James Baggott

Marshall Motor Group's Daksh Gupta chats on video to Car Dealer Mag

If you missed today's Car Dealer Live interview you can watch it back below - Daksh Gupta from Marshalls was very open and had some incredibly interesting things to say about the business right now.

Sorry you have to put up with my bumbling too, but someone has to do it...

We're doing these live interviews every weekday at midday on our website and YouTube channel. If you subscribe by clicking subscribe on our YouTube channel you'll get an alert when we're broadcasting.

Let me know who you'd like me to try and get on the show too. Any ideas or intros welcomed!

Hope you enjoy... and let me know what you think.

Very good, covered a great deal, makes you consider if your own plans match, [ a few less million here ! ] looked in the past month, this month, how things have been changing hourly this week, and, thankyou for asking about the future, looking forward to the upcoming ones.

Edited by have a word with the wife
  • Like 1

He knows the franchise job inside out.The directors of Lookers could not do any better than tempt him with a big parachute deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trade vet said:

He knows the franchise job inside out.The directors of Lookers could not do any better than tempt him with a big parachute deal.

There a few lookers showrooms sitting empty infact there a few large showrooms sitting empty praying i don't see more with current situation though i fear it will close many repair garage and car sales business as well as many other business 

i really hope everyone here survives and comes back from it 

Edited by Casper

11 minutes ago, umesh said:

Great interview and great insight, Daksh is always very open and good to listen to.

The eye opener for me was 0.8% profit vs. 10% operating costs.

Very interesting and what a business. Nice bloke too, glad I have bought a few of their swappers in.

11 hours ago, Casper said:

There a few lookers showrooms sitting empty infact there a few large showrooms sitting empty praying i don't see more with current situation though i fear it will close many repair garage and car sales business as well as many other business 

i really hope everyone here survives and comes back from it 

There are empty big franchise showrooms availible everywhere,I have never seen so many.The best franchise dealership premises in our area is now empty,you could not wish for a better pitch.Is there any wonder,as Mr Gupta says the average net profit of late has been 0.8% and its going to get a lot worse.

13 minutes ago, trade vet said:

There are empty big franchise showrooms availible everywhere,I have never seen so many.The best franchise dealership premises in our area is now empty,you could not wish for a better pitch.Is there any wonder,as Mr Gupta says the average net profit of late has been 0.8% and its going to get a lot worse.

Did you ever manage to sell or let your place Ian?

4 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Did you ever manage to sell or let your place Ian?

Hi Mark

No not yet,I have 2 potential good long term tenants.One for a Kwik Fit type and MOT and accessories and another an existing kitchen and bedroom company who want to share it with a tile supplier who have other outlets.I have had several car dealers wanting it but they have been unable to convince me that they have or will make any money.When this is all over I hope I am still around to restart negotiations.

1 minute ago, trade vet said:

Hi Mark

No not yet,I have 2 potential good long term tenants.One for a Kwik Fit type and MOT and accessories and another an existing kitchen and bedroom company who want to share it with a tile supplier who have other outlets.I have had several car dealers wanting it but they have been unable to convince me that they have or will make any money.When this is all over I hope I am still around to restart negotiations.

I would be looking at a "big group" Kwik Fit for example is a good one. Rent paid on time (COVID 19 aside) and no concerns about upkeep, or midnight flits.

Daksh Gupta’s comment about one year’s profit being one month’s operating costs rams home how bad this will hit the big boys.

How refreshing to hear a major player taking in such forthright & straightforward manner. Can you imagine such an interview with a couple of the auction houses finest & a city analyst?

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Mark

I obviously don’t need to point this out to you but if I had a unit to let I’d have absolutely f.a. to do with letting it to this trade.

I bought my current house about 4 years ago so I can accurately note the machinations of the local traders over 4 years. If I either pointed to any number of particular pitch locations OR a number of particular people I can honestly say MANY pitches have had 2 or 3 changes of business tenant AND many of the people in this trade have had 2 or 3 different locations and/or different trading names. Quite frankly this industry attracts some of the biggest fly by night bullshitters going.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BHM said:

Daksh Gupta’s comment about one year’s profit being one month’s operating costs rams home how bad this will hit the big boys.

How refreshing to hear a major player taking in such forthright & straightforward manner. Can you imagine such an interview with a couple of the auction houses finest & a city analyst?

I obviously don’t need to point this out to you but if I had a unit to let I’d have absolutely f.a. to do with letting it to this trade.

I bought my current house about 4 years ago so I can accurately note the machinations of the local traders over 4 years. If I either pointed to any number of particular pitch locations OR a number of particular people I can honestly say MANY pitches have had 2 or 3 changes of business tenant AND many of the people in this trade have had 2 or 3 different locations and/or different trading names. Quite frankly this industry attracts some of the biggest fly by night bullshitters going.

Same here the car accessory shop is a now a Chinese takeaway and what was one of the major tyre shops mot places is now a farm foods

58 minutes ago, BHM said:

I obviously don’t need to point this out to you but if I had a unit to let I’d have absolutely f.a. to do with letting it to this trade.. Quite frankly this industry attracts some of the biggest fly by night bullshitters going.

In one

31 minutes ago, Casper said:

Same here the car accessory shop is a now a Chinese takeaway and what was one of the major tyre shops mot places is now a farm foods

Apart from large main dealer sites the only units/pitches around here with the same tenants I can count on the fingers of one hand, and two of them are owner operators. That says it all to me about this industry - almost EVERY pitch I’m aware of for miles has involved either numerous tenants and/or changes of trading name. 

2 hours ago, umesh said:

Great interview and great insight, Daksh is always very open and good to listen to.

Glad you enjoyed Umesh - look forward to chatting to you on the show in a couple of weeks! 

And if you're interested in who is coming up next over the next few weeks on the show I've published a schedule here

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/car-dealer-live-schedule/188912

When you see the rent and rates being charged on these huge vacant dealership premises,they must be a considerable drain on the dealer groups who hold the leases.If you were daft enough and could afford to,you could probably negotiate a huge lump sum payment from the lease holders to take one on.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Apart from large main dealer sites the only units/pitches around here with the same tenants I can count on the fingers of one hand, and two of them are owner operators. That says it all to me about this industry - almost EVERY pitch I’m aware of for miles has involved either numerous tenants and/or changes of trading name. 

:) much the same round these parts also seeing lots coming on the business pages for sale even the closest halfords auto-centre was up for let there well the premises 

This We had a very small issue with Marshall recently that was resolved instantly once it was brought to Mr. Guptas attention. Nice to see that no matter how successful some people are, they still have time to take care of the little things that make a difference.

• Like 1