Dave Brown

Coping with coronavirus

51 minutes ago, Dave Brown said:

Hi all, the Car Dealer team have been talking to dealer groups about coronavirus. Is there anything you've started doing to help keep everyone safe but keep your business moving? We'd be interested to hear.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/coronavirus-dealers-midst-crisis/187946

Remind customers their deposit are non-refunable

• Like 1

Just now, Mojo121 said:

Remind customers their deposit are non-refunable

This!

We are offering free delivery within 50 miles for customers apprehensive about leaving the house, reassuring them all our cars are fully valeted and sanitised. Prior to delivery they will receive a video call showing them every little blemish or stone chip etc so they can be assured of the product they will receive.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave, it's difficult to protect those that come into contact with the public, as an insurance broker we are advising clients who do and have more than one person involved in the business to have dedicated point(s) of contact for customers, that is if its possible to isolates these people from the rest of your team. It's impractical in smaller garages, but if you allocate the youngest member of the team to meet and great customers and deal with the general public face to face, and the older members of the team can then look to deal with telephone calls and emails, you may be able to avoid or stagger any impact. Given most businesses are likely to suffer from a greatly reduced foot fall, even if the garage premises that does not facilitate the seperation of teams they could look to rotate the face to face part of the role with individuals working from home or elsewhere. The idea is not to have everyone sat in one room passing the disease between themselves, one falling, all falling ill. It's really important to sanitize the controls of vehicles when you get in them, Coronavirus can survive on metal, glass and plastic for up to nine days!      

36 minutes ago, Premier Insurance said:

Hi Dave, it's difficult to protect those that come into contact with the public, as an insurance broker we are advising clients who do and have more than one person involved in the business to have dedicated point(s) of contact for customers, that is if its possible to isolates these people from the rest of your team. It's impractical in smaller garages, but if you allocate the youngest member of the team to meet and great customers and deal with the general public face to face, and the older members of the team can then look to deal with telephone calls and emails, you may be able to avoid or stagger any impact. Given most businesses are likely to suffer from a greatly reduced foot fall, even if the garage premises that does not facilitate the seperation of teams they could look to rotate the face to face part of the role with individuals working from home or elsewhere. The idea is not to have everyone sat in one room passing the disease between themselves, one falling, all falling ill. It's really important to sanitize the controls of vehicles when you get in them, Coronavirus can survive on metal, glass and plastic for up to nine days!      

hi

very sensible approach

ive stopped all test drives full stop

ive stopped mot anything 

im seeing what happens friday or earlier

great to see a business being proactve

All of my adverts have the company statement:

XXX Ltd has taken the decision to suspend any and ALL casual viewing of vehicles in order to protect its staff, customers and suppliers against any unnecessary and potential exposure to any COVID 19 (Coronavirus). 

Until further notice, XXX staff will only be in attendance to hand over vehicles that have already been sold or for people whom have made a commitment to buy a vehicle from the description and pictures on the website by means of a non-refundable deposit. 

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause but we feel as a responsible company and employer, these are sensible safety measures to help limit the spread of Coronavirus. 

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. 

Typically, I have 4 cars going out on Friday which under normal circumstances I would be very happy.

I have popped in for a couple of hours today (finish prepping one car) and one hour on Monday (a sold one collected by third parties for MOT and a smart repair). Other than that, I am working from home.

I refused my Auditor from Next Gear entry today and just handed him a notice saying that we are not handling anything non-essential. His office agreed for him to leave.

All shutters are down, door locked and a sign pointing people to our website if they want to "buy" a car - No casual viewings.

This means I am still isolated (excpet my dog came in with me) and no-one should be aware that I am in.

Edited by Mark101

8 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

All of my adverts have the company statement:

XXX Ltd has taken the decision to suspend any and ALL casual viewing of vehicles in order to protect its staff, customers and suppliers against any unnecessary and potential exposure to any COVID 19 (Coronavirus). 

Until further notice, XXX staff will only be in attendance to hand over vehicles that have already been sold or for people whom have made a commitment to buy a vehicle from the description and pictures on the website by means of a non-refundable deposit. 

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause but we feel as a responsible company and employer, these are sensible safety measures to help limit the spread of Coronavirus. 

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. 

Typically, I have 4 cars going out on Friday which under normal circumstances I would be very happy.

I have popped in for a couple of hours today (finish prepping one car) and one hour on Monday (a sold one collected by third parties for MOT and a smart repair). Other than that, I am working from home.

I refused my Auditor from Next Gear entry today and just handed him a notice saying that we are not handling anything non-essential. His office agreed for him to leave.

All shutters are down, door locked and a sign pointing people to our website if they want to "buy" a car - No casual viewings.

This means I am still isolated (excpet my dog came in with me) and no-one should be aware that I am in.

Ill not pop in for a coffee this week then. :D

In all seriousness brilliant advice and a very professional stance.

3 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

I have actually taken it one step further and after Friday, will go into proper lock down. Just need these 4 gone to put some funds in the bank.

New statement just gone live:

XXX Ltd has taken the decision to suspend any and ALL casual viewing of vehicles and any non-essential activities in order to protect its staff, contractors, customers and suppliers against any unnecessary and potential exposure to any COVID 19 (Coronavirus). 

Until further notice, XXX staff will not be in physical attendance to perform viewings on vehicles or any other business activity but will retain an Online presence at: 

www.co.uk 

We would like to thank All of our existing and new customers for their support and understanding during these troubling times and we wish you and your families our very best wishes. 

19 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

What's professional about it? It's making it harder for the public to purchase your product. Surely the opposite of professional. If someone is still looking at buying a car today then they don't give a monkeys about the virus and the last person they'll want to buy from is someone's who might be a bit paranoid about it... no offence intended, just my thoughts.

Therefore, business as usual. Take your precautions - no handshakes, antibac spray , wiping desks, but don't go changing the formula.

Maybe this is controversial?

Edited by Mojo121
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

What's professional about it? It's making it harder for the public to purchase your product. Surely the opposite of professional. If someone is still looking at buying a car today then they don't give a monkeys about the virus and the last person they'll want to buy from is someone's who might be a bit paranoid about it... no offence intended, just my thoughts.

Therefore, business as usual. Take your precautions - no handshakes, antibac spray , wiping desks, but don't go changing the formula.

I don't think it is professional, it isn't about that. It is personal for me, a choice (at the moment) I have decided to make for my own, my family, friends and contacts health. 

I have had so many enquiries and every one of them has appreciated my stance.

Financially it will be tough but Health is Wealth.

5 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Its a professional approach to a very serious issue.

Im not saying its the answer and i am sure mark hasn't taken this stance lightly.

I intend to do all viewings as normal

Just now, Mark101 said:

I don't think it is professional, it isn't about that. It is personal for me, a choice (at the moment) I have decided to make for my own, my family, friends and contacts health. 

I have had so many enquiries and every one of them has appreciated my stance.

Financially it will be tough but Health is Wealth.

Appreciate and respect your stance totally. I should've been clearer, as you say, for you, it's not about the business. My thing about professionalism was just it isn't the best tactic to move metal. 

2 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Its a professional approach to a very serious issue.

Im not saying its the answer and i am sure mark hasn't taken this stance lightly.

I intend to do all viewings as normal

Yeah, get what you're saying.

We may all be eligible for the £10k gov grant so I'd be keener to isolate then.

2 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

it isn't the best tactic to move metal. 

People always want what they can't have :P:lol:

Anyway, I am enjoying not being chained to the place but I am equally bored sat at home. Perhaps I will go on holiday for some sun, oh wait.....................:huh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

People always want what they can't have :P:lol:

Yeah. Stranger things happen... you could be extra busy! "Hello, Corona Car Sales Ltd, how may we avoid you?" :lol:

I've just been informed from 3 different sources connected with the Army and Navy that the forces are in readiness for some sort of action this weekend .

NO Idea what mind ,

another customer has called me with same news , he was collecting his car on Sat but wants to come in the Morning now because hes heard on the vine were heading for shut down at weekend  

Anyone else heard or is it rumours one thinks , or hopes its rumours anyway . 

My god what a world of confusion we have at present 

Edited by David Horgan

16 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

"Hello, Corona Car Sales Ltd, how may we avoid you

LOL How may we avoid you :lol:

Imagine the new sales technique cant you . 

Hello , which car do you want ? , stand over there , Read this and don't touch anything  , OK , Pay online , collect keys from that hook over there and goodbye . "Slam door ":o

18 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

I've just been informed from 3 different sources connected with the Army and Navy that the forces are in readiness for some sort of action this weekend .

NO Idea what mind ,

another customer has called me with same news , he was collecting his car on Sat but wants to come in the Morning now because hes heard on the vine were heading for shut down at weekend  

Anyone else heard or is it rumours one thinks , or hopes its rumours anyway . 

My god what a world of confusion we have at present 

Sounds like enforced lockdown. In Poland they have patrols on the street with curfews big £ fines if caught out

• Like 1

I think it's pretty obvious where we are heading. Any dealer who isn't prepared to be shut down for 1-2 months has their head in the sand a little bit I think. 

Also just noticed Manheim going online only from Monday.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, poor-trader said:

I bet the auctioneer still cancels my bid and says, "in the hall first." :lol:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, poor-trader said:

An interesting opportunity for Manheim to get a feel for online only. I suspect they'll revisit this when CV is over and done with?

53 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

I've just been informed from 3 different sources connected with the Army and Navy that the forces are in readiness for some sort of action this weekend

Seems one extreme to the other, schools are still open yet in 72 hours we might be locked in our houses?  Personally I cant see it, but who knows!

I know Colchester has just axed the catering contract and all the staff given a couple of week's notice. I'd assumed they were just changing franchisee but maybe not! :)

Thanks very much for your feedback everyone – we'll compile some responses for a website post first thing tomorrow and probably include some comments in the next printed mag. Have a good evening and stay safe and healthy.