beckly car sales

Legal action against AT price indicators

Are there any dealers out there to help organise a group and chip in to seek legal advice with a view to taking legal action against Autotrader. In my view it cannot be legal for any company to pass judgement and value a secondhand item especially one that they have not physically seen. There must be something we can do. Looking for people that are motivated. Please let me know your thoughts

Edited by beckly car sales

15 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

Are there any dealers out there to help organise a group and chip in to seek legal advice with a view to taking legal action against Autotrader. In my view it cannot be legal for any company to pass judgement and value a secondhand item especially one that they have not physically seen. There must be something we can do. Looking for people that are motivated. Please let me know your thoughts

Seriously..... It would be thrown out, if AT want price indicators that's their prerogative. If you don't like it stop advertising with them. No offence intended

Edited by Arfur Dealy

1 minute ago, beckly car sales said:

do you know that for a fact? if so why do tell

Common sense...... They are offering a product, you don't HAVE to buy it..... 

7 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Seriously..... It would be thrown out, if AT want price indicators that's their prerogative. If you don't like it stop advertising with them. No offence intended

ok i get it your not up for exploring the possibilty we maybe able to do something about it. No offence taken mate

1 minute ago, beckly car sales said:

ok i get it your not up for exploring the possibilty we maybe able to do something about it. No offence taken mate

With respect, what do you think a judge would say........ If you don't like how the adverting medium you use has changed their focus, simply use another......  You would then lose and have to pay ALL of their costs.... Its a ridiculous idea.....  

Err i was questioning the legality of their practise? In which case its either malpractise or not, a question of law, and if its not legal or against trading standards theres no judge in the land that would bend the rules for them regardless

I can take your view on board , and i agree they are an afront to any sense we can think about , as to if its illegal I'm afraid I don't see that going anywhere really . 

Its very much like me posting that your stock is either over priced or under priced . The customer that reads my description can agree or disagree cant they but they cant stop me saying it and neither can you . 

We are looking at the possibility of NOT using Autotrader for our advertising , very carefully plotting every sale we make as to where that sale was tracked and found . 

This month we have sold 19 cars to date and out of 19 AT tracker calls have called on only 8 , 11 others came from Google . So the tide might indeed be turning because as each and every year that passes a new generation comes live on the car hunt and they have different ideas where to find cars . 

Not many 17 yrs olds even know what Autotrader is nowdays . Its all Google , Face book , and more Social Media . 

As take action I'm afraid my path is to find new ways to sell that doesn't include Autotrader or Car Guru 

ok so not much support on here which is fine i wanted to gauge if anyone agreed that putting a price indicator on an individual unique secondhand item was legally questionable or not.I personally think it is and will get in touch with trading standards when i get back in 10 days and post what they say. Has anyone else taken advice on this??

4 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

I can take your view on board , and i agree they are an afront to any sense we can think about , as to if its illegal I'm afraid I don't see that going anywhere really . 

Its very much like me posting that your stock is either over priced or under priced . The customer that reads my description can agree or disagree cant they but they cant stop me saying it and neither can you . 

We are looking at the possibility of NOT using Autotrader for our advertising , very carefully plotting every sale we make as to where that sale was tracked and found . 

This month we have sold 19 cars to date and out of 19 AT tracker calls have called on only 8 , 11 others came from Google . So the tide might indeed be turning because as each and every year that passes a new generation comes live on the car hunt and they have different ideas where to find cars . 

Not many 17 yrs olds even know what Autotrader is nowdays . Its all Google , Face book , and more Social Media . 

As take action I'm afraid my path is to find new ways to sell that doesn't include Autotrader or Car Guru 

Becky, AT don't consider us to be their customers, we are their bitches and are being used in their ultimate plan to control and manipulate the use car market. They are controlling our profit. The only way to stop them is not use them.... 

i agree to that they have properly fucked me. I started last summer after being out the game 35 years and they led me up the garden path telling me i was buying wrong cars etc take this desirability app and you'll do okay so i clear my stock and buy sought after cars in my area in then they bring in the indicators.Fucking spot on AT

I'm getting the feeling that AT and the car supermarkets are the same animal

3 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Spot on David. I agree with you.

In fact Mr C Penny from Autotrader actually replied to me on car sales FB that the price markers are here to stay, and if you don't like or agree with them, simply leave.....So I took his advice and actually gave in my notice after 22+ years. Maybe if everyone did this they may sit up and take notice.

As for the tide turning, this has definately been happening with us the past year or 2. Less and less from autotrader and more and more through google, organic searches etc. Fortunately we also have passing trade and repeat, but the passing trade is a big percentage of sales for us as there has been a site here for donkeys years which most locals know about.

10 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

I beleive that this is the precise reason autotrader have introduced the price markers. Its to capture and retain all the younger generation (18-28) that they have been losing the past few years, by appealing to them and demonstrating with use of the price markers that somehow autotrader are 'The Go To Place' and are 'on their side guiding them through their car buying journey'.....All at the trades expense of course!

3 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

ok so not much support on here which is fine i wanted to gauge if anyone agreed that putting a price indicator on an individual unique secondhand item was legally questionable or not.I personally think it is and will get in touch with trading standards when i get back in 10 days and post what they say. Has anyone else taken advice on this??

For a start you won't be able to speak to TS...... This is an interesting question, I see your perspective.... 

3 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

For a start you won't be able to speak to TS...... This is an interesting question, I see your perspective.... 

compare the market principles for identical objects in exactly the same condition is normal.But every single secondhand car is completely unique, and as it has not been physically inspected by AT how can they value it?

Just now, SC Derby said:

It’s just a guide like cap etc ?

should they be banned aswell

WBAC similarly 

but its not a guide, they say the car is overpriced. that is not a guide and is clearly worded as a valuation

2 hours ago, beckly car sales said:

but its not a guide, they say the car is overpriced. that is not a guide and is clearly worded as a valuation

BCS. I admire your passion,  but you’re much better off putting your energy into your business.

Bollocks to Autoraper. You’ll survive without the robbers- just like plenty of us have already. 

Put your passion, energy, and focus and (some) of your budget into other platforms and, importantly, SEO work, Facebook etc. Look at diversification so you have a few bases covered stock wise. 

You can’t argue with a fool, and AT are the biggest morons out there-  but they are laughing all the way to the bank of course. This will continue whilst so many keep supporting the bastards without being able to rip off the Band Aid.

Lastly, as above: AT do not consider you/us as their customers. There’s no point deluding yourself that they do. 

Edited by NOACROSS
  • Thanks 1

Can you imagine trying to sue AT.They would probably retain barrister Geoffrey Cox MP,QC .He allegedly bills a grand per hour ? Did anyone see him shame Labour into agreeing to the election.He got sacked last week as Attorney General probably as a favour !

thanks for the input. If there was any doubt that their indicators were legally questionable on a point of law then you wouldn't support action against them. I will contact trading standards and anyone else i can think of and post any findings, I'm getting the impression people have given in to the giant and have no fight in them, like AT are god.

8 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

thanks for the input. If there was any doubt that their indicators were legally questionable on a point of law then you wouldn't support action against them. I will contact trading standards and anyone else i can think of and post any findings, I'm getting the impression people have given in to the giant and have no fight in them, like AT are god.

Why fight the hand that feeds you. As soon as they find out what you are trying to do you’ll be banned. If you don’t like it then hand your notice in. 

the way its going, and price indicator method of AT and car gurus you will turn around in 15 years and the independants will be gone. Car supermarkets and AT etc all one. If it hasn't already happened.

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Why fight the hand that feeds you. As soon as they find out what you are trying to do you’ll be banned. If you don’t like it then hand your notice in. 

i did, just place a few paid up front ads whilst i try to find a way to survive.

9 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

Trading Standards is for punters.I think it is the Competition and Markets Authority you would need to contact.I think there is more chance of Man City getting relegated like Saracens for cheating.

1 minute ago, trade vet said:

Trading Standards is for punters.I think it is the Competition and Markets Authority you would need to contact.I think there is more chance of Man City getting relegated like Saracens for cheating.

well at least ill have had a go.thanks for info regarding trading standards ill see what it brings.

5 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

the way its going, and price indicator method of AT and car gurus you will turn around in 15 years and the independants will be gone. Car supermarkets and AT etc all one. If it hasn't already happened.

So is the plan to also take legal action against Cargurus?

4 minutes ago, Row said:

So is the plan to also take legal action against Cargurus?

the plan is to establish if you can legally apply compare the market method on new items to secondhand items. read back

Edited by beckly car sales