James Baggott

Will online car sales allow dealers back to work sooner?

2 minutes ago, DCS01 said:

I am using the time productively, setting up relevant trade accounts, re activating my old Facebook account (deal with the devil) to change for the business.

When this starts to blow over I will be ready to go.

I hate to be cruel, but that is not "productively". That stuff is 10 minutes of clicking. Busy-work. "Productively" is producing - Ie making money. 

Show me the facebook account.

Edited by LINGsCARS

1 minute ago, LINGsCARS said:

I hate to be cruel, but that is not "productively". That stuff is 10 minutes of clicking. Busy-work. "Productively" is producing - Ie making money. 

Without trade accounts I can’t buy. So yes that is productive. The Facebook account I haven’t used for 10 years. I have just requested it to be re activated so I can build it.

Oh yes. I don’t have any capital yet. So making money might be a bit tough at the current time lol

6 minutes ago, DCS01 said:

So making money might be a bit tough at the current time lol

I'm afraid that will come true for you. 

Best will in the world, you need to get a grip. I'd say that to anyone.

At the very least, get a £15/hr fruit picking job, that is equivalent to the max furlough amount (£2500/mth). You'll soon build capital if you live frugally.

No doubt someone will come along and be kinder/sympathise more, soon.

Edited by LINGsCARS

I’m not asking for sympathy. And I have done what you have said before you said it. I have already applied for 6 driving jobs. I will just go out and do that until I’m ready. 

5 minutes ago, DCS01 said:

I’m not asking for sympathy. And I have done what you have said before you said it. I have already applied for 6 driving jobs. I will just go out and do that until I’m ready. 

Excellent, but my reaction would be you need to get a job, not just apply for them. Small difference.

I know you hate me, sorry.

Well considering I only applied for them yesterday getting one in 24 hours may be a bit of a stretch 

1 hour ago, LINGsCARS said:

Very blunt. Very true. 

36 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Very blunt. Very true. 

I understand. But with the current situation I would rather plan get all of my ducks in a row then hit the ground running. And without an auction account I can’t buy stock!

14 minutes ago, DCS01 said:

I understand. But with the current situation I would rather plan get all of my ducks in a row then hit the ground running. And without an auction account I can’t buy stock!

Good luck best wishes hope you get it all sorted . 

9 minutes ago, Casper said:

Good luck best wishes hope you get it all sorted . 

Thanks.  I was meant to be moving which would have freed up a bit of Capital. I think I might have to try stock funding for a bit. 

I am taking this as a blessing in disguise. Had enough of making money for other people who pretend they do but don’t actually give a f*** about you (yes this is life)

On 4/14/2020 at 1:39 PM, James Baggott said:

What we know so far is in that article I wrote yesterday. We don't know if online sales will be the release for dealers to get back to work - but it certainly has been in the States.

Or was it something else definitive needed? Let me know

I think Ford of Britain boss Andy Barratt's comments in today's Car Dealer Live were interesting on this - he said when it comes to car sales lockdown should mean lockdown

Read it here https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/ford-boss-lockdown-means-lockdown-no-one/189914

I think it’s because they can’t go fully digital.

us smaller indies, at least many of us,  can safely operate digitally, online with safe delivery completely free from contact. If business switched that way for the next year I could quite easily adapt. If I had a multi million pound showroom would I want to. 

im starting to look beyond this and sure there’s a lot of what ifs after lock down but there’s bound to be a lot of opportunity aswell. 

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Im starting to look beyond this and sure there’s a lot of what ifs after lock down but there’s bound to be a lot of opportunity aswell. 

+1

i think everyone on this forum should be using this time to ponder what a post CV used car business world could look like?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, metcars said:

+1

i think everyone on this forum should be using this time to ponder what a post CV used car business world could look like?

Good point I'm currently in the man shed modifying an old upright Hoover junior,I've got it to move slowly across the floor with an outstanding stick a bit like mat Watson uses in his video but mine has a hook on the end to pass the keys over

The problem is one has to shout to get the customer to hear you over the noise of the 700 watt moter and unfortunately this is causing lots of water droplets from my mouth to exceed the current 12 foot limit

I will get back to you on this with further modifications

24 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Good point I'm currently in the man shed modifying an old upright Hoover junior,I've got it to move slowly across the floor with an outstanding stick a bit like mat Watson uses in his video but mine has a hook on the end to pass the keys over

The problem is one has to shout to get the customer to hear you over the noise of the 700 watt moter and unfortunately this is causing lots of water droplets from my mouth to exceed the current 12 foot limit

I will get back to you on this with further modifications

Are you modifying it for more power, or better handling?

25 minutes ago, metcars said:

Are you modifying it for more power, or better handling?

I notice in the later ranges they do a turbo model but I'm keeping mine original,this model doesn't even come with a headlight

Looking more for reduced noise,I'm currently experimenting by stuffing my old underpants in the waste bag to see if this has any impact on the decibel levels

The handling is quite good but I'm a bit afraid once it ses the concrete floor at work traction may become an issue

I might have to resort to poly bushes to keep the motor separate from the meccano drive train

Had to put the project on hold, the wife's just told me she needs it for the bedroom carpet

:wacko:

Edited by New year revolutions......

4 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Use a remote control car or drone simple :lol:

That might be alright for you but I'm still trying to get used to a touch screen never mind flying airyplane things into customers faces

Oops sorry

Well at least your other eye is ok:lol:

7 minutes ago, LINGsCARS said:

While you lot are pissing about with vacuums, I am selling.

Merc A-Class and a Trok today. BOOM. :)

good for you, i just hope the industry you show so much contempt for yet rely on for supply still exists when this crisis ends...

out of interest - how much lead time did you quote for delivery? and where can i buy the type of crystal ball that you are using?

14 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

good for you, i just hope the industry you show so much contempt for yet rely on for supply still exists when this crisis ends...

out of interest - how much lead time did you quote for delivery? and where can i buy the type of crystal ball that you are using?

Merc is 19th June delivery, Trok is 20th August.

Why am I showing contempt? I am selling cars, supporting the industry. Doing what i should be doing. How is that contempt? I'm supporting my suppliers and my customers.

Don't need a crystal ball, ...just plain balls will do. And a "get on with it" attitude.

Edited by LINGsCARS

I don't think I could sell a punter a 10yr old Ford focus and have them wait 3 months to pick it up? Or maybe I could? I can guarantee they'd want to chip me come handover?

15 minutes ago, metcars said:

I don't think I could sell a punter a 10yr old Ford focus and have them wait 3 months to pick it up? Or maybe I could? I can guarantee they'd want to chip me come handover?

Hang on,

First, your 10 year old Focus will have probably dropped to bits by then, agreed...

Second, Umesh is selling his old cars for delivery after lockdown, why not mutter at him?

UMESH1.jpg

*** note, I applaud Umesh selling online by video, showing some spirit in this adversity, everyone could be doing that?

Edited by LINGsCARS

Ling, at first you were an interesting diversion. Now the novelty has lost its sparkle so have you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LINGsCARS said:

Hang on,

First, your 10 year old Focus will have probably dropped to bits by then, agreed...

Second, Umesh is selling his old cars for delivery after lockdown, why not mutter at him?

UMESH1.jpg

*** note, I applaud Umesh selling online by video, showing some spirit in this adversity, everyone could be doing that?

Why don't you offer to send him a mug?