David Horgan

How long can traders hang on if we went to lock down like Italy

8 minutes ago, beenaroundtheblock said:

Having watched what various medical professionals have had to say and also followed the news on how this coronavirus has spread I must admit to being a bit concerned. Im so glad i came on here and have had my mind put at rest by someone who started selling cars a few years ago.

"It's just the Flu"

Is that aimed at me?

2 hours ago, EPV said:

Is that aimed at me?

Appears so.

I too share the view of keep calm and carry on. Probably because I’m riding solo with no debt or real need to sell a load to stand still perhaps?

those “stay at home cautious” individuals are usually the ones that moan at a creaking door latch and think they can excersize their right to Reject on day 30 because of it so I’m hardly going to miss out on their custom am i

Edited by justlooking

18 hours ago, C B said:

My plan is full steam ahead!!! 

I'll cross any doom and gloom bridges if and when I come to any. 

Certainly won't be battening any hatches, scaling back or similar. 

If anything I'll be going harder, and bmore positive. 

I cannot physically stand all the scare mongering and the absolute morons who are out panic buying pasta and toilet rolls!! 

One thing's for sure. I won't stop buying, working, looking for opportunities or doing any less than I already do. 

I may even buy a hazmat suit and change all my 'attention grabbers' to....... CORONAVIRUS SUFFERS WELCOME' 

what  he said 

I,m not sure what effect it will have in the motor trade. I am in the fortunate position where I have no borrowings and can live without a wage, so I can ride it out...

However, in my partners business which I am involved in, we are down 30K already... just like that. (that is a real tangible 30K, not a projected loss)if it goes on we lose another 30K in Sept/Oct. That would pretty much fuck up a business my partner has put her heart and sole into.

What fucks me off so much is that all the people giving out the advice and managing the situation will get paid whatever...it won't effect them other than the inconvenience of maybe not being able to wipe their arse with their favourite brand of toilet paper.  

Out here in the real world.....   

The saying is “when the going gets tough, the tough get going”.

So it’s not going to doom and gloom for everyone but IF there is a full blown recession of the back of the crisis then people will need to work a bit harder to make business a success.

In my view a recession is a good thing,  it gets rid of weaker businesses and lets the strong survive and thrive. 

It usual results in credit availability being tightened and that should stop the stupidity of buying prices which have hit margins for many.

For example, It may create buying opportunities as cash strapped punters are forced to sell cars to pay mortgages (And if credit reduction chokes auction demand wbac values will drop).

A recession is part of the natural cycle of business, just as Corona is just part of the nature’s cycle too.

I’m not “worried” about what’s going to happen but I do think you have to be prepared for it.

Such events are those that bring reality back to people, and cause changes in behaviour.

Having lived through World Wars our grand parents were much more cautious and careful than later generations. This is not that, but it is likely to be a reminder of planning for tomorrow as well as living for today.

5 minutes ago, XFS said:

I,m not sure what effect it will have in the motor trade. I am in the fortunate position where I have no borrowings and can live without a wage, so I can ride it out...

However, in my partners business which I am involved in, we are down 30K already... just like that. (that is a real tangible 30K, not a projected loss)if it goes on we lose another 30K in Sept/Oct. That would pretty much fuck up a business my partner has put her heart and sole into.

What fucks me off so much is that all the people giving out the advice and managing the situation will get paid whatever...it won't effect them other than the inconvenience of maybe not being able to wipe their arse with their favourite brand of toilet paper.  

Out here in the real world.....   

Curious as to what business this is? That’s a serious hit in what is 3 weeks? 

I hope you are able to trade through it and survive. 

My worry today is should I start looking at travel insurance for my stag do at the end of the month and wedding insurance for my wedding in May and would any insurance policy cover cancellation due to virus?

2 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

My worry today is should I start looking at travel insurance for my stag do at the end of the month and wedding insurance for my wedding in May and would any insurance policy cover cancellation due to virus?

My youngest daughter is in the travel business. Apparently going forward most NEW travel policies now exclude losses due to Coronavirus. If you act quickly you may still find a policy that gives cover.

14 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

my youngest daughter works for one of the big travel companies. Bookings have dropped off a cliff. 

Every cloud has a silver lining - perhaps I might have a fortnight away this year instead of a week. 

Funnily enough on a similar vein have you ever tried explaining to a punter that when times are hard car prices rise? It sounds counter-intuitive because they think; lack of customers = buyers market.

I then tried to educate this chap in the laws of supply & demand; lack of customers = lack of cars (poor supply).

I wish I’d not wasted my breath because he then educated me in the fact the local travel agents are screaming for his business. I knew at this point I’d backed a loser & politely sent him on his way to book 10 days in Benidorm. Quite how a self catering holiday in that shithole gets you to work when your current car is fucked is beyond me but that’s his business.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, EPV said:

Is that aimed at me?

Yes it was. You seem to have all the answers such as it's just flu, its seasonal etc. Yet the experts are not saying that. Im not stockpiling or predicting the end of the world but neither do I think it's just the flu. Today I will be going about my normal day today and this afternoon/evening I will be going to Petts Wood and Orpington to see a few cars. So im hardly locking myself inside. Doctors from Italy and Spain are telling us we are being complacent and we don't know what we have coming, but I'm glad it's just the flu. For those with sick or elderly relatives I truly hope you are the one who is right. 

Edited by beenaroundtheblock

10 minutes ago, beenaroundtheblock said:

Yes it was. You seem to have all the answers such as it's just flu, its seasonal etc. Yet the experts are not saying that. Im not stockpiling or predicting the end of the world but neither do I think it's just the flu. Today I will be going about my normal day today and this afternoon/evening I will be going to Petts Wood and Orpington to see a few cars. So im hardly locking myself inside. Doctors from Italy and Spain are telling us we are being complacent and we don't know what we have coming, but I'm glad it's just the flu. For those with sick or elderly relatives I truly hope you are the one who is right. 

I don’t have the answers, I have an opinion. It doesn’t seem to correspond with yours. Ah well. Even Trump has said he believes it will be seasonal. Where do you think he gets his advice from, the beano?

Quite what my length of time in the industry has to do with talking about Coronavirus I don’t know. I can read the news like you can. Anyone can hold an opinion. 

Do I know you? Do you know me? This is the second thinly veiled dig at me you have had on here, in the last 3 weeks. You seem to have a little hard on for me. 

The moderators on the forum here don’t really like little spats, which is understandable. It doesn’t look good on the board as a whole. 

I happen to live very close to the areas you are going to looking at cars tonight (Petts Wood, Orpington) so why don’t you send me a private message (to keep the board free from this sort of thing) tell me the name of a pub near where you’re going to be later and a time, and I’ll swing by and buy you a pint and you can tell me to my face all your problems with me and we can sort it all out? 

7 minutes ago, EPV said:

I don’t have the answers, I have an opinion. It doesn’t seem to correspond with yours. Ah well. Even Trump has said he believes it will be seasonal. Where do you think he gets his advice from, the beano?

Quite what my length of time in the industry has to do with talking about Coronavirus I don’t know. I can read the news like you can. Anyone can hold an opinion. 

Do I know you? Do you know me? This is the second thinly veiled dig at me you have had on here, in the last 3 weeks. You seem to have a little hard on for me. 

The moderators on the forum here don’t really like little spats, which is understandable. It doesn’t look good on the board as a whole. 

I happen to live very close to the areas you are going to looking at cars tonight (Petts Wood, Orpington) so why don’t you send me a private message (to keep the board free from this sort of thing) tell me the name of a pub near where you’re going to be later and a time, and I’ll swing by and buy you a pint and you can tell me to my face all your problems with me and we can sort it all out? 

Not too close to your face I hope....

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Not too close to your face I hope....

Ha ha! Made me lol :)

Looking at some of the comments on here what I would say is who needs the over-qualified so-called 'experts' of the World Health Organisation sitting on their over-paid fat backsides dishing out doom and gloom?  Project Fear mark 2 ! Never trust an expert!  

They could all be fired and replaced with a panel of randomly-chosen used car dealers. With an added bonus that once they have sorted Coronavirus and got the economy back on an even keel the same guys can crack on with a comprehensive international trade deal and get Brexit done and dusted by Christmas. The fish-stealing Froggies and emission-cheating Jerries won't know what's hit 'em!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, EPV said:

:lol: has your account been hacked by a recently banned member?

7 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

:lol: has your account been hacked by a recently banned member?

No but I’m starting to wonder if he’s still on here! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Feel free to come to Forest Hill anytime you like, I dont run around after people.

I will try and get hold of some toilet rolls so you can dry your eyes as well.

Edited by beenaroundtheblock
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, beenaroundtheblock said:

Feel free to come to Forest Hill anytime you like, I dont run around after people.

I will try and get hold of some toilet rolls so you can dry your eyes as well.

No, you just have sly, personal, anonymous  digs at them on the Internet instead. 

1 minute ago, EPV said:

No, you just have sly, personal, anonymous  digs at them on the Internet instead. 

Grow up mate. I made a joke before about you copying arfurdealy, which lets be honest is true. 

I then disagreed with your opinion on the coronavirus, as you said justa difference of opinion. 

You then decided to try and offer me out lol, genuinely come to Forest Hill anytime you like, if you feel that strongly about it. Its not far from Bickley.  Colfe Road SE23. 

Comment from an Italian friend (lives in London, family in Italy) when I mentioned it was mainly an issue for the elderly:

“no, not just old, unless you consider 45 yo people as old? There’s hundreds currently connected to a ventilator, across all age ranges, including 38 children”

1 hour ago, Halfpenny said:

Looking at some of the comments on here what I would say is who needs the over-qualified so-called 'experts' of the World Health Organisation sitting on their over-paid fat backsides dishing out doom and gloom?  Project Fear mark 2 ! Never trust an expert!  

They could all be fired and replaced with a panel of randomly-chosen used car dealers. With an added bonus that once they have sorted Coronavirus and got the economy back on an even keel the same guys can crack on with a comprehensive international trade deal and get Brexit done and dusted by Christmas. The fish-stealing Froggies and emission-cheating Jerries won't know what's hit 'em!

Don’t forget the 40 new hospitals and the extra £350 million a year for the NHS! That will certainly come in handy now!

17 minutes ago, beenaroundtheblock said:

Grow up mate. I made a joke before about you copying arfurdealy, which lets be honest is true. 

I then disagreed with your opinion on the coronavirus, as you said justa difference of opinion. 

You then decided to try and offer me out lol, genuinely come to Forest Hill anytime you like, if you feel that strongly about it. Its not far from Bickley.  Colfe Road SE23. 

Sent you a PM.