Wheelerdealer1

Thugs rob couple who travelled 190 miles to buy Mercedes from Ebay

Thugs rob couple who travelled 190 miles to buy Mercedes from Ebay
https://mol.im/a/7930931

so I am finding it hard to feel sorry for these two, or am I being a twat

£9000 Mercedes GLA!

That alone should set alarm bells ringing ! But as we know the general public only look at price and don’t care if it’s too good to be true or not 

9k for an 18 plate Merc . mmmmmmm thats cheap 

Terrible thing that happened but it was to good to be true wasn't it . 

I do feel sorry for them, but it is the criminals just exploiting people's greed and just shows if it looks to good to me true it normally is.

I’m normally unsympathetic to greedy people being ripped off but this is a terrible tale, they must of been terrified. The thugs certainly don’t mess about in Manchester!

I understand the victim’s family’s concern over the loss of money however I will not be contributing to the GoFundMe page that they’ve set-up to re-coup the money stolen. Although they’ve been treated appalling I feel there are far more deserving cases of charity than a couple of greedy people who were more than happy to pay (I’m tempted to say legally rob) someone 50% of the true value of the goods (in this case the car). 

Appalling as this all is, I wish them well & hope they fully recover but these two aren’t charity cases in my book.

To be fair, it doesn’t actually say how much the vehicle was advertised for. It says they put a chunk down as a deposit via PayPal and took the remaining £9k in cash? 

Good news for people like us as it should scare people off private sales and push them towards reputable car dealers. 

14 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Good news for people like us as it should scare people off private sales and push them towards reputable car dealers. 

Now thats what im talking about :lol:

We don't know the sale price only that he took £9k cash balance. He possibly transferred a few thousands by PayPal prior to this....

Also those of you accusing the buyer of being 'greedy' how many of you have rushed somewhere on hearing of a motor going very cheap? I know I have - a few times with a wad of cash to wave under the sellers nose..

• Like 1

I thought that was his daughter. 

• Like 1

Two car dealer mates of mine paid £1,000 years ago for a triple garage, the kit type thing in somebodies garden on the strenght of them taking it down and removing it, only to turn up start dismantling and the owner of the property to turn up, yep, they have been well and truly had. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Also those of you accusing the buyer of being 'greedy' how many of you have rushed somewhere on hearing of a motor going very cheap? I know I have - a few times with a wad of cash to wave under the sellers nose..

If it’s too good to be true, it usually is.

18 hours ago, MrC said:

I thought that was his daughter.

Where was she hiding the money, in her eyebrows? 

Sorry, harsh I know.

• Like 1

The thing I didn't understand about this story and as I think someone has mentioned that they paid a deposit by Paypal, and that this gang has done this several times. So who does the Paypal account belong to, and why after the first time were the Police not smashing their door down. There is an electronic trail here surely? 

On 1/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, MarkTVS said:

:)

On 1/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, MarkTVS said:

Show me a reputable car dealer represented anywhere on TV. You only have to watch a few episodes of watchdog, rogue traders or can’t pay we’ll take it away to get how we are perceived? Sadly, that will never change! Even giving cars away for free won’t help?

There are some very nasty people around but without sounding rude it does give us a bit of a boost as a few people might be out of buying privately instead going to dealership hopefully not Main Stealerships tip off merchants 

32 minutes ago, Sean Glover said:

There are some very nasty people around but without sounding rude it does give us a bit of a boost as a few people might be out of buying privately instead going to dealership hopefully not Main Stealerships tip off merchants 

As I just said above, most people are force fed the notion that car dealers are all villains? Perpetuated everywhere they look.

Just now, metcars said:

As I just said above, most people are force fed the notion that car dealers are all villains? Perpetuated everywhere they look.

I’m not a bad person just because I sell a car ok

Just now, Sean Glover said:

I’m not a bad person just because I sell a car ok

Of course you’re not. But look at how we are perceived by the public on TV? 

Just now, Sean Glover said:

Why?

The used car trade has always been depicted as a bunch of Arthur Daley type crooks. Like I said, show me a car dealer on tv that is shown in a positive light? It’s nothing new, it’s always been that way. But it doesn’t help build buyer confidence?

5 minutes ago, metcars said:

The used car trade has always been depicted as a bunch of Arthur Daley type crooks. Like I said, show me a car dealer on tv that is shown in a positive light? It’s nothing new, it’s always been that way. But it doesn’t help build buyer confidence?

Surely people understand that Minder was a TV show I’ve just seen that clip with Arthur Daley when the grass is growing out the car very funny

9 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

What’s wrong with grass growing in cars :ph34r:

Where is he its game for a laugh the old classics are still the best