LINGsCARS

*** HYUNDAI UK CLICK TO BUY PREVENTS PRICE COMPETITION ***

*** HYUNDAI UK CLICK TO BUY PREVENTS PRICE COMPETITION ***

It's one thing to trumpet "Hyundai Motor UK has updated its digital car-buying service Click to Buy as part of the company's response to the Covid-19 lockdown."

Ashley Andrew, managing director of Hyundai Motor UK, said: "Our decision to focus on Click to Buy comes at a time when our retailers and our customers need more flexibility than ever. Even with their doors closed, retailers are still able to find introductions to new customers, and our customers are able to find all the information they could possibly need from the safety of their own homes."

But it's quite another thing to put it into practice.They are very afraid of allowing proper price comparisons for their customers.

Hyundai are still terrified of upsetting any of their dealers, so they make it almost impossible for customers to compare any dealer pricing.

Hyundai say: "our dealers can price their own cars locally - simply click the view more cars button when you're presented with your initial results."

But, they make it hard for customers to compare that pricing by demanding: "We ask that you open an account to view local prices so you can save your quote from your chosen dealer."

***YOU CAN'T COMPARE THESE LOCAL HYUNDAI DEALER PRICES***

Customers are prevented from seeing competing dealer pricing, back to back. Hyundai say: "Click to Buy will only allow you to see pricing from one dealer at a time. If you would like to change dealers, to check their price ...any existing quotes will be deleted."

DELETED! - Wow!

Hyundai even have an FAQ that answers the customer anticipated question: "I changed my dealer and my quotes have been deleted?"

====

This kind of backward thinking over open price comparisons is one reason why this service will fail. Customers need good information to make decisions, and an important part of that information is to be able to rationalise a buying decision by comparing prices over various supplying dealers. How else to make a confident buying decision? Otherwise, a customer is using blind faith to guess they are getting the best price offer. Therefore, they WON'T **CLICK to BUY!**

It's one thing, and bad enough, to allow just one Hyundai dealer's prices to be visible at one time... but to actively DELETE quotes saved from a particular Hyundai dealer, just because a customer has the temerity to want to view the prices at another particular Hyundai dealer ...is terrible.

It borders on price-fixing in the way it discourages viewing price competition between dealers. It's certainly designed to suppress any price competition.

Treating customers like this... stinks.

When the MD of Hyundai UK says: "our customers are able to find all the information they could possibly need from the safety of their own homes.", he's wrong.

It should read " Hyundai PREVENT customers being able to find all the information they could possibly need from the safety of their own homes, by deleting quote information if they choose to shop around for better prices."

Hyundai deliberately make things difficult by preventing customers finding the best prices.

This is NOT how to make a digital buying service successful, Hyundai.

ctb.jpg

Edited by LINGsCARS

shiver me timbers, it's Ling from 2007's Dragons Den! :D

Just now, Halfpenny said:

Surely customers can just take a screenshot of the quote?

How hard is it acceptable to make it for customers? That's a lunatic approach. Name me ANY online shopping service where you have to take multiple screenshots and then have quotes deleted in order to compare pricing? Nuts, and bordering on stifling price competition.

3 minutes ago, LINGsCARS said:

How hard is it acceptable to make it for customers? That's a lunatic approach. Name me ANY online shopping service where you have to take multiple screenshots and then have quotes deleted in order to compare pricing? Nuts, and bordering on stifling price competition.

I agree its not convenient but when I buy anything online or enter into any kind of electronically-mediated contract I ALWAYS take screenshots because I don't trust the other party not to change quote details at their end or for the site to crash etc.

40 minutes ago, Zest said:

shiver me timbers, it's Ling from 2007's Dragons Den! :D

I thought it was 2008 could be wrong 

1 hour ago, Halfpenny said:

I agree its not convenient but when I buy anything online or enter into any kind of electronically-mediated contract I ALWAYS take screenshots because I don't trust the other party not to change quote details at their end or for the site to crash etc.

It doesn't have to be like that.

On my own website, I give customers a fully transcribed conversation with nothing ever changed or deleted. Every single word and discussion is saved and available to both parties, so customers can read it ALL any time they want. No one else in the UK does that. I convert car quotes into PDF so they are static info (not dynamic info that can be changed or altered). I show car pricing from different suppliers (anonymised) together, so customers can see the alternatives, clearly. I show different brands together so customers can compare across brands. Easy comparisons are what give the customers the confidence to make choices and decisions.

This stuff that treats customers like adults, not idiots... is so easy to do. If you want to.

It's completely because Hyundai management have sat round a boardroom table and asked themselves: "how can we PREVENT customers seeing competing dealer pricing on our cars?" that they have come up with this "solution". It really stinks IMHO. 

The real shame is that it stops the internet selling of their cars (which is what they reckon they want to achieve when they say "our customers are able to find all the information they could possibly need from the safety of their own homes.") But then they prevent it.

Edited by LINGsCARS

Like Ling really gives a fuck. :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, LINGsCARS said:

It doesn't have to be like that.

On my own website, I give customers a fully transcribed conversation with nothing ever changed or deleted. Every single word and discussion is saved and available to both parties, so customers can read it ALL any time they want. No one else in the UK does that. I convert car quotes into PDF so they are static info (not dynamic info that can be changed or altered). I show car pricing from different suppliers (anonymised) together, so customers can see the alternatives, clearly. I show different brands together so customers can compare across brands. Easy comparisons are what give the customers the confidence to make choices and decisions.

This stuff that treats customers like adults, not idiots... is so easy to do. If you want to.

It's completely because Hyundai management have sat round a boardroom table and asked themselves: "how can we PREVENT customers seeing competing dealer pricing on our cars?" that they have come up with this "solution". It really stinks IMHO. 

The real shame is that it stops the internet selling of their cars (which is what they reckon they want to achieve when they say "our customers are able to find all the information they could possibly need from the safety of their own homes.") But then they prevent it.

Well if I were you I wouldn't worry about Hyundai, I'd worry about your own business. Leasing, especially to SMEs and B2C (where I'm guessing a lot of your market sits), is going to take a real hammering over the next year or two.

Edited by Halfpenny