Max Branning

Taxing a stock car

If you want to tax a car that you have in stock for your own use for a short period while the car is for sale, is it just a case of using the ref number from the V5c and setting up a Direct debit and then cancelling the DD when the car is sold.

Does this also cause a problem for the new buyer wanting to tax on the same V5c number? 

Im looking to use one of ours for a few weeks or so but dont want to just run it around on the plates.

Any help appreciated.

Hi  Max.

No problems I have done this. The only thing is new owner must then tax at post office for 6 months, can not be done online.

Jim

so for the sake of clarity

the car is "in trade"?

you are taxing in the name of the former owner?

or?

you are taxing on the new keeper slip?

im assuming trade insurer happy about this

im assuming you arent worried if it got clamped and hauled to a dvla pound because your cover note wont cover it

im assuming this is what roadside traders are doing who arent paying anything like im paying in fixed bills and basically screwing the system

i would prefer the mods to remove all this if its correct because i would rather it wasnt on an open forum if its this easy

The van is on the Mid on our trade insurance and is currently up for sale. I may take it off sale temporarily as I need to use it for a few weeks which is why i want to tax it.

Surely i wouldnt need to put the V5 in my name to do this?

Under the old system i would of just taxed it for 6 months and sold it on with the tax on it when im done with it but obviously that cant be done now.

I used an astravan for 18 months, taxed it 3 times for 6 months each time using the same reference number from the green slip and paying in full, it was passed to trade and never had a problem. Apparently if you pay by DD that's the only time that you need to register it in your name as the green slip is only valid once.

I've taxed a few runaround cars that are on MID & in trade on the new keeper slips , they then show online as taxed ,  when sold the customer gets the remaining tax .... Not a big loss if it's a £30 a year job and it came in with a full tank of diesel to start with .

Not sure how that sits with DVLA , but there's always an amount of time between taxing cars for customers on delivery and Swansea receiving V5 .

just my gap may be a bit longer than usual......

I local dealer got into a very sticky situation with this. He taxed the car on the green slip and kept hold of the V5, he then sold it around 6 weeks later and put the new keepers details on V5 and the date the customer picked it up and sold it with the remainder of the tax. A few weeks later the customer got pulled over by the police for the car been untaxed. It turns out DVLA had received the V5, seen it had been taxed prior to change of owner so refunded the months left to the previous keeper!!

Using the above as an example, let's say a customer buys a car it gets taxed and then on collection day they back out. So you haven't set the v5 out. What would you normally do ?

I guess You could then fill out the v61 or complete the keeper change online but would the tax still stand ? After all if it's taxed and the v5 gets lost in the post how would this differ ?

Taxing the car is normally the last thing I do before the customer leaves while also changing the V5 ownership online.