James Baggott

Online only dealer Cazoo’s ambitious plans revealed

I live in a village in the middle of nowhere, I take my cars down a country lane to do the pictures. 

Anyway, bare with me on this..... 

Was going down there today and what did I find.... A Cazoo Transporter!!! 

Curiousity took the better of me so I stopped for a chat with the driver.  I opened with the line, "Hello, I've seen you advertising on the TV, How are things going? "

Now he did seem to have swallowed the company handbook but this is what he said..... 

We are SO busy..... 

We've taken on another 32 drivers who have started the 2 week training course today. 

We've sold 1000 cars in 3 months, better than any expectations. 

We are not even fully staffed yet. 

About 5% of the cars get returned which is in line with expectations. 

Not sure whether to believe him or not but here's the best bit.... 

So I said "You just delivering this one then?" 

And he said.... "No, collecting it!!!!!!" 

1 hour ago, Frankieola said:

I live in a village in the middle of nowhere, I take my cars down a country lane to do the pictures. 

Anyway, bare with me on this..... 

Was going down there today and what did I find.... A Cazoo Transporter!!! 

Curiousity took the better of me so I stopped for a chat with the driver.  I opened with the line, "Hello, I've seen you advertising on the TV, How are things going? "

Now he did seem to have swallowed the company handbook but this is what he said..... 

We are SO busy..... 

We've taken on another 32 drivers who have started the 2 week training course today. 

We've sold 1000 cars in 3 months, better than any expectations. 

We are not even fully staffed yet. 

About 5% of the cars get returned which is in line with expectations. 

Not sure whether to believe him or not but here's the best bit.... 

So I said "You just delivering this one then?" 

And he said.... "No, collecting it!!!!!!" 

Ha Classic.

Ill quiz the gatekeeper at  our local BCA tomorrow to see how many times they have to let them in/out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

Ha Classic.

Ill quiz the gatekeeper at  our local BCA tomorrow to see how many times they have to let them in/out.

Bet its company policy to say there always busy infact theres a lot of them types at my local auctions lol

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

Sound like the driver was reading all that off a crib sheet? Especially all the stats? Usually when you ask a lorry driver “how’s it going” you’ll get a traffic report?

17 minutes ago, metcars said:

Sound like the driver was reading all that off a crib sheet? Especially all the stats? Usually when you ask a lorry driver “how’s it going” you’ll get a traffic report?

Yes or a weather report about poor driving conditions  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casper said:

Bet its company policy to say there always busy infact theres a lot of them types at my local auctions lol

It should be your policy to always praise how you are doing

If you used to appear at the auction in the doldrums the traders would come round like crows picking at you  so I  was always busy when asked ,it puts them on a downer and then they used to buy my sh t  I'd entered

Happy days......:D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

If you used to appear at the auction in the doldrums the traders would come round like crows picking at you  so I  was always busy when asked ,it puts them on a downer and then they used to buy my sh t  I'd entered

Thanks for the advice  Yeah I guess you are right there  :D to be fair I guess it's not just the motor trade but every trade its good business practice when you think about it 

normally my answer is doing ok or getting a turn I always have kept my cards closed to my chest . Never say if I was quiet or busy 

always like to see fellow traders doing well 

All the best . 

Edited by Casper

1 hour ago, New year revolutions...... said:

When I was very young and learning the job,a few of the dealers from up the street ( all flash guys )would call in after work.I recall being fascinated sitting in a corner in overalls earwhigging all their chat this night and whatever anyone said another would have a better deal or story.One the guys was known as Top Cat,immaculately dressed in a dark suit,white shirt and tie,looked the part and had a big cigar.( car dealers dressed like that ).After awhile Top Cat announced he was going home to have dinner,nothing special just Venison and a bottle of Chablis,I was impressed.Sometime later I found out he lived on a local council estate. !

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

When I was very young and learning the job,a few of the dealers from up the street ( all flash guys )would call in after work.I recall being fascinated sitting in a corner in overalls earwhigging all their chat this night and whatever anyone said another would have a better deal or story.One the guys was known as Top Cat,immaculately dressed in a dark suit,white shirt and tie,looked the part and had a big cigar.( car dealers dressed like that ).After awhile Top Cat announced he was going home to have dinner,nothing special just Venison and a bottle of Chablis,I was impressed.Sometime later I found out he lived on a local council estate. !

Love it Think We have all known or met a top cat or two in the day lol . 

Edited by Casper

14 hours ago, Casper said:

Some people work harder than others and are always busy, some people do half a job and put in little effort and wonder why they are always quiet, and some people just talk utter bollocks :lol:

40 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Some people work harder than others and are always busy, some people do half a job and put in little effort and wonder why they are always quiet, and some people just talk utter bollocks :lol:

Very true i know one guy who is always busy yet everysingle time i meet him hes at the local garage chatting to the office girls took 3 mots in one day and he was still there when i left after picking up the 3rd one which i guess puts him in the later cat and he is there chatting most Days as a one man band . 

Edited by Casper

29 minutes ago, TheWraith said:

220'000 cars sold in 1 year... let that sink in

That's their target for 2025.  For 2020 their target is 12300.  For 2021 target is 24000 From what I have heard from my trusted contacts they have got off to a good start.  Time will tell. With Corona virus and stock market collapse, possible recession, it is likely to be an uphill battle.

Ive just heard that on their 1000th car sold, they gave the bastard away!

They refunded their customer £10,950! for publicity!

I’m pondering how Zoopla make money, they don’t actually sell houses do they?

Cazoo is actually selling cars so his previous sucesss running an online showroom that makes money from advertising isn’t so relevant here.

I wish Mr Chesterman well, I think he’s doing a great job of hoodwinking investors out of their money. 

35 minutes ago, CCC said:

I’m pondering how Zoopla make money, they don’t actually sell houses do they?

Autotrader don't sell cars, but seem to make quite a lot of money.

Edited by Halfpenny

3 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Autotrader don't sell cars, but seem to make quite a lot of money.

Sorry, it  was a scarcastic comment aimed at the fact that Zoopla is AT, not a retailer

Cazoo business model is far more complicated than Zoopla. 

I would say Rightmove is AT and Zoopla is any one of the others. I bet estate agents are equally pissed at Rightmoves pricing as dealers are at AT's.

32 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I would say Rightmove is AT and Zoopla is any one of the others. I bet estate agents are equally pissed at Rightmoves pricing as dealers are at AT's.

You are right Mark.I recently enquired about putting a commercial property on Rightmove .They wanted a grand per month and would not budge.

14 hours ago, C B said:

I always assumed Zoopla and Rightmove were the motors.co.uk and Autotrader of the property industry?

Zoopla were a lot quicker to make a revenue making website as they offered links to more direct services such as mortgages, insurance, surveys etc with their USP being about the process.  Personally I think Rightmove is superior as it’s less fussy.

11 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

Cazoo has raised a further £100 million to boost its online car retail ambitions .

New kid on the block in april "carzam" 

Cazoo,£100m funding,sold 20,000 cars in 3 months,while at the same time they have issued a brief statement that their Chief Financial Officer has left the company and won’t be replaced ?

16 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Cazoo,£100m funding,sold 20,000 cars in 3 months,while at the same time they have issued a brief statement that their Chief Financial Officer has left the company and won’t be replaced ?

Look up the suits putting their wonga in:)