Sign in to follow this  
15Cars

Private plate advice please

Morning All

I've got a part exchange arriving tomorrow with a private plate on it which the customer wants back. Should I first put the vehicle in trade then apply to get it removed or do it whilst the V5 is still in the customer's name?

Many thanks

The V5 has to remain in the customers name. He will receive a new log book bearing a new (probably the original) number plate. At this point you put it into trade.

Take a £200 deposit otherwise your customer WILL drag their heels in returning the new log book.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

The V5 has to remain in the customers name. He will receive a new log book bearing a new (probably the original) number plate. At this point you put it into trade.

Take a £200 deposit otherwise your customer WILL drag their heels in returning the new log book.

Nice one Mark, cheers 

26 minutes ago, 15Cars said:

Nice one Mark, cheers 

Both cars need to be taxed to a) remove from the existing car and b) to assign to the new car.

We do lots of cherished transfers, for speed and simplicity I'd suggest you tell the customer to go online and put his number on retention. This costs him £80.

He then automatically gets the retention certificate and a new V5 back normally within 7 days.

When he gets the V5 back for the car he's bought from you - he can simply transfer it across (as the retention Cert & his car are both in the same name)... 

Anything else means you end up posting the application and change of ownership to the the DVLA , which at present are taking about 10 days to turn around - but stand the risk that they will find something they are not happy with, and end up returning it to you, to start all over again......

30 minutes ago, Rose02218 said:

Hi! I think everything should be accountable. This is necessary to deduct the tax in the right way and to avoid misunderstandings in the further sale

I agree..... 

WTF are you on about? 

33 minutes ago, Rose02218 said:

Hi! I think everything should be accountable. This is necessary to deduct the tax in the right way and to avoid misunderstandings in the further sale

I think you you should be accountable so we know what the be jesus your bloody on about . What a dopey comment to put on a forum :blink: