Halfpenny

Who's next...?

How did they get it so wrong? I guess the market just changed?

Cheap finance, the euro making German cars cheaper than they were under the Deutschmark, and bmw/vag/mb lowering their quality standards.

Good cars but everyone wants to look like they are minted not sensible.

kids run mk1 focus’s probably the best second hand car that exists.

Maybe they need to bring back Roger Clark....

Edited by CCC

Aren’t the new car sales side of main dealers not heading to becoming an anachronism? Apart from test drives, what do they offer that can’t be achieved by a punter logging in online and using their bank details (or more likely, completing the finance questionnaire) to order their car direct from the manufacturer, ESPECIALLY with the more bread n butter manufacturers.

Admittedly the introduction of scabby old p/xs muddies the waters but that can be overcome. 

Times are a changing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Aren’t the new car sales side of main dealers not heading to becoming an anachronism? Apart from test drives, what do they offer that can’t be achieved by a punter logging in online and using their bank details (or more likely, completing the finance questionnaire) to order their car direct from the manufacturer, ESPECIALLY with the more bread n butter manufacturers.

Admittedly the introduction of scabby old p/xs muddies the waters but that can be overcome. 

Times are a changing.

Spot on! 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Times are a changing.

I think its why leasing is so popular on new stuff. Turns up at your door job done, hand it back at the end repeat process. 

Maybe just my opinion but I think Vauxhall have got to be one of the worst manufacturers out there. 

Does anyone actually aspire to want a Vauxhall? 

Half their customers are in so much neg eq that they only way to get out of it is to have another Vauxhall. 

What do they actually do really well? 

Maybe different under Peugeot but their previous range was just re badged versions of other manufacturers cars and vans. Vauxhall Agila anyone?! 

As I said, just my opinion but I think they are a really poor manufacturer and would do well to survive. 

There used to be a Peugeot and also a  Vauxhall dealer near here owned by the same person the Vauxhall dealer is now a business that sells garden machinery and the Peugeot dealer is closed speaking to the owner he was telling me he was putting to much investment into them Peugeot wanted him to spend over a million in upgrades which wasn't viable due to what it was making him in return . 

And as others have said I guess websites like drive the deal and carwow etc don't help local dealers had a neighbour buy a new Mercedes 350 miles away cause our local dealers couldn't match the price 

the joys of the internet times are changing as above .

Edited by Casper

22 minutes ago, Casper said:

There used to be a Peugeot and also a  Vauxhall dealer near here owned by the same person the Vauxhall dealer is now a business that sells garden machinery and the Peugeot dealer is closed speaking to the owner he was telling me he was putting to much investment into them Peugeot wanted him to spend over a million in upgrades which wasn't viable due to what it was making him in return . 

And as others have said I guess websites like drive the deal and carwow etc don't help local dealers had a neighbour buy a new Mercedes 350 miles away cause our local dealers couldn't match the price 

the joys of the internet times are changing as above .

My sister in laws family have a purrgeot franchise and I can concur

They only make money from warranty  claims and servicing not selling cars and certainly they can't justify the glass and chrome that purr want

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Frankieola said:

Does anyone actually aspire to want a Vauxhall? 

:lol::lol: I very much doubt it & I can’t see the youth of tomorrow lusting after a five year old Corsa of the new vintage. 

17 hours ago, Frankieola said:

As I said, just my opinion but I think they are a really poor manufacturer and would do well to survive. 

Absolutely. New Corsa, Astra, Insignia, Grandland, Crossland - I ask myself who in their right mind, with £xxxxx to spend finds any of them at the top of their list. To my eyes their offerings are about as appealing as a bowl of cold spew. I do see plenty of them horrid Mokkas but I think they can only shift them via the Motability scheme. 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

:lol::lol: I very much doubt it & I can’t see the youth of tomorrow lusting after a five year old Corsa of the new vintage. 

A lot of it isn’t lust the 1ltr eco flex is a group 3 insurance which is semi affordable to first time drivers. 

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

A lot of it isn’t lust the 1ltr eco flex is a group 3 insurance which is semi affordable to first time drivers. 

Yes it's not lust

it's the purr of the rockers clattering the camshaft s that they love to hear 

Thing is a half way decent mid size Peugeot is around 25k new, you just wouldn’t would you? 

16 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

Thing is a half way decent mid size Peugeot is around 25k new, you just wouldn’t would you? 

Not when you look at what the same car costs at 3 months old 

18 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

It's the same with house prices though... everything's over extended and due a big correction

12 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

it's the purr of the rockers clattering the camshaft s that they love to hear 

:lol::lol:

The owner and sales manager at a Vauxhall site that I deal with have just told them where to go / Been terminated by Vauxhall. 

They are so happy that they are doing fucking cartwheels!!! 

• Like 1