James Baggott

Will online car sales allow dealers back to work sooner?

I've taken a look at a growing trend in the States, where online car sales have been allowed to continue despite car showrooms remaining closed.

Could the same happen here to allow dealers back to work sooner? 

Here's a Bank Holiday Monday read for you. Let me know what you think it the comments below.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/online-car-sales-allow-car-dealers-go-back-work/189840

Ironically I sold a Mercedes to someone in California last month, they are now going to collect as soon as they can fly to the uk, they have a holiday home here, car is paid in full :-)

From what I have seen there are plenty of dealers already open offering online sales only. We are closed but many appear to be selling! 

• Like 2

many hurdles to jump i am thinking, here are a few  of my thoughts =

car transporter drivers [excluding licensed salvage operators]  delivering single item to a punter or even ten new ones to a dealership are, in my opinion, not key workers ?

correct me if i am wrong, lawgistics suggested that delivering a car was fulfilling a legal contract, while this maybe correct,i would not want to be the one at the side of the road with blue lights flashing behind me, it would strongly deter me and others i would have thought?

new cars maybe slightly easier to move out of the showroom, the thought of delivering a used car, unseen to a customer, no matter how much is on the "video" sends shudders down my spine, if the general public dropped there expectations of a used car then fine, but that does not happen [ see my user name] .

staff, you cannot work while on furlough, so how many staff are involved in the selling of a new car ? the salesman the valeter the person who does pdi the paperwork person the delivery etc. offset those wages against how many you sell a month, so those wages to be paid, no furlough for the company staff, profit ?

all the above is with government advice of today regarding covid19 [13.4.2020] although it is believed strongly in the motor trade that none essential business will be one of the last "let loose" because there will be no "right, back to work chaps" in one fell swoop as can be seen re italy yesterday.

so lets talk about "us" my general thoughts of the people on here run from either a pitch, with attached place of working, maybe for small repairs valeting etc or a unit with similar, all with neighbours , "all retail with notable exceptions are to close" is the clear law [ yes its law now] so, unless its , a, in stock, b valeted, c, mot, d pre delivery checked, and the rest, how can we go to work and supply online sales ? for one, the neighbour [business] will say, how come he is working and i cannot ? and it is a very fair point ?

should the bodyshop be open ? is it a garage ? should you be running a sold car down for mot ? is it essential? why is it essential ? are you running a business that should be closed ?

all very difficult !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't get confused, like much of the public is that "non Key workers" can't go to work. Thats not the case at all if following government guidelines.

Most people can in fact go to work if that work can't be done from home - whether it's essential or not is irrelevant.

As car dealers, we can still go into work, legitimately drive a car to an automated car wash, take it on a test run, picture it, fix it, etc etc.

As with any other line of work. The restrictions are on opening retail outlets to members of the public which we are restricted from doing. And also restrictions on members of the general public from making non essential trips, for instance looking at a car. 

But its not against guidelines to deliver a sold car or do anything work related with a vehicle.

There is though obviously a moral line to be drawn. But you can go to work if you can't work from home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

the thought of delivering a used car, unseen to a customer, no matter how much is on the "video" sends shudders down my spine, if the general public dropped there expectations of a used car then fine, but that does not happen [ see my user name] .

:lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dealer said:

From what I have seen there are plenty of dealers already open offering online sales only. We are closed but many appear to be selling! 

They can be fined. 

They're not essential key workers. 

Lot of ads on fb about social distancing sales. 

If they're flouting this rule they should not be trusted. Probably selling a banger. 

Feel free to report them.

@have a word with the wife well put mate. Saved me the typing lol. 

PS i hear a lot of drug dealers have been caught. Hopefully Dodgy car dealers will be too. And if you're car isn't shown as taxed or insured as a buyer then expect your pants pulled down big time on top of essential travelling questions..

Edited by TangoVictor32
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

so lets talk about "us" my general thoughts of the people on here run from either a pitch, with attached place of working, maybe for small repairs valeting etc or a unit with similar, all with neighbours , "all retail with notable exceptions are to close" is the clear law [ yes its law now] so, unless its , a, in stock, b valeted, c, mot, d pre delivery checked, and the rest, how can we go to work and supply online sales ? for one, the neighbour [business] will say, how come he is working and i cannot ? and it is a very fair point ?

We did this anyway. If someone wants to buy a car from me literally nothing to stop me going to unit alone, getting car and paperwork, blast it with jetwash to get dust off, load it onto recovery truck deliver to someones house and post the key.  Or even drive it post key and get mrs to follow me and drive back together no mixing households. 

Its not difficult is it if you are prepared.

10 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

They can be fined. 

They're not essential key workers. 

Lot of ads on fb about social distancing sales. 

If they're flouting this rule they should not be trusted. Probably selling a banger. 

Feel free to report them.

@have a word with the wife well put mate. Saved me the typing lol. 

PS i hear a lot of drug dealers have been caught. Hopefully Dodgy car dealers will be too. And if you're car isn't shown as taxed or insured as a buyer then expect your pants pulled down big time on top of essential travelling questions..

Get a grip.   

37 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Get a grip.   

Rory,I think Tango V might know what he is talking about.Also has anyone heard if Glasgow Mark got back safely.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Rory,I think Tango V might know what he is talking about.Also has anyone heard if Glasgow Mark got back safely.

Just playing Devils Advocate:

You’re one for the small print TV. Can you actually find anything that says contactless, virtual buying/deliveries can’t be done?

I read it as that Rory et al are correct legally.

We are told to ‘only go to work, if you absolutely can’t do it from home.’  

Now I’m not suggesting car sites should be open to the public- they most certainly shouldn’t be. But, if you’re not furloughed, like many Ltd company directors aren’t, then I read it that you can go to work for necessary reasons. Going to collect a car, bring it home or to your lock up etc, seems acceptable in my interpretation as long as the MORE IMPORTANT social distancing rules are followed. 

As for deliveries journeys, I believe recovery truck operators are still able to work, as a friend of mine has one, and specifically has spoken to Dorset Police who confirmed he could still work. 

Now, the moral argument is a different thing of course. And only the individual can answer the question of what is prudent and sensible. 

Repeat, I am just playing Devil’s Advocate and not necessarily expressing my views either way. 

For example, the online ‘big boys’ are still in business with statements like this on their websites (I assume BCA etc have similar statements)

Covid-19 update: Dealer Auction will remain active to advertise and transact vehicles. However, please adhere to government restrictions when arranging collection and delivery. Our team are working remotely but will do their best to manage negotiations. For questions please email info@dealerauction.co.uk. For negotiations please use negotiations@dealerauction.co.uk or call 0330 128 1250.

Edited by NOACROSS

You are perfectly entitled to sell cars once you stick to government guidelines and make sure the entire process is contactless.

Lots of garages still open, as are the main auctions. Trade platers are mostly on lock down but ones that work for the hire industry are still operating. As Noacross mentioned above, Low loaders and transporters that work in recovery are still operating as usual.

Be nice if Car Dealer Magazine could go definitive on this subject? What do the industry experts say? 

To the above have a look at james baggot speaking to the ford of britains chairman and md andy barratt, [ i have not seen it all yet ] And see his response, far better than i could put it, i have plans, yet to be discussed, but they do not include delivery...........................thanks james again by the way .

6 minutes ago, metcars said:

Be nice if Car Dealer Magazine could go definitive on this subject? What do the industry experts say? 

If I’m not mistaken didn’t the Prime Minister specifically name car showrooms as one of the businesses to be closed? If so I’d say it was clear cut.

Personally I believe operating an online ordering & contactless handover must be ok but I think everyone should hold tight for a few weeks. Not to sound flippant but it’ll all come out in the wash, commerce will NOT stop long term. Many of those entitled to the £10/25K have had it so should be happy to keep the brakes on for a few more weeks. Surely that’s what those payments are for?

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

We did this anyway. If someone wants to buy a car from me literally nothing to stop me going to unit alone, getting car and paperwork, blast it with jetwash to get dust off, load it onto recovery truck deliver to someones house and post the key.  Or even drive it post key and get mrs to follow me and drive back together no mixing households. 

Its not difficult is it if you are prepared.

i take you back to the word, issued by the government, and, policed=

"Essential travel is largely defined as shopping for necessities, picking up medical suppliers, caring for a vulnerable person and getting to and from work if you cannot do so from home"

don't shoot me, i want to get back too !

Edited by have a word with the wife

Online sales are entirely possible. My customers (mainly) sign finance docs online.

Often my new cars never physically hit a dealership. they are delivered by logistic companies to a home address, from a compound. For instance Citroens are PDId and delivered by GEFCO direct to home addresses from Sandtoft and Sheerness etc. No need for a franchised dealership, even the fleet people I deal with are at a remote location (and from home, at the mo).

Why are most dealers making it so difficult to keep their businesses going? Some seem frightened to even answer an email. BOOOOOO!

Here is an encouraging email from an enterprising PREMIUM BRAND dealer explaining deliveries are ON. Thunderbirds are Go!

I don't want any weak-willy replies to this post. Keep your pathetic "can't do" attitudes to yourselves. ta.

cando.jpg

Edited by LINGsCARS

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Just playing Devils Advocate:

You’re one for the small print TV. Can you actually find anything that says contactless, virtual buying/deliveries can’t be done?

I read it as that Rory et al are correct legally.

We are told to ‘only go to work, if you absolutely can’t do it from home.’  

Now I’m not suggesting car sites should be open to the public- they most certainly shouldn’t be. But, if you’re not furloughed, like many Ltd company directors aren’t, then I read it that you can go to work for necessary reasons. Going to collect a car, bring it home or to your lock up etc, seems acceptable in my interpretation as long as the MORE IMPORTANT social distancing rules are followed. 

As for deliveries journeys, I believe recovery truck operators are still able to work, as a friend of mine has one, and specifically has spoken to Dorset Police who confirmed he could still work. 

Now, the moral argument is a different thing of course. And only the individual can answer the question of what is prudent and sensible. 

Repeat, I am just playing Devil’s Advocate and not necessarily expressing my views either way. 

For example, the online ‘big boys’ are still in business with statements like this on their websites (I assume BCA etc have similar statements)

Covid-19 update: Dealer Auction will remain active to advertise and transact vehicles. However, please adhere to government restrictions when arranging collection and delivery. Our team are working remotely but will do their best to manage negotiations. For questions please email info@dealerauction.co.uk. For negotiations please use negotiations@dealerauction.co.uk or call 0330 128 1250.

Hi Noa

I have not read the small print about gov.lock down directions.I think technically you should be allowed to make a non contact delivery.However should you get pulled by a patrol car,I think they will still give you a ticket and turn you around.Keep on going and you are in bigger trouble with a bigger fine.Then the only way to get out of the fine is to challenge it in court by which time the police might have thought up other charges.I just watched the Ford UK CEO tell James Baggott that all Ford dealers are not delivering vehicles and lock down means lock down.

4 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Noa

I have not read the small print about gov.lock down directions.I think technically you should be allowed to make a non contact delivery.However should you get pulled by a patrol car,I think they will still give you a ticket and turn you around.Keep on going and you are in bigger trouble with a bigger fine.Then the only way to get out of the fine is to challenge it in court by which time the police might have thought up other charges.I just watched the Ford UK CEO tell James Baggott that all Ford dealers are not delivering vehicles and lock down means lock down.

My question suggested a recovery truck delivery TV. I agree you’d probably get stopped if driving it yourself to the punter. Especially out of the area. 

I’m eating a lot of Chinese food in the hope of building up immunity?

8 minutes ago, metcars said:

I’m eating a lot of Chinese food in the hope of building up immunity?

You may as well just inject yourself directly with CoronaVirus, it seems. 

5 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

My question suggested a recovery truck delivery TV. I agree you’d probably get stopped if driving it yourself to the punter. Especially out of the area. 

Would a patrol officer not scan the reg on the ‘ recovered’ vehicle after asking what you were doing.You might have to be travelling in the right direction of the previous keeper to get away with it provided it wasn’t down as being ‘ in the trade ‘. ....

4 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Would a patrol officer not scan the reg on the ‘ recovered’ vehicle after asking what you were doing.You might have to be travelling in the right direction of the previous keeper to get away with it provided it wasn’t down as being ‘ in the trade ‘. ....

I know of one person be told to go home when travelling to bca to collect a car and also a transporter company who were told to park up there 2 car transporters as it wasn't essential travel  . Though I'm not even sure the police know or are following the rules .

Edited by Casper

1 hour ago, metcars said:

What we know so far is in that article I wrote yesterday. We don't know if online sales will be the release for dealers to get back to work - but it certainly has been in the States.

Or was it something else definitive needed? Let me know

I think Ford of Britain boss Andy Barratt's comments in today's Car Dealer Live were interesting on this - he said when it comes to car sales lockdown should mean lockdown

Read it here https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/ford-boss-lockdown-means-lockdown-no-one/189914

It is a difficult one.

Lockdown is not only meant to protect individuals from spreading the virus but more importantly, protecting the NHS by not undertaking non-essential activities that could lead to accidents that then draw police and NHS resources away from fighting the Coronavirus.