James Baggott

Should dealers be selling - and crucially - delivering cars during lockdown?

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Never mind houses, although I do it I still don’t like buying cars online. That’s probably why I prefer a punter to see & drive the metal so there’s no ambiguity, although the businesses selling new or nearly new cars shouldn’t have much problem with ‘blind’ sales via the internet.

Im the same prefer to see them . Or attend the auctions in person 

2 hours ago, metcars said:

There’s no way I’d ship my old bangers off into the distance sight unseen. My punters are very different to the ones buying nearly new stuff? 

That’s my thinking too.

I try to only sell to the sensible 50% of punters. I’d hate to think of the hassles I’d get sending my 10yr old ‘gems’ to the other 50%, some of whom clearly think their couple of grand buys a new car.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BHM said:

That’s my thinking too.

I try to only sell to the sensible 50% of punters. I’d hate to think of the hassles I’d get sending my 10yr old ‘gems’ to the other 50%, some of whom clearly think their couple of grand buys a new car.

There is lot like that isn't there the ones that get me is the ones that come and view something thats an absolute perfect car then try and pick fault or say it has a small dent or stone chip on a 1 owner genuine 50 k miles car at 10 years old with full service history for £1595 

A trend I've noticed is many are saying "we're waiting on government guidance". We're about 20th in the queue, behind other sectors such as.....the airline industry; pubs; restaurants........ schools, etc. Its almost worth taking a risk and preempting what the mid-term will be like, just like eg Cazoo have done.

4 hours ago, BHM said:

That’s my thinking too.

Now you are going to have to send your £2k focus 300 miles for someone to try and find a fault that they hope will make you chip the price rather than take it back. 

Just now, metcars said:

Now you are going to have to send your £2k focus 300 miles for someone to try and find a fault that they hope will make you chip the price rather than take it back. 

I really do get the point about used cars. I wouldn't want to do that as you are leaving yourself wide open. But new cars? Cant see any problems.

52 minutes ago, Nick. said:

I really do get the point about used cars. I wouldn't want to do that as you are leaving yourself wide open. But new cars? Cant see any problems.

This is when a thorough description, tons of pics and a bunch of 5 star Google reviews is going to come into play. I think there will always be a proportion of buyers who want to see the car (and will either delay purchase or return the cars) but there is scope for secondhand as well as new - for the brave.

The wider issue I think is that dealers simply aren't geared up for this, even without the additional considerations of sanitising, unfurloughing staff and the inevitable reduction in demand/deep recession looming.

A tricky time to make money.

14 hours ago, Paul C said:

This is when a thorough description, tons of pics and a bunch of 5 star Google reviews is going to come into play. I think there will always be a proportion of buyers who want to see the car (and will either delay purchase or return the cars) but there is scope for secondhand as well as new - for the brave.

The wider issue I think is that dealers simply aren't geared up for this, even without the additional considerations of sanitising, unfurloughing staff and the inevitable reduction in demand/deep recession looming.

A tricky time to make money.

Good post. Couple of points though. Online deliveries are the future, for everything, not just cars. And obviously in the not too distant future we will acquire our stock in similar way, because the car auctions will move away from physical auctions, and instead bidders will all become account holders. Forced to rely on online auctions dubious online descriptions but also use their own logistics? So, yes, contactless business is the future?

I’m not sure about us moving into a slump. Im not a clever money person, but I know a few. They say sit tight, don’t throw investments on the fire? Personally, when the government send the great unwashed back to work, and as long as that’s everybody, then the economy should spike back up! It might take a couple of weeks but businesses didn’t close because of lack of demand, they shut on orders of government. The widget factory will open on Monday and start making widgets for the businesses that needs them. I know that sounds a little over simplified but that’s how I see it!:lol:

just as an aside, I’ve been viewing a lot of dealers video descriptions. I suspect that some clever young tech person is going to make a lot of money selling this ‘dark art’ to dealers. I was going to post some of the more hilarious ones but it feels a bit mean when those guys obviously think they have done a good job? Being able to use a video camera, having a voice that doesn’t sound like a music hall act, and having the ability to edit professionally are obviously going to be things worth paying for!