Grantlfc81

Free rent from my landlord

8 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Let's say you work from a 2000 square foot unit

Theres 10 0f them

The landlord to stop tenants defaulting on rates as they often do sets up 10 ltd companies filed accounts and thus is exempt from business rates?

No point having a go at me I was just stating what the council told me I have several empty commercial buildings when I asked the question I was told it needed to be a clear retail property how could I file accounts to show that ? Make up sales and incur a tax bill ? Thst doesn’t make much sense really does it. 

I have no doubt that plenty of businesses will be refused and plenty will manage to pull the wool over the council eyes its to be expected however when the dust settles I would be waiting for a knock on the door so to speak. 

9 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Let's say you work from a 2000 square foot unit

Theres 10 0f them

The landlord to stop tenants defaulting on rates as they often do sets up 10 ltd companies filed accounts and thus is exempt from business rates?

I don’t understand what you mean.If a property is tenanted and not vacant,the tenant and not the landlord is liable for the  business rates.You have to normally prove your property is open to the public on a daily basis to get relief.We have one which we have been using for storage of vehicles but that does not qualify.Also,incorporating and operating / liquidating 10 ltd companies might be more expensive than paying the business rates.

2 hours ago, justina3 said:

No point having a go at me I was just stating what the council told me I have several empty commercial buildings when I asked the question I was told it needed to be a clear retail property how could I file accounts to show that ? Make up sales and incur a tax bill ? Thst doesn’t make much sense really does it. 

I have no doubt that plenty of businesses will be refused and plenty will manage to pull the wool over the council eyes its to be expected however when the dust settles I would be waiting for a knock on the door so to speak. 

Good morning

I wasnt having a go at you whatsoever

I was pointing out that landlords like farmers are rarely if ever altruistic

If we go back in time all units attracted rates irrespective of size then about 10 years ago if under a certain size they enjoyed free rates however if they became empty the landlord became liable,this wasnt a problem with small units as just like in cars theres a bum for every unit,however its often the case these tenants have bright ideas but really should have kept to the day job because they fail leave loads of crap behind and didn't pay their rates

Bigger units ie ones where the rates were over I think £12500 a year before taper relief came out are always difficult to let because of their physical size so what some landlords did after the 08 crash was to let them on a peppercorn rent but tenant paid the large rates billmthis works fine till tenant struggles again

So landlords resorted to 2 things,one was to RIP the buildings down without planning consent,RIP the roofs off or worse arson them

Some started up shell ltd companies and named them as tenants to claim small business relief,do the math 

Another consideration is sub letting a large say mill into easy in easy out units,it would be impossible to keep track of these for rates so the landlord will pay the yearly bill of say £25,000 and then split this between all units plus a bit for those that would be empty during the year at any time

I might have some of this wrong I am not a landlord but certainly if I were I would be abreast of the current legislation at any time,for instance buildings on farm land were and I believe still are a special case

Thank you for reading 

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

I don’t understand what you mean.If a property is tenanted and not vacant,the tenant and not the landlord is liable for the  business rates.You have to normally prove your property is open to the public on a daily basis to get relief.We have one which we have been using for storage of vehicles but that does not qualify.Also,incorporating and operating / liquidating 10 ltd companies might be more expensive than paying the business rates.

Please read my post below and we are not talking  support for retail hospitality and leisure,well I'm not

48 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Good morning

I wasnt having a go at you whatsoever

I was pointing out that landlords like farmers are rarely if ever altruistic

If we go back in time all units attracted rates irrespective of size then about 10 years ago if under a certain size they enjoyed free rates however if they became empty the landlord became liable,this wasnt a problem with small units as just like in cars theres a bum for every unit,however its often the case these tenants have bright ideas but really should have kept to the day job because they fail leave loads of crap behind and didn't pay their rates

Bigger units ie ones where the rates were over I think £12500 a year before taper relief came out are always difficult to let because of their physical size so what some landlords did after the 08 crash was to let them on a peppercorn rent but tenant paid the large rates billmthis works fine till tenant struggles again

So landlords resorted to 2 things,one was to RIP the buildings down without planning consent,RIP the roofs off or worse arson them

Some started up shell ltd companies and named them as tenants to claim small business relief,do the math 

Another consideration is sub letting a large say mill into easy in easy out units,it would be impossible to keep track of these for rates so the landlord will pay the yearly bill of say £25,000 and then split this between all units plus a bit for those that would be empty during the year at any time

I might have some of this wrong I am not a landlord but certainly if I were I would be abreast of the current legislation at any time,for instance buildings on farm land were and I believe still are a special case

Thank you for reading 

Please read my post below and we are not talking  support for retail hospitality and leisure,well I'm not

Thank you,I get it but it cannot be as easy as that.Most councils will know all the tricks.Ltd companies need a director and it would not work if it was a family member or connected party.Splitting is a good idea but then it can take a year for a council to inspect the property,see the tenants and award ‘ discretionary’ relief.That is what our council has told me and they were already awhere that our property was not in daily use and open to the public.They must have someone driving around spotting empty or closed up commercial property.BTW I can’t rip the roof off ours,it cost 40 grand 6 years ago but thank you anyway.

On 4/1/2020 at 4:26 PM, Grantlfc81 said:

My landlord has given us free rent for the foreseeable future at £3500 p/m

I hope you guys are  Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin getting some kind of relief from understanding landlords.... this virus is going to be here for a minimum of 6 months from a good source.

i will sleep better tonight that’s for sure 

Will you also get the Governement grant Grant :lol:

Edited by zaekaleem

Thank fully my landlord is very understanding and he has also allowed me to have a holiday period on my rent 

Thank fully my landlord is very understanding and he has also allowed me to have a holiday period on my rent 

Thank fully my landlord is very understanding and he has also allowed me to have a holiday period on my rent.