New year revolutions......

Getting tired of beans on toast

What’s wrong with beans on toast! Have you run out of lobster and caviar? :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

No but running short on toilet roll and air freshener:lol:

You’ll have to impose a one sheet maximum! 

Don't think the shops are too bad now  ? In saying that I'm only going on what I here on the phone only been to the wee local newsagents 

guess its pies and beans now the steaks have run out in the freezer 

Order delivery from Asda six days delivery slot but had 96% of what I ordered no way am I waiting in line for hours like a lamb to the slaughter 

1 minute ago, justina3 said:

Order delivery from Asda six days delivery slot but had 96% of what I ordered no way am I waiting in line for hours like a lamb to the slaughter 

Beans on toast for 5 days then ?

5 minutes ago, justina3 said:

And when it’s delivered there will be endless substitutions. You can’t help being a little bit cynical with how the supermarkets are playing us. 

43 minutes ago, metcars said:

how the supermarkets are playing us. 

Like an old fiddle! 

I said to ‘er indoors that after the initial week of panic the shelves would be restocked. Stock seems plentiful up here in the grim north, there are a few 20 minute queues outside some of the bigger supermarkets but that’s only because of the social distancing measures. I believe the manufacturers of sticky warning tape & Perspex screens are doing a roaring trade.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Like an old fiddle! 

I said to ‘er indoors that after the initial week of panic the shelves would be restocked. Stock seems plentiful up here in the grim north, there are a few 20 minute queues outside some of the bigger supermarkets but that’s only because of the social distancing measures. I believe the manufacturers of sticky warning tape & Perspex screens are doing a roaring trade.

Here in deepest east London it’s only the main supermarkets that have a queue. Aldi and Lidl are fine. I shop Saturday night just before they shut. But I’m only sitting in the car waiting while my daughter goes in. 

The supermarkets have it all their own way. Selling us what they want, when they want in the numbers they want and at a price they want. Profits are sitting nicely for them now?

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

local shops are open too guys ! support the small business ! my local butcher excepted ! notice in window,

"maybe back end of april, obviously getting worse, not risking it, thanks for your custom" :o

Ive been using my closest little local shop its just a small shop but the family that own it are and have been lovely . Keep toilets rolls hand wash etc for his regulars sold at normal price and asked if my elderly parents needed anything the one time I've been in  lately normally in most days and he called to see if any the family needed anything delivered .. . And were all ok .

9 minutes ago, Casper said:

Ive been using my closest little local shop its just a small shop but the family that own it are and have been lovely . Keep toilets rolls hand wash etc for his regulars sold at normal price and asked if my elderly parents needed anything the one time I've been in  lately normally in most days and he called to see if any the family needed anything delivered .. . And were all ok .

I always support local business

However I wont if their attitude is bad like being on the phone during a sales transaction and dropping change in my hand pre covid

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I always support local business

However I wont if their attitude is bad like being on the phone during a sales transaction and dropping change in my hand pre covid

Same i always try to unless as you say they are rude . And there is a few like that 

4 minutes ago, Casper said:

Same i always try to unless as you say they are rude . And there is a few like that 

I ban myself

I will go out of my way once they are  banned

I could go 1/4 mile for mots

But travel 5 miles

Attitude is everything

25 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I ban myself

I will go out of my way once they are  banned

I could go 1/4 mile for mots

But travel 5 miles

Attitude is everything

You sound like an older version of myself think ill turn into you in a few years 

I've done that too . Banned myself and barred myself out a local pub due to the landyladys attitude 

Edited by Casper

I’ve noticed a few corner shops shut. Also a large farm shop near me closed last week. I’m guessing it’s the wholesalers. But the cynic in me thinks the large supermarkets are squeezing out small shops from the supply chains. Creating ‘elbow room’ for themselves. Justified because apparently (after working a deal with Boris about panic buying which in reality was not) they are prioritising the elderly/vulnerable/NHS, nobody else is?

Next will probably be fuel supply?

My local shop said the cash and carry is running out of stock . He's struggling to get essential stuff ..

10 minutes ago, metcars said:

I’ve noticed a few corner shops shut. Also a large farm shop near me closed last week. I’m guessing it’s the wholesalers. But the cynic in me thinks the large supermarkets are squeezing out small shops from the supply chains. Creating ‘elbow room’ for themselves. Justified because apparently (after working a deal with Boris about panic buying which in reality was not) they are prioritising the elderly/vulnerable/NHS, nobody else is?

58 minutes ago, metcars said:

That wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. The big supermarkets are absolutely ruthless, as anyone who knows a small company who’s tried to get ‘on board’ will know. 

Recently I was told some of the producers of the goods positioned in the shelves at the aisle ends are charged handsomely for the privilege.

They’ll squeeze the pips on small suppliers until they squeal, the bargain-type shops that giveaway flyers tell their suppliers that their goods will be in the flyers & tell the same supplier they’re also paying for the privilege (+ also telling them to discount the items).

I know of someone who is in the supply chain of non-food products (I’m deliberately keeping this vague). You think we’ve got it bad in the car game? Everyone wants a slice from that pie, they’re making pennies per item that’s produced in large factories & then the retailers, apart from beating them down every so often for a promotion then will stoop to almost anything to wring one penny per item out of the deal.

Forget the smiley faces on the adverts, all ‘customer service is king’ B/S and the current adverts selflessly opening at additional cost to themselves to feed the nation. It’s the suppliers who take the punches in their game.

• Like 1

Best thing we have today is the internet

How much?

I just go online and compare

Cartels are still out there but theres ways round them now

We live in a much better age plague or no plagues 

Supermarkets got a real nice kick up the bum with lidl and aldi

All this baloney now of the bigv4 taking on extra staff,its only happening because they cut staffing levels back so far they are literally  killing their workers

Me I will stay with lidl and aldi they might be German but they care more and pay their staff more than the minimum wage

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BHM said:

That wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. The big supermarkets are absolutely ruthless, as anyone who knows a small company who’s tried to get ‘on board’ will know. 

Recently I was told some of the producers of the goods positioned in the shelves at the aisle ends are charged handsomely for the privilege.

They’ll squeeze the pips on small suppliers until they squeal, the bargain-type shops that giveaway flyers tell their suppliers that their goods will be in the flyers & tell the same supplier they’re also paying for the privilege (+ also telling them to discount the items).

I know of someone who is in the supply chain of non-food products (I’m deliberately keeping this vague). You think we’ve got it bad in the car game? Everyone wants a slice from that pie, they’re making pennies per item that’s produced in large factories & then the retailers, apart from beating them down every so often for a promotion then will stoop to almost anything to wring one penny per item out of the deal.

Forget the smiley faces on the adverts, all ‘customer service is king’ B/S and the current adverts selflessly opening at additional cost to themselves to feed the nation. It’s the suppliers who take the punches in their game.

Shelf fees.It was Tesco who got caught taking suppliers ‘ shelf fees’ for the next financial year in advance and then recorded them to artificially increase their profit to maintain their share price and directors bonuses.Directors were fired,the shares then plummeted and we still hold quite a few standing about £3.50........another fine mess !