Dealer D

Customer right to reject

Hi all,

Have you ever been asked by a buyer, prior to purchase, to extend the 30 day right to reject period?

I’d be really grateful if a number of you could just reply to this question with a yes or a no and then maybe, if you have time, what your reaction would be or has been - Also if you could say if you are an independent or a dealership would help.

We are being taken to court, despite doing everything by the book, and I think your responses could be relevant in helping us to prove something to the court.

Will happily explain all later (if anyone cares) but hoping for some genuine unbiased answers first.

Please help!

Thanks.

Edited by Dealer D
Spelling

Independent Dealer.

Not a chance I would extend a right to reject. I offer a proper self funded warranty for 3 months and stand by it. Besides tyres, I cover everything.

That said, I have just chased someone away on a £1900 banger advertised brutally as such and £1,000 below retail because his first question was “what warranty does the car come with? I know you have to give 3 months by law and I have a garage local to me that I want to use should the need arise.”

Car will leave with a new MOT, 3 new tyres and will be safe. There will be no faults present other than those non safety related faults noted.

I educated him and he left.

50 minutes ago, Dealer D said:

Hi all,

Have you ever been asked by a buyer, prior to purchase, to extend the 30 day right to reject period?

I’d be really grateful if a number of you could just reply to this question with a yes or a no and then maybe, if you have time, what your reaction would be or has been - Also if you could say if you are an independent or a dealership would help.

We are being taken to court, despite doing everything by the book, and I think your responses could be relevant in helping us to prove something to the court.

Will happily explain all later (if anyone cares) but hoping for some genuine unbiased answers first.

Please help!

Thanks.

Hi, please introduce yourself and explain your case, what happened etc. You will get a lot of sound advice from very experienced guys here..... AD

Effectively the customer is asking you to re-write the law. 

No ta.

Happy to honour my obligations under the actual law. Warranty provided over and above.

And that’s that really 

Never been asked,

'No'' would be the response ,because I'd be suspicious of their motive.

As SC says, happy to honour my obligations, and at times more.

14 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Hi, please introduce yourself and explain your case, what happened etc. You will get a lot of sound advice from very experienced guys here..... AD

Hi AD, Thanks for your interest and comments, they are appreciated. I really do however need to keep this unbiased and therefore confidential until the case is over. It won't be long and happy to share details then.

12 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

no, and independent dealer, the 30 day protects us as well as them, why give away your rights, full details on case please :)

Thanks for comments, they're appreciated. Will fill in details on the case when its over as can't have any bias in any further responses.

14 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Nope no extension at all.

Love to hear the full story behind this.

Thanks for comments, they're appreciated. Will fill in details on the case when its over as can't have any bias in any further responses.

15 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

no i wouldnt extend

its to give consumers time to settle in to their purchase and confirm it works as required

to ask for an extension would say to me the customer is a future screamer

We appreciate the comments. Thanks.

14 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Independent Dealer.

Not a chance I would extend a right to reject. I offer a proper self funded warranty for 3 months and stand by it. Besides tyres, I cover everything.

That said, I have just chased someone away on a £1900 banger advertised brutally as such and £1,000 below retail because his first question was “what warranty does the car come with? I know you have to give 3 months by law and I have a garage local to me that I want to use should the need arise.”

Car will leave with a new MOT, 3 new tyres and will be safe. There will be no faults present other than those non safety related faults noted.

I educated him and he left.

14 hours ago, EPV said:

Effectively the customer is asking you to re-write the law. 

No ta.

14 hours ago, Tony911 said:

Not a chance would send them on their way and not entertain customers like that

14 hours ago, sellect2 said:

No never been asked 

would not extend as it’s the law- so no need to. 

14 hours ago, Casper said:

No and don't do it 

14 hours ago, SC Derby said:

Happy to honour my obligations under the actual law. Warranty provided over and above.

And that’s that really 

13 hours ago, Tim H said:

Never been asked,

'No'' would be the response ,because I'd be suspicious of their motive.

As SC says, happy to honour my obligations, and at times more.

20 minutes ago, Dealer D said:

Hi AD, Thanks for your interest and comments, they are appreciated. I really do however need to keep this unbiased and therefore confidential until the case is over. It won't be long and happy to share details then.

Ok, I appreciate your stance. Best of luck :)

You could say to the customer

Dear Customer,

Does your dick touch your arse? 

Yes

Well go and fuck yourself then.

Warm Regards,

Dealer D B)

Not a customer to sell a car too .

Answer to your question is NO to extending 30 day return . 

Action should of been , " Mate go bother someone else if that's how you feel " 

6 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

You could say to the customer

Dear Customer,

Does your dick touch your arse? 

Yes

Well go and fuck yourself then.

Warm Regards,

Dealer D B)

:lol::lol: 

What on earth is wrong with just telling a punter like them to ‘Fuck off’?

7 minutes ago, BHM said:

because having an arson attack on ones property always leads one to be careful what one says to future twats

remember they know who you are and where your business is,you only have a slight remembrance and a long lost phone number

just sayin.............

Your right in your situation.. I would just say sorry it can't be extended as it's not our company policy . As we just stick to 30 days consumer rights .

41 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

because having an arson attack on ones property always leads one to be careful what one says to future twats

remember they know who you are and where your business is,you only have a slight remembrance and a long lost phone number

just sayin.............

Edited by Casper

By extending their right to reject you may be actually denying them their Statutory Rights.

The Right to Reject means the customer has to prove the fault was present at the time of sale. Whereas after 30 days it is presumed to be present unless the seller can prove otherwise.

So by extending it, to say 60 days, the customer will therefore have to prove it was there for the extra 30 days instead of making the supplier prove it wasn’t.

Whether a fault develops after a week or 7 if it wasn’t there at point of sale then it makes no difference.

The only other real difference after the 30 days is the right to repair.

Edited by David Ayers
  • Like 1

Mr Customer, like how we cannot remove your 30 day right to reject, we cannot extend it. It's the law and it is how it is.

Edited by Mojo121
spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BHM said:

This. 

twats like the one giving Dealer D this grief probably gave a lot of warning signals off. we all need to start fucking them off. They're not worth the agg.

15 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

we all need to start fucking them off. They're not worth the agg.

So so true. You’d have to be absolutely fucking desperate, or stupid, to contemplate dealing with someone who is already thinking of bouncing the car back before they’ve even bought it. 

• Like 1