TangoVictor32

Blag your insurance down

Hi folks following my recent topic about my son's renewal he managed to get a premium for £1330!

The original renewal was £1900. He got another quote for 1600 and then finally 1400. Went back to his broker and 1330! 

Truth of the matter is, at renewals, guys get some quotes and then blag you got it even less. Your current broker will get it even lower. 

Play them at their game... Don't be a fool and stick to the renewal quote. Spend 2 days - it's boring I know but well worth it! 

They will say "this is the final price / best we can do" but they're lying and milking a fat premium off you. 

36 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Hi folks following my recent topic about my son's renewal he managed to get a premium for £1330!

The original renewal was £1900. He got another quote for 1600 and then finally 1400. Went back to his broker and 1330! 

Truth of the matter is, at renewals, guys get some quotes and then blag you got it even less. Your current broker will get it even lower. 

Play them at their game... Don't be a fool and stick to the renewal quote. Spend 2 days - it's boring I know but well worth it! 

They will say "this is the final price / best we can do" but they're lying and milking a fat premium off you. 

Mentioned something along those lines earlier  in the auto renewal thread 

who did you go with in the end or should say your son 

hope you and the family are all well and staying safe . 

Edited by Casper

27 minutes ago, Casper said:

Mentioned something along those lines earlier  in the auto renewal thread 

who did you go with in the end or should say your son 

hope you and the family are all well and staying safe . 

Another year with zenith. From 1900 to 1330. What a joke! 

27 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Another year with zenith. From 1900 to 1330. What a joke! 

You would think they would look after there loyal customers wouldn't you instead of giving the best deals to there new customers 

Very different experience to mine, last couple of years no matter how much I shop around my quote is always gone or take a few percent. 

Only thing I can think of is once you get maximum ncd the market has little left to give. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Could you share more of his details? Age, type of cover, stock, etc etc

8 hours ago, justina3 said:

Very different experience to mine, last couple of years no matter how much I shop around my quote is always give or take a few percent. 

Only thing I can think of is once you get maximum ncd the market has little left to give. 

+1.

Im guessing that not being able to buy and sell cars and driving on deserted roads should lower our premiums this year?

• Like 1

Any recommendations for brokers? I've been with Tradewise through Think insurance for a couple of years but I'm looking at £2700 to renew with 3 of us on there. Previous year to that was £1300 with policyplan (who weren't great to be honest) With 5 years NCB, hoping I can get this down a bit!

TIA

7 minutes ago, J.B said:

Any recommendations for brokers? I've been with Tradewise through Think insurance for a couple of years but I'm looking at £2700 to renew with 3 of us on there. Previous year to that was £1300 with policyplan (who weren't great to be honest) With 5 years NCB, hoping I can get this down a bit!

TIA

Try.towergate or give ashley at uk global a shout on here

You will find his details here he's very helpful 

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Casper said:

Try towergate or give ashley at uk global a shout on here

Thanks Casper, I will drop him an email :D

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, J.B said:

TIA

I’m with policy plan and a mate was, they’ve always been the cheapest for me but they are very hard work when it comes to a claim.

1 minute ago, Lakeside said:

I’m with policy plan and a mate was, they’ve always been the cheapest for me but they are very hard work when it comes to a claim.

They were a nightmare for me with documents and quibbling everything. At the time, I said I'd never use them again to be honest!

39 minutes ago, J.B said:

They were a nightmare for me with documents and quibbling everything. At the time, I said I'd never use them again to be honest!

Ahh yea documents were a nightmare aswell, sent them 3 times and they were still sending me letters saying I hadn’t sent them and threatening to cancel my policy.

22 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

Ahh yea documents were a nightmare aswell, sent them 3 times and they were still sending me letters saying I hadn’t sent them and threatening to cancel my policy.

Yeah they actually cancelled mine as they kept adding stuff I needed to send and ran the clock down, they wouldn't give me a single hour of leeway. Paid up front so cost me about a grand. Felt like a deliberate con to be honest  :angry:

10 minutes ago, J.B said:

Yeah they actually cancelled mine as they kept adding stuff I needed to send and ran the clock down, they wouldn't give me a single hour of leeway. Paid up front so cost me about a grand. Felt like a deliberate con to be honest  :angry:

I've just written a tale about offshore insurers similar to what you have just put but decided not to post it

I recommend a named name because it's an insurance policy ie you are looking for assurance in insurance more than just filling a legal duty

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.B said:

Apart from price mate how did you find think insurance in general out off interested I've had various policy's with them over the years and always found them ok but seen a few bad reviews and bits and pieces on here about the, me myself i cant fault them .

21 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Could you share more of his details? Age, type of cover, stock, etc etc

29,  7 vehicles upto £10k max value of one vehicle. No performance cover but standard 3 litre vehicles are covered 

11 hours ago, J.B said:

TIA

Think Insurance

Autonet

Clegg Gifford

Bollington 

Nash Warren 

BIS

Premier insurance brokers 

Aston lark / scott

As I said, if one company quotes you 2100 tell the next one it's 1935 that's how they will offer you less than 1900...carry on doing it... Play them like they play us. 

Like met says.... We're not driving let alone selling or buying.

I bloody bought a bike... Only driving i do is to the boring supermarket! 

5 hours ago, Casper said:

Apart from price mate how did you find think insurance in general out off interested I've had various policy's with them over the years and always found them ok but seen a few bad reviews and bits and pieces on here about the, me myself i cant fault them .

The jobsworth my lad spoke to said giving you mid access takes up to 4 weeks... We wait until first months direct debit comes out... Must be bloody joking!! 

Anyone looking to renew their insurance really needs to breathe down the neck of the rep constantly stating like a parrot (like they do to us) 

"the lock down will go on for 6 months and we cannot buy or sell (that's half term / life of the policy). The only driving we can do is to the supermarket. We're already paying rent and other costs and we may go under due to costs and no income" 

I believe the longer the lock down is the more the insurance will drop. Or it's a matter of time before media pick this up and insurers will be looked at very negatively. 

Do keep us posted guys on how well / bad you do. 

Edited by TangoVictor32

4 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

29,  7 vehicles upto £10k max value of one vehicle. No performance cover but standard 3 litre vehicles are covered 

Think Insurance

Autonet

Clegg Gifford

Bollington 

Nash Warren 

BIS

Premier insurance brokers 

Aston lark / scott

As I said, if one company quotes you 2100 tell the next one it's 1935 that's how they will offer you less than 1900...carry on doing it... Play them like they play us. 

Like met says.... We're not driving let alone selling or buying.

I bloody bought a bike... Only driving i do is to the boring supermarket! 

The jobsworth my lad spoke to said giving you mid access takes up to 4 weeks... We wait until first months direct debit comes out... Must be bloody joking!! 

Anyone looking to renew their insurance really needs to breathe down the neck of the rep constantly stating like a parrot (like they do to us) 

"the lock down will go on for 6 months and we cannot buy or sell (that's half term / life of the policy). The only driving we can do is to the supermarket. We're already paying rent and other costs and we may go under due to costs and no income" 

I believe the longer the lock down is the more the insurance will drop. Or it's a matter of time before media pick this up and insurers will be looked at very negatively. 

Do keep us posted guys on how well / bad you do. 

Bit of a joke that isn't it we the mid thing any policy's i had when them or do have I've paid them upfront though in these times and at renewal i think direct depot is the way go . 

21 hours ago, Casper said:

They've been fine, had very little call to speak them with in between renewals though, luckily no claims to deal with. They were quick to chase when one of the drivers license had lapsed, he was also moving house and had a HGV license (meaning a paper renewal only apparently) but they were decent about repeatedly extending the deadline by a week until it came so can't fault them really. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, J.B said:

They've been fine, had very little call to speak them with in between renewals though, luckily no claims to deal with. They were quick to chase when one of the drivers license had lapsed, he was also moving house and had a HGV license (meaning a paper renewal only apparently) but they were decent about repeatedly extending the deadline by a week until it came so can't fault them really. 

Thanks 

On 4/9/2020 at 9:55 AM, J.B said:

TIA

The motor trade team at Aston Lark will be happy to take a look at it for you. We have various exclusive Motor Trade Schemes aimed at all levels of Motor Traders (part-time, trading from home, trading full time from a commercial premise or traders working on classic vehicles).

Send me a message and I can get someone to call you Tuesday or alternatively please give us a call on 01732 872899. The whole team are working from home but are fully operational. 

On 4/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, New year revolutions...... said:

I've just written a tale about offshore insurers similar to what you have just put but decided not to post it

I recommend a named name because it's an insurance policy ie you are looking for assurance in insurance more than just filling a legal duty

Very good advice! There's been a few horror stories in the last few years and highly likely to continue in the next few years.

41 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

@John Cook - Aston Lark This is dangerously close to the non promotion rule. I’ll let this one slide but please adhere to the forum rules for suppliers. Thanks 

Out of interest James is it ok for us to recommend people we have had dealings with in the past from here I've dealt with Ashley for insurance questions after finding here and he's been very helpful 

its also very helpful to get supplier recommendations from other traders maybe an idea for the future to set up a suppliers guide on the forum where people can chat about that sort of thing and people like John and Ashley could offer there help and services 

but only asking as i genuinely wouldn't want to break any forum rules 

hope  you are well . 

Edited by Casper
  • Like 2

That’s fine. It’s just the forum isn’t supposed to be used to sell to dealers by suppliers. That’s what Car Dealer Magazine and advertising is for. We have to pay for this forum some how and if we let everyone advertise for free - not only would it annoy most users - but we wouldn’t have a business to be able to offer this forum. Hope that makes sense

• Thanks 1