Sign in to follow this  
Mojo121

How are you pricing your stock?

I've spoken to a few customers and they seem to be very clued on how to arrange the cars in their search low-high and many have told me they do so when searching. To my mind it would seem important to be on the first page... maybe some will disagree?

My method/idea: Typically when pricing a car up, first arrange low-high within 80 miles (sometimes 60 if a small car) on autotrader, select the make and models, includes that are a year or two older than mine, with mileage no more than 10,000 more than mine, similar spec and try to match or undercut a bit if margin allows. Might price mine more if it has better extras, theirs is a bad colour etc or less if mine seems less desirable - this is all learnt through trial and error, it doesn't seem anyone can give a laundry list of universally appealing + points. If possible it seems beneficial to helping the phone ring to undercut people but I will always appear above the Cat C,D,N,S stuff, above the private ads and kurbsiders (not the same market of punter to my mind) and advertise along with the other proper pitches hoping my advert and reputation might secure a phonecall... but things are hard even then so I often wonder how those who are £500+ above me (sometimes £1,000 more with almost identical cars) get on? Do they sell?

Anyway, how do you all come up with your retail price? When I started Cap Retail -£200 was right to sell the car in a month 90% of the time on sub £5k stuff :lol:

(Comments like "just use AT price" hahahah. Move along ;))

Edited by Mojo121

Now it’s Cap Retail plus the cost of the prep plus the profit margin plus the haggling margin plus the equivalent of an admin fee but fully incorporated in the price :-) 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

Now it’s Cap Retail plus the cost of the prep plus the profit margin plus the haggling margin plus the equivalent of an admin fee but fully incorporated in the price :-) 

Haha this sounds about right!

5 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

I've spoken to a few customers and they seem to be very clued on how to arrange the cars in their search low-high and many have told me they do so when searching. To my mind it would seem important to be on the first page... maybe some will disagree?

My method/idea: Typically when pricing a car up, first arrange low-high within 80 miles (sometimes 60 if a small car) on autotrader, select the make and models, includes that are a year or two older than mine, with mileage no more than 10,000 more than mine, similar spec and try to match or undercut a bit if margin allows. Might price mine more if it has better extras, theirs is a bad colour etc or less if mine seems less desirable - this is all learnt through trial and error, it doesn't seem anyone can give a laundry list of universally appealing + points. If possible it seems beneficial to helping the phone ring to undercut people but I will always appear above the Cat C,D,N,S stuff, above the private ads and kurbsiders (not the same market of punter to my mind) and advertise along with the other proper pitches hoping my advert and reputation might secure a phonecall... but things are hard even then so I often wonder how those who are £500+ above me (sometimes £1,000 more with almost identical cars) get on? Do they sell?

Anyway, how do you all come up with your retail price? When I started Cap Retail -£200 was right to sell the car in a month 90% of the time on sub £5k stuff :lol:

I use a similar system to you - although as I deeply begrudge giving AT more money to promote my listings ( fist page  ) I rely on the customer having the brains to filter the stock themselves Low to High on price. Seems abit hit and miss though some stuff flys out others stick and stick!

6 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

I use the system you use or very similar.