked in for a good while I think, and even then, they and many will be nervous/very cautious about going out or starting to return to normal. 

Just my humble opinion. 

Edited by NOACROSS

11 minutes ago, metcars said:

Because it's still not safe?

7 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

At risk, elderly etc will not be going out I’m sure Casper. You’re much better off staying at home. I have no health issues but am still stopping home of course. For now.  

The less at risk will be let out first of course. Same with schools and certain businesses. Home delivery will be encouraged. My sister lives in Holland and this is what’s happening there. I’m afraid the at risk and elderly will be locked in for a good while I think, and even then, they and many will be nervous/very cautious about going out or starting to return to normal. 

Just my humble opinion. 

Well certainly worrying to me anyway and probably a lot of others with health conditions for just now ill be staying at home I've only been out once since lock down started actually enjoyed the rest but getting a bit bored now mentality can only watch so many tv repeats  .

I worry.more about my elderly parents if I'm honest dad has a lot of issues with breathing copd as well as dementia and Alzheimer's so doesn't fully understand  the aspects of it all

Mum is in good health but in her mid seventies and scared to go out I'm actually worried about the affect its had on her mental state more so because my sister is a nurse    

Edited by Casper

17 minutes ago, metcars said:

Thanks James.

To clarify, this is for (home) delivery, not re-opening of car showrooms. This also means "click and collect" style transactions would not be allowed at the dealership which remains closed to the public. And also, crucially, the other measures such as social distancing at work, mitigation of transmission via extra cleaning of surfaces, self-isolation if you're sick (including household members and sick pay from day 1) are all in place.

I don't know your personal circumstances but I suspect you are in the group which have been strongly advised to self-isolate (as distinct from social distancing) and I don't know if you have others/staff who can take on the roles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul C said:

To clarify, this is for (home) delivery, not re-opening of car showrooms. This also means "click and collect" style transactions would not be allowed at the dealership which remains closed to the public. And also, crucially, the other measures such as social distancing at work, mitigation of transmission via extra cleaning of surfaces, self-isolation if you're sick (including household members and sick pay from day 1) are all in place.

I don't know your personal circumstances but I suspect you are in the group which have been strongly advised to self-isolate (as distinct from social distancing) and I don't know if you have others/staff who can take on the roles.

Think a lot us here will have a long wait for some sort of normality to return if it ever does 

i was advised to stay at home for twelve weeks if possibly by  the family gp what she also said was millions of people should be but because they weren't on certain meds they never got letters . But in her view they should be . 

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

(I know its a bit grim but) I've stared death in the face in my early 20s - I was seriously ill in hospital, but lived, and am still here at 47. I don't know how I'd cope with CV19 virus - I might brush it off, but I might die. I'm not going to stop it doing what makes life worth living, though (of course, within the relevant government guidelines, legislation and moral framework we all live in). 

I've had a bucket list before and I've finished it - I might add a few more things though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Yeah I’m in that group. I’m in a difficult position. I have to put my health first. But, if I was a younger fitter guy I’d be fighting get back on with the job, so I certainly wouldn’t criticise anyone. 

If I were younger and fitter I'd make all the same mistakes all over again!

There is another element to the current issue. Since the "return to normality" is indeterminate, do we take the risk to 1) get staff back, possibly to earn less than their 80% of OTE, 2) make huge upheaval changes to the business to accommodate remote selling alongside all the contactless/social distancing/H&S at work concerns, only to bleed cash at a slightly lower rate than now. 

What about 6 months time? If the lockdown goes on (and on....) you'll probably be glad you acted now, because those others have missed out on the experience. And what on earth will the market look like in 6 months time? I know the various bodies which set car values have indicated they'll not let prices freefall downwards but what if people just become accustomed to being at home, demand for cars (and availability of finance) slumps never to return and its simply impossible for all but a small(er) proportion of the industry to survive long term?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

If I were younger and fitter I'd make all the same mistakes all over again!

There is another element to the current issue. Since the "return to normality" is indeterminate, do we take the risk to 1) get staff back, possibly to earn less than their 80% of OTE, 2) make huge upheaval changes to the business to accommodate remote selling alongside all the contactless/social distancing/H&S at work concerns, only to bleed cash at a slightly lower rate than now. 

What about 6 months time? If the lockdown goes on (and on....) you'll probably be glad you acted now, because those others have missed out on the experience. And what on earth will the market look like in 6 months time? I know the various bodies which set car values have indicated they'll not let prices freefall downwards but what if people just become accustomed to being at home, demand for cars (and availability of finance) slumps never to return and its simply impossible for all but a small(er) proportion of the industry to survive long term?

Very observant. Interesting times ahead.

I think there’s also an assumption that all customers are happy to buy cars the same way, like ordering a takeaway? They’re not. So a chunk of the motor trade will be able to function a chunk will not. Although it has to be said plenty of the usual suspects have been trading bangers on FB for weeks regardless. Their antivirus cleansing protocol involves an oily rag?

Edited by metcars
  • Like 1

Health is wealth as some learned spokesperson said on here

I've seen enough idiots ignore social distancing  this last 6 weeks to appreciate you are a long time in the sod

I'm out

I'm taking the governments groats and staying bored but healthy 

• Haha 1

In other news, social distancing will be prolonged until a vaccine emerges at the very least. 

Will be interesting to know what some of you will do. 

Perhaps it's time to retire early? 

7 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

In other news, social distancing will be prolonged until a vaccine emerges at the very least. 

Will be interesting to know what some of you will do. 

Perhaps it's time to retire early? 

Well amongst all the uncertainty it is now a green light to trade, prolonged social distancing simply means coming up with a plan where a customer can buy and take delivery in safety,i cant see that being a problem for those who are in this job properly anyway.

the biggest issue looming is the probable reduction in customers, unemployment (already 3.5m) and the fear of it + people tightening the purse strings will no doubt mean a reduction in customers, there will also be a fall out in commercial and fleet sales with the likelyhood that many companys who buy these units will go to the wall, furlough has been good news for company's, but once that ends the bills are back to normal, motor trade aside for many companys who have no orders this in the short term will be fatal.

also, dont forget that buried amongst all this crisis is a forgotten brexit and a mid year FCA decision regarding finance rules, the latter already being an issue lurking for those dealers who rely on deal profit rather than chassis profit.

it could be worse - if you run a pub!

Edited by awc1000
  • Like 2

Ill be operating where its safe to do so.   I'm of sound fitness and health but have got a newborn baby at home. Very cautious.

Delivery is contactless so not getting near anyone. Its lower risk than a trip to the shops, the highest risk aspect of it is the trip to put fuel in and i've only been to pay at pump with gloves on since this so I feel if we are sensible, logical even someone with terrible asthma could theoretically go to their own unit, get the car on their truck and drive to a fuel station to fuel truck and then drop car to customers house and post the key. You are having no contact with anyone.

• Thanks 1

Tests drives are going to be the hardest part for me, I can't see many wanting to part with their hard earned without one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1