umesh

We need your help.. please :)

The IMDA have today started a petition to the government to request for Furlough Leave to include Salespeople’s Commissions within 80% payment offer, as we know a lot of sales staff wages are heavily bias towards commission and we feel this is unfair and want to help all the sales staff.

If you could please sign the petition.

Thanks

Umesh 

Edited by umesh

Are you sure commission is not involved in the total income 80% calculation.Someone told me it was.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Are you sure commission is not involved in the total income 80% calculation.Someone told me it was.

Commission definately not included, as we know a lot of sales people are probably on circa £12000 PA ( From what I'm hearing) so regardless of how much they earn in commission the gov only looks at the basic pay and will only pay 80% of the basic £800 !

4 minutes ago, umesh said:

Commission definately not included, as we know a lot of sales people are probably on circa £12000 PA ( From what I'm hearing) so regardless of how much they earn in commission the gov only looks at the basic pay and will only pay 80% of the basic £800 !

I think this is asking too much I'm afraid

13 hours ago, C B said:

Unless of course they have half an hour spare between sourcing ventilators and building hospitals and morgues. 

:lol::lol: How right you are! 

14 hours ago, umesh said:

The IMDA have today started a petition to the government to request for Furlough Leave to include Salespeople’s Commissions within 80% payment offer, as we know a lot of sales staff wages are heavily bias towards commission and we feel this is unfair and want to help all the sales staff.

If you could please sign the petition.

Thanks

Umesh 

Seriously? Poor salespeople struggling by on £12K before commission. How much sympathy do you honestly think you’re going to get from millions of shop workers and zero hour contracted staff? 

Bearing in mind the pandemic that’s sweeping the world, are you seriously suggesting the star seller at a Land Rover dealership, who’s taken home an £80K user for the next few weeks, is topped up to their usual level? If so I’ll put this in easy to understand terms; You are an idiot.

I think you’ve seriously misjudged the mood of the nation and the seriousness of current world events. If some have to struggle by on £800pm HARD LUCK - there are people dying. You need to give your head a shake.

Edited by BHM
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

There’s also people getting nothing, let alone £800 per month. 

• Like 1

Good luck with it Anyway umesh 

Edited by Casper

I am sorry, I also disagree. 

Personally, I will get nothing as I fall in the 20% category. That said, the government has my full respect, I think they are doing an amazing job in pressing times. You cannot please all of the people all of the time and even if this bankrupts me, people have lost far more.

If these people get £800, it is fair to assume their other half will get at least the same or if they earn benefit due to a number of issues or young children, they remain unaffected.

10 hours ago, Del Boy said:

There’s also people getting nothing, let alone £800 per month. 

Like myself, my limited company at my showroom has been trading less than a year due to coming away from a partnership... therefore I get nothing! £800 a month would be welcomed 

34 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

Like myself, my limited company at my showroom has been trading less than a year due to coming away from a partnership... therefore I get nothing! £800 a month would be welcomed 

It sucks for a lot of us. Me included (have been trading at this premises since Jan 2013.) Ltd Co etc so no help for us. Except hopefully the rates grant, but I’m still prepared for a curve ball on that too. 

I was brought up to prepare for the worst and save where you can, so not beans on toast just yet, but never say never!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was talking to my Dad (on the phone) last night. He starting telling me (he used to run several businesses) that one needs to plan for lack of sales, build reserves etc. He is right of course, generally speaking but then I reminded him.

My turnover is anywhere between £50k and £150k per month.

My monthly costs are between £10-15k per month (fixed costs + whatever stock funding is due payment). This is the nett margin (from the metal) I need from the turnover to pay myself a wage (to pay bills at home, as if I was employed), my valeter a wage, rent, insurance, advertising, stock fund capital repayments. Most months it is manageable, tight but doable.

I told him I have 3 months worth of reserves to cover zero sales for the same period, explaining when your fixed costs are so high, there is only so many months money I can tuck away for a rainy day.

I think it opened his eyes a little to how cash flow dependant this business is.

I have no doubt that I have enough reserves to get through the initial lock-down but when I start trading again, I will be so close to the wire that the enjoyment will be completely gone, living in fear as to whether today is the last day.

I still say, well done to the government, NHS and everyone else trying to resolve this terrible situation. I will be the last to complain, even if this crisis takes all my money because there is far, far worse situations. I am sat in a warm house, large garden, only one adjoining neigbour, recently installed Sky TV, a great girl friend who is like my best mate, my border collie and a few months money to live off (for now). I am also fortunate that my kids have grown up and have their own houses (and children) and are safe and well. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to entertain a couple of bored kids. Like I say, it would be wrong of me to complain when people are losing the battle.

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

Umesh and the IMDA,

This is SO wrong. I'm incensed. This petition is pathetic. Your Motor Dealer firms should pay decent salaries in the first place, not pay a pittance & then expect the Government (tax payer) to bail them out as a special case. I pay decent salaries... why don't IMDA firms? Disgraceful begging in these times. Get a backbone, not begging bowl.

You think I'm in a better position to support my own staff? I've liquidated assets, I'm selling my farm, vehicles, even the TVs that line my office walls, I've tipped in an ISA. I was homeworking my staff 2 weeks before anyone else. I'm Chinese, I saw this coming. My parents have been confined for nearly 3-months, now. I really object to this tin-rattling begging of the motor industry as a special case. Car salesmen aren't in the line of danger with covid. Car salesmen are sitting at home with their feet up and a beer, watching TV, FFS, watching the NHS staff who are in the line of danger, as if they are watching an episode of Casualty. Is tea ready, love?

I've got a niece who is a Paramedic who is showing Covid symtoms, because she has no PPE and is putting herself in danger. Where is her extra "boo-hoo" money?

Car employers should assist their own employees if the employees have hardship (maybe by selling assets like I am to raise cash), not demand more than other workers are getting from the taxpayer.

Exactly, it's hard. I know it's hard. I'm selling my home to stay cash rich in this crisis! But I'm not begging the taxpayer for more cash. Really, you IMDA lot need to look in a mirror. You are car salesmen, not key workers putting their lives on the line in crap PPE and saving lives while killing yourselves. Get a grip. I'm not being personal, here, it's just that petition stinks.

We are all in this together...the country, not the motor trade. The Government is doing a wonderful business support job. They's given grants to businesses, guaranteed loans, removed business rates, and given a temporary suspension of "wrongful trading" rules for company directors to remove the threat of personal liability during the pandemic, as well as subsidising 80% of worker's salaries. Unheard of support... but just because car firms have created their own mini-problem because they are too tight/greedy to pay reasonable salaries (and want to save on sick pay, pension contributions, redundancy payments, payroll liabilities etc etc), this is NOT the Government's issue. And because car salesmen are so weak they meekly accept this crap salary system, is NOT the Government's issue, either.

If this issue needs solving, car firms should solve this, with their own money. I want the Government supporting key workers, building hospitals and saving lives, not supporting car firms who underpay their own workers. many things will change due to this pandemic, and this crap salary system should be one of them.

I have pledged my staff to pay additional top-up cash amounts over the 80% furlough, and my staff get good, full salaries to begin with! Not motor industry joke salaries. But, I want to look after them! Other firms are doing more, too. Daksh at Marshalls has said he will pay 90% on furlough. That is the kind of support people need, not a begging bowl to the Government. 

And stop dragging other industries into this. 

I'm ashamed to listen to this begging crap from the motor industry. Grow a backbone, get a grip, pay your workers some decent money and stop rattling cans at the taxpayer.

And car salesmen... you are not innocent in this, either. Where are your savings? Why have you let this situation become so critical? You need to take some personal responsibility here in accepting this state of affairs and think of others in far worse positions, not yourselves. There are other mechanisms to help you... mortgage holidays, no evictions, Universal Credit. Get on with it.

Can you tell I'm annoyed? 

...AND DON'T CATCH THE VIRUS! Stay well.

Ling

LINGsCARS

Edited by LINGsCARS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Food for thought: 

The IMDA sought help on this forum to top up bonuses merely hours after the govt announced there had been 260 deaths in the preceding 24 hours. 

I wonder what drum they’ll be banging tonight after the latest death toll is announced. 

I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED. 

• Like 1

If IMDA think that this will help them be taken seriously as the voice of the motor trade and a credible lobby they are mistaken. Withdraw the petition and make some face masks instead?

6 minutes ago, BHM said:

Food for thought: 

The IMDA sought help on this forum to top up bonuses merely hours after the govt announced there had been 260 deaths in the preceding 24 hours. 

I wonder what drum they’ll be banging tonight after the latest death toll is announced. 

I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED. 

17 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Very well said.

22 minutes ago, LINGsCARS said:

Umesh and the IMDA,

This is SO wrong. I'm incensed. This petition is pathetic. Your Motor Dealer firms should pay decent salaries in the first place, not pay a pittance & then expect the Government (tax payer) to bail them out as a special case. I pay decent salaries... why don't IMDA firms? Disgraceful begging in these times. Get a backbone, not begging bowl.

You think I'm in a better position to support my own staff? I've liquidated assets, I'm selling my farm, vehicles, even the TVs that line my office walls, I've tipped in an ISA. I was homeworking my staff 2 weeks before anyone else. I'm Chinese, I saw this coming. My parents have been confined for nearly 3-months, now. I really object to this tin-rattling begging of the motor industry as a special case. Car salesmen aren't in the line of danger with covid. Car salesmen are sitting at home with their feet up and a beer, watching TV, FFS, watching the NHS staff who are in the line of danger, as if they are watching an episode of Casualty. Is tea ready, love?

I've got a niece who is a Paramedic who is showing Covid symtoms, because she has no PPE and is putting herself in danger. Where is her extra "boo-hoo" money?

Car employers should assist their own employees if the employees have hardship (maybe by selling assets like I am to raise cash), not demand more than other workers are getting from the taxpayer.

Exactly, it's hard. I know it's hard. I'm selling my home to stay cash rich in this crisis! But I'm not begging the taxpayer for more cash. Really, you IMDA lot need to look in a mirror. You are car salesmen, not key workers putting their lives on the line in crap PPE and saving lives while killing yourselves. Get a grip. I'm not being personal, here, it's just that petition stinks.

We are all in this together...the country, not the motor trade. The Government is doing a wonderful business support job. They's given grants to businesses, guaranteed loans, removed business rates, and given a temporary suspension of "wrongful trading" rules for company directors to remove the threat of personal liability during the pandemic, as well as subsidising 80% of worker's salaries. Unheard of support... but just because car firms have created their own mini-problem because they are too tight/greedy to pay reasonable salaries (and want to save on sick pay, pension contributions, redundancy payments, payroll liabilities etc etc), this is NOT the Government's issue. And because car salesmen are so weak they meekly accept this crap salary system, is NOT the Government's issue, either.

If this issue needs solving, car firms should solve this, with their own money. I want the Government supporting key workers, building hospitals and saving lives, not supporting car firms who underpay their own workers. many things will change due to this pandemic, and this crap salary system should be one of them.

I have pledged my staff to pay additional top-up cash amounts over the 80% furlough, and my staff get good, full salaries to begin with! Not motor industry joke salaries. But, I want to look after them! Other firms are doing more, too. Daksh at Marshalls has said he will pay 90% on furlough. That is the kind of support people need, not a begging bowl to the Government. 

And stop dragging other industries into this. 

I'm ashamed to listen to this begging crap from the motor industry. Grow a backbone, get a grip, pay your workers some decent money and stop rattling cans at the taxpayer.

And car salesmen... you are not innocent in this, either. Where are your savings? Why have you let this situation become so critical? You need to take some personal responsibility here in accepting this state of affairs and think of others in far worse positions, not yourselves. There are other mechanisms to help you... mortgage holidays, no evictions, Universal Credit. Get on with it.

Can you tell I'm annoyed? 

...AND DON'T CATCH THE VIRUS! Stay well.

Ling

LINGsCARS

May i take this opportunity to say may yourself and family's all stay safe during such difficult times both in business but more importantly in health .     

4 minutes ago, metcars said:

If IMDA think that this will help them be taken seriously as the voice of the motor trade and a credible lobby they are mistaken. Withdraw the petition and make some face masks instead?

I extend the same to your met cars may you and all your friends and family members stay safe in both health and business . 

Edited by Casper

I notice Umesh is usually the one to announce any IMDA news, is he the CDM rep? I’m not being salty, a genuine question?

48 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I was talking to my Dad (on the phone) last night. He starting telling me (he used to run several businesses) that one needs to plan for lack of sales, build reserves etc. He is right of course, generally speaking but then I reminded him.

My turnover is anywhere between £50k and £150k per month.

My monthly costs are between £10-15k per month (fixed costs + whatever stock funding is due payment). This is the nett margin (from the metal) I need from the turnover to pay myself a wage (to pay bills at home, as if I was employed), my valeter a wage, rent, insurance, advertising, stock fund capital repayments. Most months it is manageable, tight but doable.

I told him I have 3 months worth of reserves to cover zero sales for the same period, explaining when your fixed costs are so high, there is only so many months money I can tuck away for a rainy day.

I think it opened his eyes a little to how cash flow dependant this business is.

I have no doubt that I have enough reserves to get through the initial lock-down but when I start trading again, I will be so close to the wire that the enjoyment will be completely gone, living in fear as to whether today is the last day.

I still say, well done to the government, NHS and everyone else trying to resolve this terrible situation. I will be the last to complain, even if this crisis takes all my money because there is far, far worse situations. I am sat in a warm house, large garden, only one adjoining neigbour, recently installed Sky TV, a great girl friend who is like my best mate, my border collie and a few months money to live off (for now). I am also fortunate that my kids have grown up and have their own houses (and children) and are safe and well. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to entertain a couple of bored kids. Like I say, it would be wrong of me to complain when people are losing the battle.

Well said mate. Nice post. Maybe our vague idea we’ve been throwing around about working from home in the future, my come sooner than we envisaged worse (ish) way. 

• Like 1

Just now, NOACROSS said:

Well said mate. Nice post. Maybe our vague idea we’ve been throwing around about working from home in the future, my come sooner than we envisaged worse (ish) way. 

I had started that process (in theory but very realistic) until this crisis hit with a target date of September 2021 (the date of my 3 year breakout clause from the lease).

We had identified a potentially suitable property, a big ex-farm house of which most the land/barns have long since been sold off for development but still retains a decent plot of about 1.5 acres, just off a main road (easy to find) and an existing large outbuilding which could be redeveloped (STPP) to house around 15-20 cars.

At the moment it is a pipe dream.

The only thing that goes through my mind (bearing in mind that to fund this purchase would be existing equity plus a large mortgage equal to my current mortgage + my unit rent costs).

What happens if I fail to obtain planning permission? Or what if I "wing it" then get shut down.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I had started that process (in theory but very realistic) until this crisis hit with a target date of September 2021 (the date of my 3 year breakout clause from the lease).

We had identified a potentially suitable property, a big ex-farm house of which most the land/barns have long since been sold off for development but still retains a decent plot of about 1.5 acres, just off a main road (easy to find) and an existing large outbuilding which could be redeveloped (STPP) to house around 15-20 cars.

At the moment it is a pipe dream.

The only thing that goes through my mind (bearing in mind that to fund this purchase would be existing equity plus a large mortgage equal to my current mortgage + my unit rent costs).

What happens if I fail to obtain planning permission? Or what if I "wing it" then get shut down.

I think (unqualified opinion) that working from home will become even more acceptable after the crisis and, necessary for many. 

Much to my wife’s annoyance, just before lockdown, we had four work cars on the drive at home and one in the road. I’ve been washing and tinkering with them and our three personal vehicles on the drive/in the garage. Neighbours have been waving and saying high to me and don’t seem bothered, plus they know what I do/maybe did, for a living. . If only they knew the likely future :o)

How many can you get at home now Mark?

Your dream property might be loads cheaper anyway soon mate(s). 

Edited by NOACROSS

6 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I think (unqualified opinion) that working from home will become even more acceptable after the crisis and, necessary for many. 

Much to my wife’s annoyance, just before lockdown, we had four work cars on the drive at home and one in the road. I’ve been washing and tinkering with them and our three personal vehicles on the drive/in the garage. Neighbours have been waving and saying high to me and don’t seem bothered, plus they know what I do/maybe did, for a living. . If only they knew the likely future :o)

Firstly Stay safe and take care during these difficult times NOACROSS  and i extend that to your family and friends 

as you say it will affect the property prices and i also think many will work from home also i think it you get on with your neighbours i dont think they mind to much ive always been considerate to them at my last properties and they never bothered if a car was parked there or was working on it etc . 

Take care  

Just now, NOACROSS said:

I can currently get 12 on the driveway/garage but with some works, that number could go way up depending on how much garden we want to sacrifice.

Just now, NOACROSS said:

But so will the one I would be selling, so it is all relative.

I just love the idea of having a proper outdoor space with no immediate neighbours and a seperate office/unit away from the main house but within the same grounds to capitalise on anti social hours without inconveniencing myself.

Would not your current residence be more desirable for most people to buy (bigger audience) than the one you want to buy?

12. Wow. Drive envy. ;o)

I can see the thread now...who’s gonna start it?

11 minutes ago, Casper said:

Firstly Stay safe and take care during these difficult times NOACROSS  and i extend that to your family and friends 

as you say it will affect the property prices and i also think many will work from home also i think it you get on with your neighbours i dont think they mind to much ive always been considerate to them at my last properties and they never bothered if a car was parked there or was working on it etc . 

Take care  

Cheers mate. You too. (I would like if I could or put a thumbs up thing if I knew how to do it on here.) :o)

• Like 1