James Baggott

Are car dealerships still open for business?

Yes, they are. We're summed that up in a post that explains how dealers and garages can stay open - and reassure customers they can still keep coming in. Please feel free to share this story far and wide, the further we get the message out the better.

If we've missed any questions in the FAQ, let me know and I'll get them added and answered.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/car-dealerships-garages-still-open-business/188126

Some are for the time being I've not been doing a lot of my own stuff buy the garages/friends I buy for its business as usual 

Edited by Casper

It will be interesting to see if Lookers stays open for business and have a future.One year ago their shares were £1,closing bell last night they were down to 11p.I think it is very sad as they were established in 1910,have 150 dealerships,plus parts distribution companies,employ 1000’s and appear to have been led downhill by ‘ Corporates’ with little frontline motor trade experience.I was going to buy the shares at 17p last week but held back,I am pleased I did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do not wish to cause panic here but, erm, are car dealerships still open for business ? well, erm, 2 top banks are not, visited two banks in my town today and one normally closes at 4pn the other one at 2pm, both visited at 12 pm, one of the banks 2 outside machines were out of order, the others machine was working but very slowly, no news on a rush on the banks but seen this =

A spokesman for London-based HSBC said the bank, which operates globally with retail branches in the U.S., had not seen any change in cash withdrawal patterns. 

David Tente, executive director of the ATM Industry Association for the U.S., Canada and the Americas, said he had not heard any reports of consumers rushing for cash, but acknowledged that such a need could arise. 

"It would not be unusual in times of crisis to see that happen — people are going to rely on cash if they are concerned about being able to purchase what they need," he said.

A spokesperson for UK Finance, a trade association that represents the banking and financial services industry in Great Britain, said it had not seen any rush for cash withdrawals. 

Officials said the UK cash industry, however, had contingency plans in place to deal with a range of scenarios and was closely monitoring developments:unsure:

Closed

Had a nice text 2 in fact from customers this last week thanking me for going above and beyond to put them in cars so they can serve the nation ( no bull t here I'm being truthfull )meanwhile sat at home looking at the CCTV at work I can only see tumbleweeds moving majestically around my stock:lol:

2 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

We are fully open, but customers are few and far between.

I have been open today, but will close at 4.00, and I must admit, in view of whats happening, I do feel pretty stupid opening up and sitting here on my own staring at a forecourt of cars and no customers. Just the odd casual looker the past 2 weeks. No phone or email enquiries either for almost 10-12 days. (except for CG fake ones, you would think they would do the decent thing and stop sending them now. We all know their game anyway). I am sure 99.9% of peoples priorities do not involve buying a car at present, other than out of necessity.

I noticed BCA Blackbushe are showing over 2500 cars and Bedford over 1500 cars for Mondays sale. These are unprecedented numbers. Wonder what the numbers will be up to by the end of week! Interestingly, there is no Covid news for any plans they may have, on their website that I could see, which I think is unusual for such a huge company. Playing their cards close to their chest. No buyer fee incentives, delivery incetives, whether they are closing at all, or going just online etc

Open. 6 calls / emails during the week. 

1 Came loved the car, left a deposit, then changed their mind in light of "everything"

1 made an appointment then called to cancel in light of "everything"

1 turned up AND was instantly approved by the finance company but could not find a way to pay the £3000 negative equity on their part-ex so no deal

1 more made an appointment then called to cancel in light of what "Boris just said"

1 call from Zuto on a car that was sold 10 days ago in another deal through them. Offered a similar to their customer. Fingers crossed.

1 is on the way right now on Sat late afternoon. 

Edited by Nick M.K.
  • Like 2

One half-price less than perfect German p/x shitter sold this week. Plenty of emails from arseholes, a couple of plastic trade vermin trying to rape me over the phone and two visitors today - usual Saturday tyrekickers not at all ready to buy so both politely brushed off rather than waste my time sitting in cars with the unwashed.

9 minutes ago, BHM said:

One half-price less than perfect German p/x shitter sold this week. Plenty of emails from arseholes, a couple of plastic trade vermin trying to rape me over the phone and two visitors today - usual Saturday tyrekickers not at all ready to buy so both politely brushed off rather than waste my time sitting in cars with the unwashed.

On Monday, after much haggling I accepted £4100 for an 18,000 mile Hyundai i10 Auto that I would normally have got screen price for. Traded out 2 p/ex shitters for a combined total of £400. And that is my week. And everyone please all stay safe especially when dealing customers. I spoke on the phone at length, with my cousin in Italy yesterday. The conversation left me cold. His only advice to all in the UK is, do not ignore the medical advice, it is not exagerated, and do not under any circumstance underestimate this virus. It is frightening how easily and quickly it spreads.

Going home and opening a few cold ones now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

It will be interesting to see if Lookers stays open for business and have a future.One year ago their shares were £1,closing bell last night they were down to 11p.I think it is very sad as they were established in 1910,have 150 dealerships,plus parts distribution companies,employ 1000’s and appear to have been led downhill by ‘ Corporates’ with little frontline motor trade experience.I was going to buy the shares at 17p last week but held back,I am pleased I did.

From what I see the problem many of the large companies have is that they’ve taken on debt and returned operating cash to shareholders and management.  So share prices driven up artificially whilst putting the business in a vulnerable position that only worked whilst the carousel kept turning at speed.

Not a situation an owner/operator would let happen. I’ve learnt over a variety of experiences in recent months that accounting tricks and deception is far too widespread to ever invest in the stock market again, unless as a tracker. Fortunately my losses are minor compared to many.

• Like 1

Quiet all week here but i took an appointment last night and he has just been and bought and I've got another appointment booked for tomorrow.

My phone is most definitely OFF tomorrow.

I’m sure some of you will make a sale but the great British public is bored and are looking for various forms of entertainment. It won’t be at the expense of my time.

• Like 1

I don’t work at the pitch myself anymore but apparently we had one person in all day who had a few more to see, not that we were overt bothered as he had only purchased his newish Corsa about 6 months ago on finance :lol: Would have probably needed the fire brigade to get him out of that.

• Haha 1

I wish he’d just shut the country, half the ignorant twats are missing the point of social distancing 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

I don’t work at the pitch myself anymore but apparently we had one person in all day who had a few more to see, not that we were overt bothered as he had only purchased his newish Corsa about 6 months ago on finance :lol: Would have probably needed the fire brigade to get him out of that.

:lol: thats a good one mate actually laughed for the first time in a few days 

Car thief’s were our main visitor, spent a little while looking and decided they fancied a nearly new Range Rover.  Hammers and screw drivers to get in but gave up trying to start it.

1 minute ago, Contracts said:

Car thief’s were our main visitor, spent a little while looking and decided they fancied a nearly new Range Rover.  Hammers and screw drivers to get in but gave up trying to start it.

:( :angry: 

We stopped buying anything just over three weeks ago and dumped quite a lot of stuff to the block. Stock level now about 30% of what we normally carry. I did this after I watched a video from China explaining that some of the biggest business losers in Wuhan were car dealerships, unable to make payments on their stocking loans. That got me thinking...

The UK car market is built on very shaky foundations. Too much debt throughout the industry, too much financial 'sleight of hand' and too many customers over-bought. Many on leases will not be able to maintain payments. Just look at Pendragon and Lookers - they are now 'penny share' companies.  Things are going to get very very ugly.

1 minute ago, James Baggott said:

It honestly astounds me that scumbags are still at it now. Shouldn't do, but my word. I'm sorry to hear that

I fully expect theft, and crime in general, to increase. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

We stopped buying anything just over three weeks ago and dumped quite a lot of stuff to the block. Stock level now about 30% of what we normally carry. I did this after I watched a video from China explaining that some of the biggest business losers in Wuhan were car dealerships, unable to make payments on their stocking loans. That got me thinking...

The UK car market is built on very shaky foundations. Too much debt throughout the industry, too much financial 'sleight of hand' and too many customers over-bought. Many on leases will not be able to maintain payments. Just look at Pendragon and Lookers - they are now 'penny share' companies.  Things are going to get very very ugly.

I hate to think what is coming. But look, we're all in this together - no one is immune to this. We can all do what we can now, but this downturn will affect us all. Keeping chins up key right now, which I know is hard! This industry has some great people in it and we'll battle it :)