Sign in to follow this  
Grantlfc81

Diese jag XF 2.7 diesel overrun

2.7 xf 2008 auto 

Just had a car come back after 21 days of being owned by the customer saying it’s not right.

his had restricted performed light and Apparently smoke From the engine bay.

ive just taken it out as it started fine and gave it a bit of welly.  The car ran away with itself uncontrollably when I hit the kick Down in in 3rd - 2nd gear. Went up into the red line I pulled over and yes smoke from engine bay.

what’s everyone’s thoughts?

Edited by Grantlfc81

You were lucky it didn't seriously throw its guts up and put a rod through the block .

Its running on because its sucking oil up and running on its own , even with fuel shut off they can shit themselves . have you dipped the oil? , if its over full there's a leak of diesel into the oil sump . Smoke was probably coming out the dip stick hole or breather. 

DPF blocked can cause this as well and that goes with the reduced performance light  

Good place to start 1st DPF and dip the oil to make sure it hasn't filled itself with diesel in the sump 

Ok thank you.

i shut the car down straight away and drove It back Slowly. Engine sounds sweet still luckily so will start with that. Any other ideas after that?

Too much Diesel in the oil?

Turbo seals gone? Although when they go they normally over-rev every time you start & give it a few revs.

Good luck, I hope permanent damage hasn’t been done to the engine.

Thanks gents! How’s business. We have done a few bits. 9 for the month and a fair bit of finance. 50% down on last year though but not totally hopeless yet.