Just got to page 9 0f the Sunday times before articles about this little bit of flu have stopped

So obviously it's nothing to worry about,you guys are correct

It's a marketing ploy to sell bog rolls and paracetamol 

Thanks guys I feel so much better now

Ps my sister in law has been working extra hours this last two weeks on her ward

I guess she's really just doing it for the money

Toodle pips

3 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Just got to page 9 0f the Sunday times before articles about this little bit of flu have stopped

So obviously it's nothing to worry about,you guys are correct

It's a marketing ploy to sell bog rolls and paracetamol 

Thanks guys I feel so much better now

Ps my sister in law has been working extra hours this last two weeks on her ward

I guess she's really just doing it for the money

Toodle pips

Your enjoying this a but too much for my liking. Very odd behaviour but that's the internet for you.

Toodle pips indeed.

10 minutes ago, C B said:

That's it then. 

The news paper said it so it must be true. Fool. 

Why don't you take you hysteria elsewhere? They'd be all ears over at mumsnet.

You're either on a wind up or one big Labour supporting, sat in a corner shitting himself, loves to stir a bit of shit, vegan, scaremonger, general neutral, hysterical cheese string.

Either way. Your daily updates are far from welcome. 

I can't turn the bastard TV on, social media, or fucking anything without my eyes being assaulted by morons who haven't got a fucking clue what they're talking about. 

Hey

I paid £2.90 for the paper I dont want 9 pages of doom but that's what I got

I own my own business you need to wash your mouth out calling me a trot

You obviously do not run your own business with unforeseen future problems if you are not taking in that most of Europe has closed its borders due to this plaque 

It's an open forum so unless the moderators ask otherwise I will post that this coronavirus is affecting my business now right now today yesterday and tommorrow,so go get your brush and get those leaves swept up like a good council employee should ok?

Quite simple, if you are in contact with the public then you are at risk, that is us, end of.....................

Be nice to see on here instead of bickering, about how you are actually dealing with it, are you doing test drives with the unknown ? i believe lawgistics have issued a form that the customer signs before test drive stating they have not got coronavirus [ joke].

what steps are you taking to keep your business afloat ? [read back and you will see mine].

millions and millions will have to stay at home soon ? maybe you have made no plans, and cannot get out of your house because you cannot find the front door because its hidden by toilet rolls ?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

Quite simple, if you are in contact with the public then you are at risk, that is us, end of.....................

Be nice to see on here instead of bickering, about how you are actually dealing with it, are you doing test drives with the unknown ? i believe lawgistics have issued a form that the customer signs before test drive stating they have not got coronavirus [ joke].

what steps are you taking to keep your business afloat ? [read back and you will see mine].

millions and millions will have to stay at home soon ? maybe you have made no plans, and cannot get out of your house because you cannot find the front door because its hidden by toilet rolls ?

How would they even know if they had coronavirus, what a load of b@#!$+×s

Edited by beenaroundtheblock

22 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

You missed the point :rolleyes: they don't 

I never missed the point at all, if anything I was agreeing that it's ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, SEsteve said:

How’s sales been for everyone last couple of days?

Quiet but ticking over id say though that may change 

2 hours ago, SEsteve said:

How’s sales been for everyone last couple of days?

We have taken more back today than sold....

Had 2 appointments today and one had one already cancelled due to the current situation. 

Apart from that still getting some enquires in but am holding fire on buying stock atm unless stuff can be nicked. 

• Like 2

I buy very little normally at auction but yesterday I was surprised to see ex lease cars in the 10k-20k bracket pretty much all  making cap clean or even more....as if it was just business as usual!

Unless you really need stock would have thought it best to sit tight for at least the next couple of weeks to just see what happens.....whilst I appreciate its different from the last financial crisis anyone who remembers the turmoil that caused wont want to see it again.....   

• Like 2

On 3/2/2020 at 10:22 AM, Jack Regan said:

its only the flu... and only killing those that are waiting for the final nail in the coffin.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-bill-summary-of-impacts/coronavirus-bill-summary-of-impacts

1 hour ago .

Edited by have a word with the wife

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

Wow that was pretty sobering reading albeit on a scan and read of the main bits

The death certificate changes and the amount of deaths being considered is frankly frightening

To those that think it's still the flue in 15th century Britain you would have been seen as witches

I'm currently closed watched my premises all day,no one been near no phone calls and all adverts about to cease

Frightening times ahead

Seeing as we are all mandatory shut,or those of us complying at least are

I wonder if any who posted in this thread would now like to give a forum apology now that the sh I t

has hit the fan?

I wont mention names of course as I'm too much of a gentleman:lol:

3 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Seeing as we are all mandatory shut,or those of us complying at least are

I wonder if any who posted in this thread would now like to give a forum apology now that the sh I t

has hit the fan?

I wont mention names of course as I'm too much of a gentleman:lol:

Yes, I massively underestimated the effect of the reaction to this, didn't see this coming at all....

But, I still stand by the death statistics. 1700 a day die in this country, we are up to maybe 80-100 a day now, which I know will rise but is still a tiny amount compared to the amount of people killed by smoking each year.  Not sure i've ever seen you saying anything about smoking being bad for us all and how we should all stop immediately.

A minimum of 50% of these people would have died anyway this year.

The main point, which I heard from someone much clever than me on the news earlier, is that if the UK economy contracts by more than 7% because of the partial shutdown, more people will die through poverty, than will be killed through the virus.

So the choice is, vulnerable people who are elderly and have underlying health conditions, or vulnerable people who are poor and also the destruction of the economy.

I think we can all see what the Chinese government has saved, and what Trump wants to do so he can have the Churches packed full of people for Easter....

14 hours ago, Boycie said:

Yes, I massively underestimated the effect of the reaction to this, didn't see this coming at all....

But, I still stand by the death statistics. 1700 a day die in this country, we are up to maybe 80-100 a day now, which I know will rise but is still a tiny amount compared to the amount of people killed by smoking each year.  Not sure i've ever seen you saying anything about smoking being bad for us all and how we should all stop immediately.

The main point, which I heard from someone much clever than me on the news earlier, is that if the UK economy contracts by more than 7% because of the partial shutdown, more people will die through poverty, than will be killed through the virus.

So the choice is, vulnerable people who are elderly and have underlying health conditions, or vulnerable people who are poor and also the destruction of the economy.

I think we can all see what the Chinese government has saved, and what Trump wants to do so he can have the Churches packed full of people for Easter....

Before you belittle the consequences of this virus it maybe useful to listen to the accounts of the Spanish Dr’s working in a critical care environment. The accounts are of Medical Staff fighting and failing to save someone’s life only to turn around to find someone choking to death in the next bed and just having to watch them. 

Victims of this virus are not passing away peacefully surrounded by loved ones. It must be terrifying. It must be like dying in a war zone. The health service in every country operates a just in time policy and this tiny extra demand, as you allude to, means thousands of people are dying in horrific circumstances. 

15 hours ago, Boycie said:

When I was at school (best part of 50 years ago) we had a maths class about 'geometric progression'. The teacher told us a story about a wise man who went to work for a king. He asked to be paid each day in grains of rice on the squares of a chess board. On day 1 just 1 grain of rice. On day 2 put 2 grains of rice on the next square. On day 3 put 4 grains of rice. Every day doubling the number of grains of rice - 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and so on.  The king agreed. After 64 days (the number of squares on a chess board) the wise man was owed more than all the rice in the world and was able to take the king's kingdom from him.  That's geometric progression.

Corona virus spreads at the rate of about 2.5 new infections per infected person. That means one infected person could potentially lead to about 60000 infections after 10 days. Without lockdown this would lead to 70-80% of the population being infected - until herd immunity kicks in and the infection rate slows right down.  70% of 70 million people is around 50 million. If 10% need hospital then that's 5 million. If 2% die then that is 1.4 million deaths.  All happening over a couple of months. Unless you took radical action to slow things down you wouldn't be able to burn the bodies fast enough. This is way different to normal flu and doesn't remotely compare with smoking.

There is no way on Earth that Trump will open up by Easter. We are in for a long haul, 3 months lockdown and then restrictions for many more months until, hopefully, a vaccine is developed.

I said on a previous thread that 'failing to plan is planning to fail'. Back in January I read that some of the hardest hit businesses in China were car dealers because they were unable to trade and pay stocking loans. We started preparing about 4 weeks ago. Not buying anything and offloading cars where possible, maximising cash in the bank. We normally stock about 40 cars but now have just 11 cars at a covered secure storage site. Computers and anything of value removed from our premises. We spent quite a few days working on preparations for this and I think we can get through ok.

Edited by Halfpenny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Halfpenny said:

When I was at school (best part of 50 years ago) we had a maths class about 'geometric progression'. The teacher told us a story about a wise man who went to work for a king. He asked to be paid each day in grains of rice on the squares of a chess board. On day 1 just 1 grain of rice. On day 2 put 2 grains of rice on the next square. On day 3 put 4 grains of rice. Every day doubling the number of grains of rice - 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and so on.  The king agreed. After 64 days (the number of squares on a chess board) the wise man was owed more than all the rice in the world and was able to take the king's kingdom from him.  That's geometric progression.

Corona virus spreads at the rate of about 2.5 new infections per infected person. That means one infected person could potentially lead to about 60000 infections after 10 days. Without lockdown this would lead to 70-80% of the population being infected - until herd immunity kicks in and the infection rate slows right down.  70% of 70 million people is around 50 million. If 10% need hospital then that's 5 million. If 2% die then that is 1.4 million deaths.  All happening over a couple of months. Unless you took radical action to slow things down you wouldn't be able to burn the bodies fast enough. This is way different to normal flu and doesn't remotely compare with smoking.

There is no way on Earth that Trump will open up by Easter. We are in for a long haul, 3 months lockdown and then restrictions for many more months until, hopefully, a vaccine is developed.

I said on a previous thread that 'failing to plan is planning to fail'. Back in January I read that some of the hardest hit businesses in China were car dealers because they were unable to trade and pay stocking loans. We started preparing about 4 weeks ago. Not buying anything and offloading cars where possible, maximising cash in the bank. We normally stock about 40 cars but now have just 11 cars at a covered secure storage site. Computers and anything of value removed from our premises. We spent quite a few days working on preparations for this and I think we can get through ok.

All your figures maybe accurate, but they are not really applicable here as we have movement restrictions in place, which for the moment we can all agree is the correct thing to do.

Trump says anything that comes into his mind, I am not defending him.

One thing I hate is the use of the phrase 'lockdown'.  This is not a 'lockdown'.

You are correct, this is not comparable to smoking as smoking is killing many more people every day.

The death rate halved yesterday, I am sure it will rise again today, and continue to rise over the next couple of weeks, but the massive problem with this virus is the fact that anyone who ends up in hospital needs help to breathe and we are short of machines that help this.

I'm not saying this isn't serious, but consider this.

My Mother-In-Law is in her 80s, she only stopped smoking when she was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. She is not being treated for her cancer. If she contracts this virus, she will undoubtedly die, it is unlikely that the NHS will even try to treat her because of her condition.  The press will say that the virus killed her. Did it?

Things like obesity and smoking are major factors in the outcome of this, is Piers Morgan banging on about us all getting fit?

• Like 1

Brilliant post halfpenny I did  similar as best I could

The funny thing is the government are trying to sell us this ponzi scheme of numbers but if we did a similar thing they would do the math and send us to jail:lol:

8 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Brilliant post halfpenny I did  similar as best I could

The funny thing is the government are trying to sell us this ponzi scheme of numbers but if we did a similar thing they would do the math and send us to jail:lol:

I don't really understand what this means.

Are you saying that the Government are underestimating this?

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I don't really understand what this means.

Are you saying that the Government are underestimating this?

No mate

A ponzi scheme is where you get friends to buy a product at an inflated price

They then get their friends to do the same

And so on

The govt are saying that for each person defying the locking  they are selling their product to others

So it's just like a govt ponzi scheme

Sorry I was just trying to make light of a terrible situation

Day 3 here,bored bored boredbored,I've never done nothing for a minimum of 3 weeks since about 1973 and that was the school holidays,in 1974 while still at school I got a summer job in a factory sweeping up so I could buy some amstrad lo fi