have a word with the wife

MOTs for cars, vans and motorcycles / latest

15 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

why happy days ? not keeping up to the 12 months will look bad in any future resale value surely ?

99.9% of cars will have an MoT history with an 18 month gap around the year 2020, I think it will be a non-issue.

23 minutes ago, Paul C said:

99.9% of cars will have an MoT history with an 18 month gap around the year 2020, I think it will be a non-issue.

Really?

Just now, Thestalker said:

Really?

Its an 18 month test instead of a 12 month one if you add the 6 month extension thats his point 

20 hours ago, Paul C said:

Won't it be approx 50% of cars? The ones where the mot was due to expire between April and September?

Everthing that is due an mot before and after will need testing as normal?

15 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Won't it be approx 50% of cars? The ones where the mot was due to expire between April and September?

Everthing that is due an mot before and after will need testing as normal?

It a 6 months extension.but lasts up to year . Though i was reading an article in car mechanics magazine that tht may change at short notice so effectively from the 30th mar to 30th mar 2021 all cars have an 18 month mot  as it stands

Edited by Casper

2 minutes ago, Casper said:

It a 6 months extension.but lasts up to year . Though i was reading an article in car mechanics magazine that tht may change at short notice so effectively from the 30th mar to 30th mar 2021 all cars have an 18 month mot  as it stands

Not sure if I am being a bit thick here, if it lasts for 12 months, won't the 6 month extension mean that your mot will expire during the 12 month period that the extension is valid for?

Will you then get another 6 month extension? That seems a bit pointless.

Published on 25th March 2020: 

"Your car, van or motorcycle’s MOT expiry date will be extended by 6 months if it’s due on or after 30 March 2020"

What happened was, a small fraction of vehicles with an MoT due 25-30th March HAD TO get an MoT pretty damn quick, before all the MoT places shut up shop (they could have stayed open but hardly any of them did/are doing), otherwise it would leave them without a valid MoT. 

If your vehicle had an MoT eg 1st June 2020, it would get the 6 month extension to 1st December. If it had an MoT to 28th Feb 2021; it will extend to 28th Aug 2021. etc. I guess they did this to prevent a "doubling of cars needing an MoT" when garages were obligated to re-open, around 30th September. a 6 month pause then restart, if you like.

Of course, what its effect is that MoT stations no longer have any commercial incentive to stay open and do MoTs until 30th Sept, because the only ones which would need it are those cars whose MoT had expired previous to 30th March but now need to get back onto the road.

A case of "if you had it, you don't need it; but if you didn't have it and need it you can't get it".

58 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Not sure if I am being a bit thick here, if it lasts for 12 months, won't the 6 month extension mean that your mot will expire during the 12 month period that the extension is valid for?

Will you then get another 6 month extension? That seems a bit pointless.

You only get 1 6 month extension if you mot was or is due between 30th Mar 2020 to 30th Mar 2021 just watched a video on a youtube and the tester gave the guy an mot on car today and a paper print out etc i thought that was stopped due to the virus not the mot but the paper element of it . 

51 minutes ago, Paul C said:

"Your car, van or motorcycle’s MOT expiry date will be extended by 6 months if it’s due on or after 30 March 2020"

What happened was, a small fraction of vehicles with an MoT due 25-30th March HAD TO get an MoT pretty damn quick, before all the MoT places shut up shop (they could have stayed open but hardly any of them did/are doing), otherwise it would leave them without a valid MoT. 

If your vehicle had an MoT eg 1st June 2020, it would get the 6 month extension to 1st December. If it had an MoT to 28th Feb 2021; it will extend to 28th Aug 2021. etc. I guess they did this to prevent a "doubling of cars needing an MoT" when garages were obligated to re-open, around 30th September. a 6 month pause then restart, if you like.

Of course, what its effect is that MoT stations no longer have any commercial incentive to stay open and do MoTs until 30th Sept, because the only ones which would need it are those cars whose MoT had expired previous to 30th March but now need to get back onto the road.

A case of "if you had it, you don't need it; but if you didn't have it and need it you can't get it".

Basically exactly as paul has said . 

paul, sorry but your wrong, fridays announcement was quite clear, let me quote what was said =

"to help motorists we have waived the mot renewals till the end of the outbreak ensuring vulnerable to stay at home without worrying about there cars"

[bbc iplayer 24/4/2020 if you want to check, 39 mins in ]

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

If your vehicle had an MoT eg 1st June 2020, it would get the 6 month extension to 1st December. If it had an MoT to 28th Feb 2021; it will extend to 28th Aug 2021. etc. .

your publish date is old, it has been updated, websites are constantly been updated

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

having a mot run out feb 2021 and extending it to aug 2021 is wishfull thinking :D

and to finish, mot stations are not closed, this is to stop the spread of covid 19 , from people isolating, it is not a excuse to skip the mot

Edited by have a word with the wife

1 minute ago, have a word with the wife said:

paul, sorry but your wrong, fridays announcement was quite clear, let me quote what was said =

"to help motorists we have waived the mot renewals till the end of the outbreak ensuring vulnerable to stay at home without worrying about there cars"

I went off this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

So would I

If it was a chicken it would be a month past its sell by date

I asked you or said the other night

Really?

My point was in say 2 years time some bloke will be messaging you asking why it has a funny mot history on the car he is interested in buying because most customers are goldfish remember and forget the important stuff

This is why we use the jimmy saville approach at work on the important stuff

Ie say everything twice :)

5 minutes ago, Thestalker said:

My point was in say 2 years time some bloke will be messaging you asking why it has a funny mot history on the car he is interested in buying because most customers are goldfish remember and forget the important stuff

99.9% of the cars the bloke will be looking at will have a funny MoT history though - it doesn't place that car at any disadvantage. So the car with lined up 12 month ones won't have an advantage.

Now, servicing........

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

99.9% of the cars the bloke will be looking at will have a funny MoT history though - it doesn't place that car at any disadvantage. So the car with lined up 12 month ones won't have an advantage.

Now, servicing........

U S P 

Will they do a u turn on it if the lockdown etc and everything  is over by august for taking sakes will September expire dates revert to original date if not then surely they would have just added the 6 months now to the current expiry date instead of waiting 2 days before the current mot expiry date just a thought . 

Although some mot stations are still open and carrying out mots three off the local ones to me are and i said i watched a guy get a mot carried out today on youtube and get a paper certificate and emissions report etc which going by the gov website  has stopped due to covid the paper receipt not the mot . 

Edited by Casper

4 minutes ago, Casper said:

Will they do a u turn on it if the lockdown etc and everything  is over by august for taking sakes if not then surely they would have just added the 6 months now iinstead of waiting 2 days before the current mot expiry date just a thought . 

Although some mot stations are still open and carrying out mots three off the local ones to me are and i said i watched a guy get a mot carried out today on youtube and get a paper certificate and emissions report etc which going by the gov website  has stopped due to covid the paper receipt not the mot . 

now even i am confused :D

is the answer 7 ? :D

Edited by have a word with the wife
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2020 at 8:46 PM, have a word with the wife said:

Always thought it was 42

On 4/27/2020 at 8:46 PM, have a word with the wife said:

In fact, yes, the answer is indeed 7. They are applying the extensions 7 days before the MoT runs out, so that if they change their mind they haven't already extended an MoT and then need to retract it. 

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

In fact, yes, the answer is indeed 7. They are applying the extensions 7 days before the MoT runs out, so that if they change their mind they haven't already extended an MoT and then need to retract it. 

And dont tax your car in that 7 day window until the mot shows as extended otherwise the dvla computer will explode in a hissy fit

So I'm on it now:lol:

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

woo hoo :lol:

Its a terrible scheme but I didn't think "oh the government have decided to punish garages" I just took it as a reflection of how deep and serious the scientists who advise the govt are approaching this current crisis. The implied message being that they expect life to be near-as-paused as we know it for ~6 months.

• Like 1