Sean Glover

New driver law

Hi I think I’ve been caught speed doing around 80mph in a 70mph my question is will I be offered a course if I’m a new driver and how long do you think it will take before I find out if I have been caught or not 

cheers Sean 

Don't worry too much until the notice drops through the door.

I think they normally inform within a fortnight. If the car is registered to trade, it might take longer.

I couldn't tell you whether you'll be offered a course or not, I think that depends on different factors whether a course would be appropriate or not.

Cross your fingers, and hope you're under. Learn from it too - trade insurance is expensive enough without any points!

1 minute ago, D&M said:

Don't worry too much until the notice drops through the door.

I think they normally inform within a fortnight. If the car is registered to trade, it might take longer.

I couldn't tell you whether you'll be offered a course or not, I think that depends on different factors whether a course would be appropriate or not.

Cross your fingers, and hope you're under. Learn from it too - trade insurance is expensive enough without any points!

No was in personal car not trade thankfully I’m crapping myself lapse in concentration and running late for auction no excuse to speed but gutted I hope I keep my license 

4 minutes ago, Sean Glover said:

No was in personal car not trade thankfully I’m crapping myself lapse in concentration and running late for auction no excuse to speed but gutted I hope I keep my license 

Speeding is normally only 3 points - as a new driver, you've got 6 to use up before you're back at the bus stop :lol:

Car speedos are normally read a couple on MPH over, and cameras normally have a tolerance. Fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, D&M said:

Speeding is normally only 3 points - as a new driver, you've got 6 to use up before you're back at the bus stop :lol:

Car speedos are normally read a couple on MPH over, and cameras normally have a tolerance. Fingers crossed.

Ok cheers I’ll never speed ever again just not worth it I’m feel bad that I did speed I hate breaking law and feel so guilty

Hopefully you will be fine think it's something like 10.percent plus 2 mph to allow for calibration fingers crossed 

Get someone else to take the 3 points Sean that you can cover on the insurance obviously there would need to be a drink in it for them :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Ek cars said:

Get someone else to take the 3 points Sean that you can cover on the insurance obviously there would need to be a drink in it for them :rolleyes:

Sounds like a brilliant plan

He's driving his own car on a car insurance policy

He goes past a a photographing speed awareness van

He gets snapped

He says it woz me mate innit

Turns out mate not insured for car

So then its allowing a person to drive your car with an uninsured driver

Then they look at the photos

And its perjury

A friend once denied a speeding ticket and they sent him a photo where you could see a boogie up his nose:ph34r:

Get a sat nav that beeps at you if you are in the habit of doing 80 in 70

Edited by New year revolutions......

10 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

A friend once denied a speeding ticket and they sent him a photo where you could see a boogie up his nose:ph34r:

Then we are in the realms of all

Mentioned on here before An old boss got a speeding with the trade plate near London said he couldnt be sure who was driving they sent him a blown up photo and you could see the logo of the cigarette he was smoking at the time they had put an arrow to his face in black marker pen with the words is this you . 

Edited by Casper
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Casper said:

Mentioned on here before An old boss got a speeding with the trade plate near London said he couldnt be sure who was driving they sent him a blown up photo and you could see the logo of the cigarette he was smoking at the time they had put an arrow to his face in black marker pen with the words is this you . 

Did they manage to fit the Hubble Telescope in the back of a lwb Transit?

8 hours ago, Casper said:

It’s a shame they don’t try that hard to catch burglars!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sean Glover said:

Ok cheers I’ll never speed ever again just not worth it I’m feel bad that I did speed I hate breaking law and feel so guilty

Give it a month and you will be back to doing 80.

Did you actually see the flash or just roll through at 80 ?

I find that cameras on the motorway are not triggered till over 80.

Happens to the best of us

• Like 1

Penalties usually kick in at +10%+2mph.  So in a 70mph limit that would be 79mph. Assuming your speedo is over-reading by 5% (some are a bit more, some a bit less) you'd have be going an approx indicated 83mph or more..

Whether you get offered a course depends on your local police force policy. Most forces do offer a course to 'first timers'...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boycie said:

Did they manage to fit the Hubble Telescope in the back of a lwb Transit?

No and wouldn't believe it myself had I never seen it  It was the second letter and second picture they obv enlarge the photos in an office .Because he refused to accept liability in first instance . 

Edited by Casper

6 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Penalties usually kick in at +10%+2mph.  So in a 70mph limit that would be 79mph. Assuming your speedo is over-reading by 5% (some are a bit more, some a bit less) you'd have be going an approx indicated 83mph or more..

Whether you get offered a course depends on your local police force policy. Most forces do offer a course to 'first timers'...

This.

• Like 1

80 on a dual carriageway should be ok stop worrying . Next time just look further ahead :D

10%over round here for speed awareness courses I think then they lock you up .

Never been done for speeding ever , god knows how mind . I've only ever two speeds , flat out and stopped :lol:

15 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

80 on a dual carriageway should be ok stop worrying . Next time just look further ahead :D

10%over round here for speed awareness courses I think then they lock you up .

Never been done for speeding ever , god knows how mind . I've only ever two speeds , flat out and stopped :lol:

Maybe just a lucky kind of guy David :lol: 20s plenty 

On 3/4/2020 at 7:29 AM, metcars said:

It’s a shame they don’t try that hard to catch burglars!

Or send HMRC to investigate punters at car auctions

1 hour ago, 15Cars said:

Or send HMRC to investigate punters at car auctions

Excuse me,why would HMRC do that !

Because the rogues/driveway/cash traders aren't paying a penny of tax on their margins like the rest of us do.

Edited by 15Cars
  • Like 1