Sign in to follow this  
MrV

Technical help... C3 wiper fault

Afternoon all, just bought a 2010 C3 and it's wipers are driving me mad. On journey home both front and rear washer jets worked OK but front wipers were spazzing out, on each speed they kept doing about 4 cycles then they'd stop in the middle of the screen, to get going again I'd have to switch speed via the stalk. 

Told garage who said they'd check... Plenum chamber was so full of water the wiper motor was more or less submerged so he took motor apart which seemed to fix it as wipers worked fine on all speeds, however the front washer jets randomly stopped working. Garage swapped washer jet hoses around so back did not work but front did. 

I've just collected the car and the front washer jets now don't work but back does, and high speed setting on wipers doesn't work properly. 

Has anyone ever experienced this with a shitroen? 

Could be as simple as corrosion inside the motor due to being submerged in water or could be more serious issues like a body control module but I’d get your mechanic to start with the easiest route first.

46 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Could be as simple as corrosion inside the motor due to being submerged in water or could be more serious issues like a body control module but I’d get your mechanic to start with the easiest route first.

This'll be a DIY fix Mark spent enough on it already, for me it's either motor or the com2000 unit because currently the rear wash jet activates at the front not the back and the high speed front does not work :(

31 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Couldn’t perhaps the pipes at pump be on the wrong way? 

Possibly I'll double check but then if they were, the front wouldn't activate correctly when the stalk is pulled 

Edited by MrV

3 hours ago, MrV said:

This'll be a DIY fix Mark spent enough on it already, for me it's either motor or the com2000 unit because currently the rear wash jet activates at the front not the back and the high speed front does not work :(

We had a problem with an old 206CC a while back and I found a guy online who could refurb the com2000 unit at a pretty reasonable price. I'll try and find him again and forward you the details if you need them.

Benji, get yourself a cheap circuit tester, get the plug off the washer pump and see what it’s doing when you activate the switch for the front and rear washers. 

surely a second hand wiper motor will be cheap for one? 

and the washer pumps are pennies for a new one. 

Forget the stalk (com2000000 jobby) for now, but don’t forget the bsi :ph34r:

Edited by Stalker

7 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Benji, get yourself a cheap circuit tester, get the plug off the washer pump and see what it’s doing when you activate the switch for the front and rear washers. 

surely a second hand wiper motor will be cheap for one? 

and the washer pumps are pennies for a new one. 

Forget the stalk (com2000000 jobby) for now, but don’t forget the bsi :ph34r:

Thanks chaps, apparently garage fitted a new washer pump yesterday??!! I'll check tomorrow, ordered a motor today from a 17 ds3 £130 :angry: 

I reset the BSI today but that'll be next port of call. I could just blank off the rear wiper and advise high speed doesn't work but how "dealer from Bradford" is that :P

Hi, the park switch inside the motor will be playing up. If the Bsi doesn't get a repeated signal from it, it shuts the motor down mid cycle it thinks the motors seized /frozen. Sometimes even with the new motor on you still have to clear the codes in the BSi. Had the motors burn out the engine fusebox numerous time on these with people trying to power the motor still connected for testing. 

Evening chaps, still struggling with these washers, I've fitted a new motor which solves the intermittent and wiper speed issue but I'm still experiencing the same issues with the washer jets, even after fitting a new pump. The front washers work correctly but when I try and activate the rear window jets the fronts come on, even if I swap the pipes around only the fronts work, any ideas? 

@Stalker

38 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Wire the fronts on to a separate button for a quick fix 

I'm thinking of either connecting a T piece or simply blanking the rear off, fookin things it's already up for sale 

1 hour ago, MrV said:

Evening chaps, still struggling with these washers, I've fitted a new motor which solves the intermittent and wiper speed issue but I'm still experiencing the same issues with the washer jets, even after fitting a new pump. The front washers work correctly but when I try and activate the rear window jets the fronts come on, even if I swap the pipes around only the fronts work, any ideas? 

@Stalker

Well it must be a switch/bsi fault. It only has two wires going to the pump? 
It’s simple it reverses the polarity depending upon front or rear. 
Have you got a test light benji? 

15 hours ago, Stalker said:

Well it must be a switch/bsi fault. It only has two wires going to the pump? 
It’s simple it reverses the polarity depending upon front or rear. 
Have you got a test light benji? 

I've got a multimeter @Stalker

1 hour ago, MrV said:

I've got a multimeter @Stalker

It must be the stalk, ill have a look at the wiring diagram and see how it switched the polarity and get back to you.

The stalk sends a signal to the BSI which operates relays to supply power to the pump at the appropriate polarity.

From memory the BSI is programed to give a rear squirt immediately but for the front it operates the wipers and then gives a squirt.

Can you connect a scan tool to check the signal that the stalk is giving to the BSI ?

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins to reboot the BSI.

Switch wipers to auto and see if it works then.

2 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Can you connect a scan tool to check the signal that the stalk is giving to the BSI ?

This is a good call, however im not sure Benji has access to diagnostic stuff!

22 hours ago, MrV said:

@Stalker

Hi I have just joined up so I could answer this question.

Just to introduce myself I am a independent dealer in Devon and we have been at this site for 4 years and see a lot of Peugeot and Citroen's.

Have you fitted a original washer pump? because if you haven't that will sort your washers out with any car in the PSA group we will only fit genuine washer pumps and keep them in stock due to the problems in the past.

Hope that helps

24 minutes ago, MrP said:

Hi I have just joined up so I could answer this question.

Just to introduce myself I am a independent dealer in Devon and we have been at this site for 4 years and see a lot of Peugeot and Citroen's.

Have you fitted a original washer pump? because if you haven't that will sort your washers out with any car in the PSA group we will only fit genuine washer pumps and keep them in stock due to the problems in the past.

Hope that helps

Welcome.....

I'm intrigued how a two wire washer pump needs to be genuine?

Not having a go..... just curious?

7 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Welcome.....

I'm intrigued how a two wire washer pump needs to be genuine?

Not having a go..... just curious?

I understand and I can't answer that question just know from experience we have had the exact some problems and always cured by fitting a genuine Pump.(retail is £25.65 + VAT) Peugeot number is 643475.

I can only guess it is the signal from BSi that is different that seems to confuse after market pumps as it is only the PSA group (and Renault) that we have problems with.

I am with stalker on this one very confused a pump as long as it has the correct feed will work no matter what make it is, if you where talking about an air flow meter I have seen after market ones give wrong signals but we are not so still as confused.

11 hours ago, justina3 said:

I am with stalker on this one very confused a pump as long as it has the correct feed will work no matter what make it is, if you where talking about an air flow meter I have seen after market ones give wrong signals but we are not so still as confused.

I agree the after market pump always work but don't always supply the water to both front and back as it is one pump that does both. I am no expert on the inner workings of the pump, but I guess there is a valve inside to distribute the water front or rear as requested by the BSi

At about 30 quid all-in it’s hardly going to blow the budget for Benji to find out. It sounds ridiculous but totally plausible, who here HASN’T ever been surprised by a diagnosis on a car?

You won't believe this chaps, C3 had been on Facebook for one day, guy comes to look yesterday and brings his mechanic mate with him, I explain the washer issue, within a minute the guy had fixed it, THE FOOKIN FRONT JETS WERE BLOCKED!! 15 minutes later they drive away in the car after buying it, sometimes this job blows my mind!