James Baggott

Will online car sales allow dealers back to work sooner?

2 minutes ago, Cars said:

It is a difficult one.

Lockdown is not only meant to protect individuals from spreading the virus but more importantly, protecting the NHS by not undertaking non-essential activities that could lead to accidents that then draw police and NHS resources away from fighting the Coronavirus.

Welcome to the forum cars . 

• Like 1

Amazon are still delivering crap (she’d tell you otherwise) to ‘Her Indoors.’

What’s essential about nail polish? Why are they allowed to deliver?

One van delivering to multi households of course. Is that safer than one car on one truck?  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NOACROSS said:

One van delivering to multi households of course. Is that safer than one car on one truck?  

Good point. There do seem to be a few business doing non-essential deliveries. I am not saying that is right, just highlighting the intended purpose of lockdown

2 minutes ago, Cars said:

Good point. There do seem to be a few business doing non-essential deliveries. I am not saying that is right, just highlighting the intended purpose of lockdown

Hi Cars. I wasn’t finger pointing. Just open questioning for thoughts. :0)

I ordered a part for the coffee machine at home (1st world problems). It came the next day with a mini chocolate bar included. I suppose because food items are more essential? I did laugh (and ate it immediately of course)

I wouldn’t want to treat this lightly. I’m a vulnerable person, I’ve had the NHS letter, If I catch it, i won’t bother buying a return ticket to the nightingale hospital? So I’m keen to support the ‘spirit’ of the lockdown instead of looking at it as a barrier to my business and trying to circumvent it. But, it’s pretty obvious that the exit strategy from all this is going to have to focus on businesses capable of minimising contact and dealing online. Ordering and delivering cars with little human contact (maybe a covid clean?) I feel that there is going to be a new ‘normal’ and the days of crowded car showrooms are going to be far far in the future. I’m sure a lot of guys thought we’ll sit tight for a few weeks and then be let out slowly, but that’s not going to happen. 

The virus has been shown to reinfect and to mutate. Vaccine is a year away? Adapt or die?

opinions?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Just playing Devils Advocate:

You’re one for the small print TV. Can you actually find anything that says contactless, virtual buying/deliveries can’t 

Covid-19 update: Dealer Auction will remain active to advertise and transact vehicles. However, please adhere to government restrictions when arranging collection and delivery. Our team are working remotely but will do their best to manage negotiations. For questions please email info@dealerauction.co.uk. For negotiations please use negotiations@dealerauction.co.uk or call 0330 128 1250.

The catch and risk is the bit you highlighted in yellow. 

How many people allow self test drive? Will you let your punter self drive a pricey motor? And they disappear? 

Or they do come back and say its making a noise. You will walk up and say what noise... I can't hear it... Social distancing  can and is ignored very easily... 

Your local environmental health / trading standards team can come and tell you to close... And issue a fine. 

50 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

My friend... Delivery rules are simple. Knock on the door. Leave the parcel... 'howdy your delivery is on the floor. Ciao' 

Cars is a different ball game. Hill billy 'ere mate it's making a squeaky noise' you walk up 'i can't hear it'. 

You will ignore or be complacent to social distancing. 

Also the virus is said to be live on surfaces for a long time. You will pass a key or touch the door handle or steering wheel and so will your punter. Whereas amazon box has probably not been touched for ages or handled with gloves. 

I am only saying my 2pence but who am I. It's everyones individual decisions and their lives. 

I am enjoying my time off... Go shopping at 745pm and the shops are dead. 

I am lucky to live in an area where people are respectable and cross the road if they see you to maintain good distance. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

The catch and risk is the bit you highlighted in yellow. 

How many people allow self test drive? Will you let your punter self drive a pricey motor? And they disappear? 

Or they do come back and say its making a noise. You will walk up and say what noise... I can't hear it... Social distancing  can and is ignored very easily... 

Your local environmental health / trading standards team can come and tell you to close... And issue a fine. 

My friend... Delivery rules are simple. Knock on the door. Leave the parcel... 'howdy your delivery is on the floor. Ciao' 

Cars is a different ball game. Hill billy 'ere mate it's making a squeaky noise' you walk up 'i can't hear it'. 

You will ignore or be complacent to social distancing. 

Also the virus is said to be live on surfaces for a long time. You will pass a key or touch the door handle or steering wheel and so will your punter. Whereas amazon box has probably not been touched for ages or handled with gloves. 

I am only saying my 2pence but who am I. It's everyones individual decisions and their lives. 

I am enjoying my time off... Go shopping at 745pm and the shops are dead. 

I am lucky to live in an area where people are respectable and cross the road if they see you to maintain good distance. 

Interesting as always TV2. I wasn’t condoning any of my posts open questions, but, again playing Devil’s Advocate only:  no one is talking about being open. So the trading standards comment is moot. As is the Amazon delivery with gloves and your incorrect point about the package not being touched by many (I have been inside DHL warehouses/centres etc. and believe me the contact is high and involves many people working in close quarters. 

A car could be delivered in the same way.  Sanitised wipes, masks, gloves. Sanitised key through letterbox or a 4 metre distance kept for example. 

I would proffer the DAdvocate line that  the Amazon delivery van is a far more likely to be a virus spreader to multi households than one car on one truck to one house. 

Just sayin’ as the kids say to open the debate further. Wonder what others think. 

1 hour ago, James Baggott said:

What we know so far is in that article I wrote yesterday. We don't know if online sales will be the release for dealers to get back to work - but it certainly has been in the States.

Or was it something else definitive needed? Let me know

I think Ford of Britain boss Andy Barratt's comments in today's Car Dealer Live were interesting on this - he said when it comes to car sales lockdown should mean lockdown

Read it here https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/ford-boss-lockdown-means-lockdown-no-one/189914

Next relaunched their website today, and the demand was so heavy it crashed. The people in this thread dissecting why car sales are not possible need a slap with a wet fish. (metaphorically). I've just taken an order for a Golf Mk7 and (Ford of Britain boss Andy Barratt will b pleased) a Ford Focus Hatchback 1.5 EcoBlue ST-Line (120bhp)... there *IS* demand out there.

MetCars might have it right: Adapt or die

But the key is engaging with customers online as plain jane adverts won't cut it.

Edited by LINGsCARS

@LINGsCARS the difference between a Next sweater and a car is huge.

As a seller you might be given the run around in non covid-19 era. But now some jokers will want to take the piss... I personally wouldn't want to be in that situation and the twist of the knife would be you might get ill on top. 

If Billy says there is a fault. Do you refund? Or do you get a mechanic? Whilst mechanics are key workers a lot have closed shop. 

Whereas the Next sweater you can return when shops open in 6 months :lol:

Also I would think personally online delivery on a brand new car  bought or leased would be slightly simpler than a 5 year old used one  less likely For. Customer complaints etc 

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

Just now, Casper said:

Also I would think delivery on a new car  bought or leased would be slighter simpler than a 5 year old used one  

Or 10yr old?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, metcars said:

Or 10yr old?

Yes agree with that was just making an example that surely a brand new lease or purchased car has less for a customer to pick fault with than a used one   

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Casper said:

Yes agree with that was just making an example that surely a brand new lease or purchased car has less for a customer to pick fault with than a used one   

99% of customers are reasonable, also bear in mind I tee them up to be reasonable for the delivery. 

This is car-as-consumer good, a new car but it's like a fridge.

Small cosmetics tend to get bought out (eg a case of wine for a chip on the bonnet is usually fine). It's a lease car, who cares? If there are driving issues (rare), take it to the nearest franchised dealer for warranty work, easy.

My customers are REALLY happy. They know they are getting a (cheap) new car deal - I tell them "I'm Chinese not Catholic, I can't do miracles"

1 minute ago, LINGsCARS said:

My customers are REALLY happy. They know they are getting a (cheap) new car deal - I tell them "I'm Chinese not Catholic, I can't do miracles"

Your analogies are a mile off lol. Cars have more parts than fridges and sweaters lol. So more can go wrong. 

Also are you looking to do sales? 

You mention you're Chinese. My concern is, I have read there has been a lot of racist attacks on Chinese because the narrow minded of the UK blame the Chinese for the virus. 

So if you're looking to do a sale or two be very careful... 

How to tee a customer up for delivery with pre-loaded goodwill:

I send one of these before every new car, Picanto or Range Rover.

My point is, don't make it all about the car! Customer interaction goodwill is key. Buy goodwill. It's massive.

See a bigger PDF here https://www.lingscars.com/images/lingo/safety/safety-card.pdf

safety-card.jpg

I even send them a movie, you can play it from my server, here: 

https://www.lingscars.com/images/facebook/safety.mp4

(Can't put it on YT as the Lady Gaga music is copyright)

7 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Your analogies are a mile off lol. Cars have more parts than fridges and sweaters lol. So more can go wrong. 

Also are you looking to do sales? 

You mention you're Chinese. My concern is, I have read there has been a lot of racist attacks on Chinese because the narrow minded of the UK blame the Chinese for the virus. 

So if you're looking to do a sale or two be very careful... 

I haven't come across ANY racism, apart from this:

Clearly this small-minded stupid person doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

The ignorance is massive, the prejudice is juvenile xenophobia.

It's very sad that these people exist in the UK.

racistchat.jpg

10 minutes ago, LINGsCARS said:

How to tee a customer up for delivery with pre-loaded goodwill:

I send one of these before every new car, Picanto or Range Rover.

My point is, don't make it all about the car! Customer interaction goodwill is key. Buy goodwill. It's massive.

See a bigger PDF here https://www.lingscars.com/images/lingo/safety/safety-card.pdf

safety-card.jpg

I even send them a movie, you can play it from my server, here: 

https://www.lingscars.com/images/facebook/safety.mp4

(Can't put it on YT as the Lady Gaga music is copyright)

:lol: thank you ling . Lol

Its one thing to sell new cars online but used cars are a whole different world of pain. You open yourself up to distance selling regs for one thing. I know there are people doing it, but its not for me.

3 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Its one thing to sell new cars online but used cars are a whole different world of pain. You open yourself up to distance selling regs for one thing. I know there are people doing it, but its not for me.

I agree 

13 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Distance selling regs apply to me, too. Occasionally, some asshole returns a car... little can be done about it. Cooling off waivers are fine, but frankly the customer will always win.

But again, this is why the customer relationship needs to be about more than the car. I really engage with customers. An example is this customer who "works" in Afghan, and "lives" in Liverpool. Had an Evokki and a GLA Merc. Here's a message from him over the weekend. These customers are friends, not just customers. I was suggesting a payment holiday for his contract. he sent me a pic, too. You must say: AMAZING.

How will this customer "Gary" EVER EVER hand a car back to me?

Hi. Ling , hope you your family and staff are all good , I'm currently still in Afghanistan and ok ...I have no return date yet , we are taking shelter in our camp base and adhere to the social distancing and rules of engagement...still on mission ...all my dogs (k9 military) are confined to cages and only go out for a few hours a day ...my family remain in their Liverpool lockdown jail ..and cannot go out stealing things meanwhile my Mercedes stays on the drive crying for my return ...lol all the mileage will be ok ...ha take care stay safe ...my payments will carry on as I am still ok financially at the moment as I get paid a bonus per body bag, hah. thank you for the updates ....Gaz

gary_dog.jpg

52 minutes ago, LINGsCARS said:

99% of customers are reasonable, also bear in mind I tee them up to be reasonable for the delivery. 

This is car-as-consumer good, a new car but it's like a fridge.

Small cosmetics tend to get bought out (eg a case of wine for a chip on the bonnet is usually fine). It's a lease car, who cares? If there are driving issues (rare), take it to the nearest franchised dealer for warranty work, easy.

Ling

Your business is not remotely comparable to the that of the rest of us on here.  You are basically acting as a go-between - an agent, you are not 'selling' cars.  I suspect you seldom see the cars or the customers.  I also suspect that most of your customers visit franchised dealers to inspect and test drive potential purchases. Once they have taken delivery of the car you are out of the equation and unless something very very untoward happens then they won't interact with you again until the lease comes to an end.

The guys on here, like me, are buying used cars, preparing/repairing them, taking customers on test drives, explaining features, trying to stop them buying the 'wrong' car, negotiating on price and then dealing with all the aftersales issues - possibly servicing the car subsequently.

We need to know what our market will buy, how to evaluate a car, estimate preparation costs.,  what to buy and what to avoid, how to structure a P/X-finance deal. How to calm an irate customer.... the list goes on and on.  

In my view (and I don't mean this in a nasty way) you are not a car dealer.

• Thanks 1

A lot of that is wrong, halfpenny, I think the message from "Gaz" above proves I am not out of the equation after delivery. i build a real friendship with most customers. I'm their first port of call for any help. 

Of course I'm selling, the customer talks to me and orders the car from me. A lot of people don't test-drive these days, they choose a car like a fridge. Do you "test drive" a fridge? 

There are no bad cars these days, my customers tend to want "a good deal", we ping pong some cars and they say "yeah, I'll have that one". they only have the cars for 1-3 years, after all.

My communications are MASSIVE. :)

Here's an example, Steve, who had an e-golf. Look at the delivery from Listers :)  Listen to how much I saved him over his local dealer. he did test drive at his local dealer, so that vindicates you a bit. He says the handover is "head and shoulders" above Tesla.

Edited by LINGsCARS

2 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Ling

Your business is not remotely comparable to the that of the rest of us on here.  You are basically acting as a go-between - an agent, you are not 'selling' cars.  I suspect you seldom see the cars or the customers.  I also suspect that most of your customers visit franchised dealers to inspect and test drive potential purchases. Once they have taken delivery of the car you are out of the equation and unless something very very untoward happens then they won't interact with you again until the lease comes to an end.

The guys on here, like me, are buying used cars, preparing/repairing them, taking customers on test drives, explaining features, trying to stop them buying the 'wrong' car, negotiating on price and then dealing with all the aftersales issues - possibly servicing the car subsequently.

We need to know what our market will buy, how to evaluate a car, estimate preparation costs.,  what to buy and what to avoid, how to structure a P/X-finance deal. How to calm an irate customer.... the list goes on and on.  

In my view (and I don't mean this in a nasty way) you are not a car dealer.

I remember going for an interview in sales years ago with a main dealer actually glad i never got the the job at the time long story but needed work at the time or should say more money at the time but remained doing my own thing and gained and built up more contacts and got rid of the reason/person why i needed.said money a woman the apple of my eye at the time  apparently i had no future and no stability being self employed and fancy curtains were more important 

anyway main dealer principal phones me for a chat not interview then starts by saying you should  have wore a shirt and tie for an interview my reply was i would have had i known it was an interview 

so we get on to the experience part tells him I've run my own car sales company for x number years bought cars for various traders etc to which he replies this is much easier than being a salesman for a main dealer as this is a trade environment   

i ask him to explain why as i have to appraise the px buy the cars evaluate them mechanical find my customer find the market etc and that if some walks into his showroom most times they know what there looking for and what there there for to which he said he couldn't 

I appreciate that you have build a very good business ling i respect and admire you for you but do agree with halfpenny in a sense thats its very different from used cars and there is also many different types of business with the motor trade and also used and new car sales 

I enjoy your input 

best wishes 

Edited by Casper

Well to me used cars are very hard. New cars are very easy, I'm selling peas from a pod.

I struggle to see how used cars (where every car is different with so many variables) can be sold efficiently.

That's why I prefer new cars, they are apples and apples. I can bang the same good deal out multiple times like a machine gun. :)

For instance, I did about 30 e-Golfs in the same batch as the one in the film above (not all from Listers as I spread my risk)

- Ling

Edited by LINGsCARS

1 minute ago, LINGsCARS said:

Well to me used cars are very hard. New cars are very easy, I'm selling peas from a pod.

I struggle to see how used cars (where every car is different with so many variables) can be sold efficiently.

That's why I prefer new cars, they are apples and apples. I can bang the same good deal out multiple times like a machine gun. :)

- Ling

Thanks ling yes and you do very well at it .and do it well 

ive always liked the way you advertise website etc and if i ever need or have a reason to lease vehicles or any friend or customer who does i would recommend your company to them ( if i get you a customer you can send me a badge or a mug lol )  

Exactly what your saying in my point that i was saying to the dealer principal Every job is different and i believe it would be easier to sell a new car or even a used car in a main dealer setting than working for home or for a used car forecourt . 

Take care and may you and your family and staff stay well and take care .