Sign in to follow this  
the old novice

Trade plate holders?

My trade plates finally arrived today.Im wondering what you guys are using to display them?

1.wedged in dash with a rag?

2,suction cups?

3,trade plates in a housing with rubber straps(might be better if the rozzers stop the car then at least i can fix them outside the car)?

4, clip on brackets over existing number plate to allow trade plates to be displayed clearly,directly below existing reg plate.Although i would guess that there are quite a few cars with recessed plates that will make this impossible.

A ever your thought and ideas are welcome.

ps,as this is my 25th post i will be in the lounge soon,where hopefully there will be a monster piss up ongoing!

Mine are usually left on the shelf as I always forget to use them. 

The rare occasion I remember they sit on the dash and inside rear screen. 

Or if I’m driving something a bit hooky then I cable tie them over the originals.

All above though is probably the opposite of how your actually meant to do things.

39 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Mine are usually left on the shelf as I always forget to use them. 

The rare occasion I remember they sit on the dash and inside rear screen. 

Or if I’m driving something a bit hooky then I cable tie them over the originals.

All above though is probably the opposite of how your actually meant to do things.

Agreed and agreed

15 hours ago, the old novice said:

My trade plates finally arrived today.Im wondering what you guys are using to display them?

1.wedged in dash with a rag?

2,suction cups?

3,trade plates in a housing with rubber straps(might be better if the rozzers stop the car then at least i can fix them outside the car)?

4, clip on brackets over existing number plate to allow trade plates to be displayed clearly,directly below existing reg plate.Although i would guess that there are quite a few cars with recessed plates that will make this impossible.

A ever your thought and ideas are welcome.

ps,as this is my 25th post i will be in the lounge soon,where hopefully there will be a monster piss up ongoing!

just throw them on the front  dash and on the parcel shelf in the back:lol:

I clip on brackets over the number plate, find it to be the right option. As you said, the plates are clearly displayed like this, just seems like the best option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidP_TT said:

I clip on brackets over the number plate, find it to be the right option. As you said, the plates are clearly displayed like this, just seems like the best option.

New rules say we should display both the trade number and the cars reg 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 9:17 AM, NacMan said:

just throw them on the front  dash and on the parcel shelf in the back:lol:

+1

• Like 1

I just chuck them on the passenger seat "when I remember to pick them up", only been pulled once about 15 years ago, copper was cool, he checked to make sure I was insured and that the plates were legit with DVLA, got a telling off but that was it. I think you are more likely to be pulled with them in the window.....

Also, I once had a plate slide across the dash and nearly get stuck in my steering wheel....... be warned...

Edited by Arfur Dealy

15 hours ago, David Horgan said:

New rules say we should display both the trade number and the cars reg 

About three weeks ago I received letter S46 from the DVLA regarding an untaxed car. I completed the rear of this, ‘Your Statement’, advising them of my trade plate no. & that the trade plates were in the window.

I was ‘let off’ when I received what looks like a standard letter, 29TPNFA, saying they confirmed I was in possession of a valid trade licence but also advised me to familiarise myself ‘with the correct use of your trade licence’ etc. etc. 

It’ll be interesting to see whether or not trade plate holders/users are automatically let off as the same day I received the letter letting me off, I received another S46 for another car.

The thing is, letter 29TPNFA refers me to www.gov.uk/trade-licence-plates & unless I’m mistaken, I cannot see any reference whatsoever to how trade plates should be used.

Edited by BHM

1 hour ago, BHM said:

About three weeks ago I received letter S46 from the DVLA regarding an untaxed car. I completed the rear of this, ‘Your Statement’, advising them of my trade plate no. & that the trade plates were in the window.

I sold an ML 3 weeks ago with really dark privacy glass (B Pillar back). The customer contacted me saying it was being driven without tax the day before he collected it, which he has explained to DVLA and let me know what he was doing. Nice guy, only going to say that he bought it the day after the offence to see if they "give up."

I racked my brains and recalled sending my valet to collect from the wheel refurbishers, trade plates in front and rear window (the rear which can barely be seen through from outside).

I shall copy your example Mark if and when the inevitable letter arrives.

Why didn't it come up for no insurance though? It was a stock car so not on the MID. I would be more focused on uninsured than untaxed.

Edited by Mark101

I will probably use suction pads   to place the trade plates inside the car.top of windscreen .One of my concerns is that if i encounter a jobsworth who starts spouting off about rules and regs. I've actually had  a  visit in our haulage yard from the DVSA who issued us with a PG9 ,which is a roadside prohibition ...........or 'crime' was for  the wagon driver having a number plate with his name on it,it was placed against the windscreen at the back of the clocks.Apparently part of the plate was in the sweep area of the wiper arc , the DVSA said it was causing restricted vision,driver removed the number plate ,we were then issued with a PG10  which then allowed us to carry on with our days work. Very annoying and very petty .I would  hazard a guess that the same rule could also be used against a car driver with plates in the window.Just a thought...........

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Why didn't it come up for no insurance though? It was a stock car so not on the MID. I would be more focused on uninsured than untaxed.

I enter all of my cars onto the MID. Tbh though it wouldn’t matter as road tax is the DVLA’s concern, not the Police’s and vice versa for insurance.

Although I guess both the Police & DVLA could access the ANPR records for their own purposes?

I really dont understand why motor traders want to be respected as legitimate business people but daily want to flout the law on trade plate placement,ok some cars are a problem but most are not,mine are the old aluminium  ones too so weigh a fair bit more than the modern plasticky pastiche ones so no excuse,also it is an offence to use those copies advertised on a well known site

Just saying....things like compliance were never a motor traders first thought