24 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

No mate

A ponzi scheme is where you get friends to buy a product at an inflated price

They then get their friends to do the same

And so on

The govt are saying that for each person defying the locking  they are selling their product to others

So it's just like a govt ponzi scheme

Sorry I was just trying to make light of a terrible situation

Day 3 here,bored bored boredbored,I've never done nothing for a minimum of 3 weeks since about 1973 and that was the school holidays,in 1974 while still at school I got a summer job in a factory sweeping up so I could buy some amstrad lo fi

That's not really how a ponzi scheme works, but I get what you mean.

My Missus is a mental health practitioner, she is working from home.

She says that all the people she is treating at the moment are actually much more upbeat about their own situations at the moment due to all this which is a bit strange.

But bearing in mind people were being referred to the service by their GPs because of Brexit, I expect her workload to increase a lot over the next year or so....

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

But bearing in mind people were being referred to the service by their GPs because of Brexit, I expect her workload to increase a lot over the next year or so....

To be honest thinking about the 'post virus' economy really scares me.  The prospects of a decent Brexit trade deal are now miniscule. The pound has already fallen, in the last week or so, greatly against the Euro and the Dollar.  At the very least the government needs to extend the transition period by one year. If we end up on WTO terms in January 2021 the UK economy will just fall off a cliff. Mass unemployment and probably raging inflation.  The EU is putting together a rescue package worth over €2 trillion (Germany alone €650bn)...  we need to be able to tap into that via their markets.

I sincerely hope that logic triumphs over ideology.

40 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

To be honest thinking about the 'post virus' economy really scares me.  The prospects of a decent Brexit trade deal are now miniscule. The pound has already fallen, in the last week or so, greatly against the Euro and the Dollar.  At the very least the government needs to extend the transition period by one year. If we end up on WTO terms in January 2021 the UK economy will just fall off a cliff. Mass unemployment and probably raging inflation.  The EU is putting together a rescue package worth over €2 trillion (Germany alone €650bn)...  we need to be able to tap into that via their markets.

I sincerely hope that logic triumphs over ideology.

And have you see what’s happening over in the US?

14 minutes ago, metcars said:

And have you see what’s happening over in the US?

Yes. US have agreed a US$2 trillion relief plan. But 30 million Americans have zero health care coverage. Self-employed have no access to benefits. I don't think the $1200 cheque from Trump will help much.  Its going to get really ugly over there. 

I need you to sit down before you read this 

You are of course aware that we are not going back to work in 3 weeks less 3 days

This is when it is projected the sh t hits the fan

This is when we are seeing nightly the death rate matching italy and Spain,where the USA death rates are beyond comprehension

I ask you now fellow traders do what you can to secure your businesses be aware of social unrest use this opportunity to see my post re security cameras and be safe for you and your family

If it's ever been said before it's never true now we are all in this together

Be safe

Frightening times

Ps found out today I have a collapsed drain and a rat infestation

27 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

You are of course aware that we are not going back to work in 3 weeks less 3 days

This is when we are seeing nightly the death rate matching italy and Spain,where the USA death rates are beyond comprehension

I ask you now fellow traders do what you can to secure your businesses be aware of social unrest use this opportunity to see my post re security cameras and be safe for you and your family

Be safe

Frightening times

You are a right bundle of joy, aren't you?

I was one of the ones who knew it wouldn't be just the flu but FFS try and keep positive. 

On 3/25/2020 at 6:00 PM, Boycie said:

Yes, I massively underestimated the effect of the reaction to this, didn't see this coming at all....

But, I still stand by the death statistics. 1700 a day die in this country, we are up to maybe 80-100 a day now, which I know will rise but is still a tiny amount compared to the amount of people killed by smoking each year.  Not sure i've ever seen you saying anything about smoking being bad for us all and how we should all stop immediately.

A minimum of 50% of these people would have died anyway this year

You can't compare obesity and smoking they are lifestyle choices. Plus on TV/media etc  always banging on about obesity and the underlying health probkems. Have you not seen the photos on cigarette packets. 

And minimum of 50% would have died anyway? Where did you get those figures from.... That statement is just a disregard for life, heartless. 

39 minutes ago, NoMargin said:

You can't compare obesity and smoking they are lifestyle choices. Plus on TV/media etc  always banging on about obesity and the underlying health probkems. Have you not seen the photos on cigarette packets. 

And minimum of 50% would have died anyway? Where did you get those figures from.... That statement is just a disregard for life, heartless. 

Some people are best ignored. 

I don't know how much Sh t will hit how many fans but I agree with you about 3 weeks. Best case scenario is that'll be the peak so best case closure is probably 6 weeks. Even then it will not be business as normal but a gradual relaxing of some rules allowing partial re-opening. Anyone who thinks this will be 3 weeks is kidding themselves but obviously I hope they turn out to be right.

I suspect many restrictions will stay for the rest of the year and others will come and go as a further outbreak in the autumn is very likely if we beat this one.

11 hours ago, beenaroundtheblock said:

You are a right bundle of joy, aren't you?

I was one of the ones who knew it wouldn't be just the flu but FFS try and keep positive. 

Positive yes

Aware is more important I believe

Look around and see maybe 10% of the people think it's one big holiday,these are the people that we need to be aware of and keep a distance from,remember there aren't enough zafira to go round for all these 'types'

16 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Positive yes

Aware is more important I believe

Look around and see maybe 10% of the people think it's one big holiday,these are the people that we need to be aware of and keep a distance from,remember there aren't enough zafira to go round for all these 'types'

:lol:

Edited by have a word with the wife

9 hours ago, NoMargin said:

50% was the minimum. It was half to two thirds of people who will die from this would have died this year.

How is that a disregard for life? It is a fact.

The pictures on a packet of cigarettes, you would only see if you had purchased them. Do you know anyone who has purchased a pack of cigarettes and then not smoked them because they had looked at the pictures. Thought not.

Why is smoking legal? What purpose does it serve?

The Spanish and French Governments have put massive restrictions on travel and movement, but one of the very few reasons to go out is to visit the tobacconist.

That makes sense, don't get within 2 metres of anyone, but you can smoke.

As I have already said, my Mother In Law has terminal lung cancer, she has smoked all her life.

This virus won't even be close to the amount of deaths caused by smoking, but according to you 'it's a life style choice'.

Do you/ have you ever smoked?

13 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Be safe

Frightening times

Long time no post but seeing as I have time on my hands lol.

i have been told that the peak hitting the fan time is 14th of April. In Kent they are planning to turn the show ground into a makeshift hospital (no this is not from Dave from the 5 aside WhatsApp, I know people that work in local government)

Stay safe people and let’s hope everyone gets out the other side.

My decision to start trading may be forced as I handed my notice in as I had a buyers job the week before this went down and the new place cancelled the contract Doh

4 minutes ago, DCS01 said:

Long time no post but seeing as I have time on my hands lol.

i have been told that the peak hitting the fan time is 14th of April. In Kent they are planning to turn the show ground into a makeshift hospital (no this is not from Dave from the 5 aside WhatsApp, I know people that work in local government)

Stay safe people and let’s hope everyone gets out the other side.

My decision to start trading may be forced as I handed my notice in as I had a buyers job the week before this went down and the new place cancelled the contract Doh

i strongly recommend you watch martin lewis  on catch up from last night, heres why, your handed in notice can be withdrawn, your company can pay you 80% furlough, yes i know it sounds daft, but watch what he says , employers are put at ease with this, please watch, all the best.

Thank you. I did ask to withdraw, I’m not too proud. This all happened on Monday, I am waiting to hear back about the withdrawal from the HOB.  At the end of the day maybe this would be the catalyst for change? Who knows unchartered choppy waters! 

All the best to all of the self employed of you out there! 

14 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Be safe

Frightening times

Indeed. There are a lot of unattended premises at risk at the moment. I think the government's generosity is at least partly motivated by fear of social unrest.  I am semi-retired and although in the UK right now I do spend a chunk of the year in Thailand, where my wife and I own a couple of properties. There is not much of a social safety net over there and many workers live hand-to-mouth. There is a fear crime my take off and the police are not taking any chances...

8pm.jpg.837f152ba56f68bdcaea127335879529.jpg

news_dZZhnqbkNi072832_533.jpg.de0a7a28d7b01b8f31131aaa5365fbd1.jpg

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

50% was the minimum. It was half to two thirds of people who will die from this would have died this year.

How is that a disregard for life? It is a fact.

If you can't see how saying, minimum 50% will die "ANYWAY" then you need your head checking. 

"ANYWAY", to add to your facts, people who smoke choose to do so. 

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

Why is smoking legal? What purpose does it serve?

Why is alcohol and sugar legal? 

What purpose does it serve? What a silly questionh, I mean what purpose does shagging a woman in their arse serve?

Nope never smoked. 

I hope your staying in and only leaving your home if necessary! 

If it's any help I packed in smoking when they went to £2 a packet

Around the same time beer went to £1 a pint and I vowed to give that up too

I guess I'm not perfect as I still buy the beer stuff

Ha ha its 30 years since I cleared my throat and had a boredom cig because I hadn't seen a punter for hours:blink:

Edited by New year revolutions......

I think the point is the timescale.  If the extra illness and deaths caused by the virus were spread over, say, a year then the health and care services could cope. The crucial issue in a pandemic is that the disease spreads very rapidly so massive numbers become sick at the same time. Imagine if within a month several million people needed hospital treatment.  The NHS would collapse. And it wouldn't just be virus patients that would suffer. There would be no capacity to deal with heart attacks, strokes, accidents etc.

The OECD are estimating a 2% impact on GDP for each month of lockdown. If we need three months then that's a 6% hit. Its bad but a long way from catastrophic - its better than the alternative. 

2 hours ago, NoMargin said:

If you can't see how saying, minimum 50% will die "ANYWAY" then you need your head checking. 

"ANYWAY", to add to your facts, people who smoke choose to do so. 

Why is alcohol and sugar legal? 

What purpose does it serve? What a silly questionh, I mean what purpose does shagging a woman in their arse serve?

Nope never smoked. 

I hope your staying in and only leaving your home if necessary! 

Ok. Worst case scenario, you contract the virus, you get taken into hospital, but they have just given the last ventilator to someone who has destroyed their lungs by 'choosing' to smoke. You will obviously be ok with that? Is smoking a massive burden on the NHS? Yes. 

Alcohol serves no purpose nutritionally, but sugar is a carbohydrate that is used for energy.

Are you saying that people enjoy smoking?

Alcohol is as pointless as smoking, it would be a brave Government that banned that. But it is also a massive burden on the NHS.

Yes I am staying in, doing my daily exercise. I know that if there is one bed left and it's me or someone twice my size who smokes and drinks and hasn't looked after themselves, I'm more likely to get the bed.....

There you go, a positive message.

43 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

I think the point is the timescale.  If the extra illness and deaths caused by the virus were spread over, say, a year then the health and care services could cope. The crucial issue in a pandemic is that the disease spreads very rapidly so massive numbers become sick at the same time. Imagine if within a month several million people needed hospital treatment.  The NHS would collapse. And it wouldn't just be virus patients that would suffer. There would be no capacity to deal with heart attacks, strokes, accidents etc.

The OECD are estimating a 2% impact on GDP for each month of lockdown. If we need three months then that's a 6% hit. Its bad but a long way from catastrophic - its better than the alternative. 

This all correct, but a study says that if the economy contracts by more than 7% more people will die through poverty. 

This will not go on for too long, it cannot.

Unfortunately for the press, who are lapping this up, all the famous people who are catching it are not getting very ill. 

Apart from Linda Lucardi, who was at 'deaths door' a couple of days ago, but is now fine. There must be a lungs joke in there somewhere.

On a brighter note, Nextgear have frozen their funding.

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

Is smoking a massive burden on the NHS? Yes. 

Are you saying that people enjoy smoking? 

Yes I am staying in, doing my daily exercise. I know that if there is one bed left and it's me or someone twice my size who smokes and drinks and hasn't looked after themselves, I'm more likely to get the bed.....

Regards to the smoking my dad was diagnosed couple months back with stage 3 COPD, he won't listen, so he continues to smoke, with a horrific cough. He also continues to work delivering parcels. He actually has enough money in the coffer to stay at home, I've already warned him he will be seen as a burden and won't be priority. 

Your not wrong about the bed situation though, my aunt's  brother in law has contracted the virus in hospital, he went there because of arthritis, he's 50 and has special needs, which is probably costing government more money to care for him. He can see no family now. He was meant to be discharged yesterday but the doctor said he started coughing and his breathing is not good.The doctor said they will not be treating him in intensive care. No patients have masks on his ward.  They have now moved him to an isolation ward. 

Edited by NoMargin

11 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Imagine if within a month several million people needed hospital treatment.  The NHS would collapse

The reality is the NHS wont collapse, it will simply reach saturation point. There will be armed police or the army stood at the door and you will be turned away. I said at the start of this that those that got ill early in the pandemic will eventually be seen as the lucky ones.

28 minutes ago, CRW said:

The reality is the NHS wont collapse, it will simply reach saturation point. There will be armed police or the army stood at the door and you will be turned away. 

The NHS would indeed collapse by any reasonable definition of the word. Because if the virus were allowed a free run large numbers of NHS workers and workers in the supply chain would be sick at the same time. Even if you made it into hospital there would not be the staff and/or essential supplies to treat you. The majority of the population would have no health care.

I can say this with some authority because my youngest daughter is a biomedical scientist in the NHS. She does blood tests, tests on swabs etc.  Even BEFORE the virus her lab was at breaking point. Only about half the required number of staff (pay is pretty lousy) and often tests were delayed because they had run out of sample tubes and basic stuff like cotton wool swabs!  Her lab has PCR machines that can test for Corona but they don't have the basic consumables to run the tests - they are 'on order'. 

5 hours ago, CRW said:

.......... I said at the start of this that those that got ill early in the pandemic will eventually be seen as the lucky ones.

...... or the guinea pigs?