Nick

Part Time Home Sellers - Manheim Trade account

How many of you guys on here are part time home dealers? Maybe holding stock from, lets say 1 to 5. And the burning question is do you sell? How many a month? Does it vary depending on time of the year. Are there months you don't sell anything?

Oh also, I have applied for a trade account at Manheim with all the correct documentation and have payed. Just wondering if any of you guys know how long they take to process it? I applied last Wed hoping 24-48 hours and it would be sorted as I want to attend my first buying auction next Tue. Been to a couple to suss things out.

Cheers,

Nick.

Anybody know how long it takes Mannheim to set up a trade account once I've sent all the paperwork? I did it online. So they had it straight away. 

when I set mine up I filled in the paperwork at the start of the sale and it was all sorted by the time I'd bought and came to pay. That was 10 years ago though

Cheers for the reply Phil. I though 48 hours would have been plenty of time for them. Oh well, I'll give them a bell tomorrow and see what's going on. 

It's been a while since I opened my Manheim account, I was with them back in the NCA days. But you are probably a victim of the Christmas post 'back up'. Call them on monday morning and ask if your account is 'live' and the number. I've always found Manheim back office to be very helpful, its a shame they don't have BCA's stock! lol

Just my opinion.......?

I did it online so no Christmas post problems. Yeah I agree that they r very helpful over the phone so will give them a bell in the morn. I'm not writing off bca either. One step at a time for me. Cheers. 

took about 3 weeks when i applied about 25 years ago,i remember because henry kissinger sent me a best of luck with your process card i still find henry easy to deal with:)

I did it online so no Christmas post problems. Yeah I agree that they r very helpful over the phone so will give them a bell in the morn. I'm not writing off bca either. One step at a time for me. Cheers. 

Problem with starting at BCA is that you have to "earn" your way to a decent trade account rather than 'buy it' as with Manheim. Which means, having to buy 12 cars to get on a gold card. That's 11 cars at what amounts to private buyers rates, which is a big "ouch". Gold card level is the minimum place to be with realistic fees and other 'perks' but its getting there that will cost you.

Just my opinion....?

I'm sorted Manheim had messed up and also for one with bca. I had better get buying :)

• Like 1

I cant believe they charge you to set up an account to buy cars from them! I don't recall ever paying to set up an account with them.

Well run auctions though and some of the most helpful staff I have encountered at any auction.

Manheim Shotts auction and SMA Kinross and SMA newcastle have the best staff I have dealt with.

staff are good in Washington as well, Leeds can be a bit hit and miss i think 

Is there a system in place like the more you spend the better rates you get ? ( anyone know?) i only buy about 20 a year at the moment but im sure i herd a guy at Leeds saying they were paying for a golf trip for him but he spent 2 mill last year or something

think my account cost £60 about ten years ago but you save more than that on your first car so not to bad

the whole idea of buying 12 cars before becoming a trader is pathetic.. id be giving at least a £100 more than the next man.. for that reason il never try until it changes

staff are good in Washington as well, Leeds can be a bit hit and miss i think

Is there a system in place like the more you spend the better rates you get ? ( anyone know?) i only buy about 20 a year at the moment but im sure i herd a guy at Leeds saying they were paying for a golf trip for him but he spent 2 mill last year or something

think my account cost £60 about ten years ago but you save more than that on your first car so not to bad

the whole idea of buying 12 cars before becoming a trader is pathetic.. id be giving at least a £100 more than the next man.. for that reason il never try until it changes

Manheim will only charge you if you fail to buy 12 cars in a year.

Just out of interest my local BCA makes everyone below gold card pay £500 deposit for a bidder number. Must be a pain if you are just starting out and fancy a couple of cars. You can't really keep running out to front office to queue up for a number, so that means you'd have to buy a 'block' of bidding numbers. So, for example 4 bidding numbers means sticking £2k on your debit card. With 2 sales a week and bearing in mind refunding your card if you dont buy, that money would choke up your bank account. I understand why they make private punters register to bid, but it sounds harsh for blue and silver card holders who have already had to declare their trade insurance and proper ID to get hit this way?

Reggaj to answer your question. Manheim charge £70 to set up a trade account. If you buy more than 12 cars in a year they won't charge the following year. With BCA they charge nothing and gave me a silver card to start. I asked them there silver card fees and they are very close to Manheim. 

Here is the mail from BCA, hope it helps.

As requested, please find some of the buyer’s fees below for silver card holders and some examples of the other levels. I am afraid the full lists are not published on the website, although I do hope this information will give you an idea of what to expect at the branch.

Hammer price                   Blue                       Silver                    Gold

£3,000                                   £414                       £279                       £223

£4,000                                   £441                       £287                       £231

£5,000                                   £465                       £292                       £240

£6,000                                   £488                       £296                       £245

£7.000                                   £511                       £300                       £251

I do hope this helps, but if there is anything further I can do please let me know.

I forgot to mention that obviously there are two Manheim trade accounts, 'basic trade' and 'national buyer', but the OP can upgrade when he meets the requirements. ;)

I forgot to mention that obviously there are two Manheim trade accounts, 'basic trade' and 'national buyer', but the OP can upgrade when he meets the requirements. ;)

Looks like Manheim have gone the same way as BCA and now offer a range of cards depending on your buying level, which probably makes more sense. Not sure how the  'buyers fees' compare as yet. Manheim have dropped the yearly subscription fee for first time set up.

so whats the benefit on having  a trade account with bca auction if any one can bid and win cars privately? 

so whats the benefit on having  a trade account with bca auction if any one can bid and win cars privately? 

Well, primarily a trade account means cheaper buyers fees as buying privately is vastly expensive. You'll get the v5 as opposed to being forced to register in your name

Nick,

I'm looking to set up a Manheim account, so your recent experience has been really helpful. One question though, If you're selling from home what utility bill did you use, as they ask for one with your trading name on? Or was just your home address ok?

hi guys im looking to buy a car from manheim tommorow it has no mot or v5 but its low mileage diesel audi a3 i dont have trade plates 

do i have to registir the car in my name to tax it any advice will be appreciated

On 16/04/2018 at 8:04 PM, khurum moughal said:

hi guys im looking to buy a car from manheim tommorow it has no mot or v5 but its low mileage diesel audi a3 i dont have trade plates 

do i have to registir the car in my name to tax it any advice will be appreciated

No, you just lean out of your front room window, shout out the VRM really loudly and the DVLA know the car belongs to you.