Holmfirth Cars

VALUATIONS ??? CAP V GLASSES

Hi all.....i used to use CAP to value my cars, then i refused to pay £800 a year and now we  just uses WBAC for free lol...

Im wondering how in this modern day do you value cars, as Auto Traders trade online prices are an absolute joke, and Glasses seem to be way out on some vehicles ?

Do you guys use Cap, Glasses, or neither anymore ????? 

3 minutes ago, Holmfirth Cars said:

Hi all.....i used to use CAP to value my cars, then i refused to pay £800 a year and now we  just uses WBAC for free lol...

Im wondering how in this modern day do you value cars, as Auto Traders trade online prices are an absolute joke, and Glasses seem to be way out on some vehicles ?

Do you guys use Cap, Glasses, or neither anymore ????? 

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/used-cars/part-exchange#/landing

The above is CAP Prices and then we just work back wards from what we want to make per car minus prep fees and it leaves you with your bid amount.

• Like 1

Stick your finger in the air and guess seems to be the tactic in January!

7 minutes ago, CRW said:

Stick your finger in the air and guess seems to be the tactic in January!

Plus minimum £1000  for fun.

Watched a car go double cap yesterday was very impressed so brought a near identical one of someone on ebay for half of CAP.

Desperate times need to source cars from elsewhere.

Watched a 2004 Beetle 1.6 Cabrio make 270% of Cap Clean on Saturday.   Good effort - and they say the profit is in the buying!!

To be fair it was low mileage, but that was already accounted in Cap price. Needed a bit of prep as well.

5 minutes ago, CRW said:

Watched a 2004 Beetle 1.6 Cabrio make 270% of Cap Clean on Saturday.   Good effort - and they say the profit is in the buying!!

To be fair it was low mileage, but that was already accounted in Cap price. Needed a bit of prep as well.

Exactly the same with the car i watched it was a one owner 7 main dealer stamps car so i was prepared to even go 500 into cap maybe even a little more but 2 grand into cap is something i never thought i would see.

Admittedly my car of ebay is not as clean but its a top spec Jobby. Should have no issues.

6 minutes ago, CRW said:

Crikes! They’ve never been good sellers anyway, have they? And boy, they look ancient nowadays.

1 minute ago, BHM said:

Crikes! They’ve never been good sellers anyway, have they? And boy, they look ancient nowadays.

In January, could be a struggle. Guess anythings ok at half Cap though, if its something like tidy. Sit on it for a month or so if needs be.

7 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Thanks for this

Not an issue i think someone off here originally sent it wont CAP some cars for some reason but works on most stuff.

Only thing CAP is used for here is finding what the retail value is for working the 120% of CAP retail for FINANCE reasons .

Regards buying guides well non are any good really are they , not since all and his pet hamster have produced one , so much variation in sites , they have all lost any sense of accuracy. 

I don’t think CAP is an accurate guide on a lot of cars. There are many newer cars I would not pay anywhere near CAP clean for but others, particularly older, low mileage, scarce cars, double cap clean might not be particularly outrageous.

Selling price and work backwards, it’s the only truly accurate guide and costs nothing.

It would be interesting to hear mr cap and mr glasses opinion of how realistic their prices are? Perhaps a CDM exclusive?

Motorcheck for reports and AutoTrader for prices.  Been working for us for about 12 months now.

Or just use AutoTrader but they will probably do another price rise in April again.

I think HPi are learning the hard way of putting in a sneaky 12 month cancellation period.  Was dealing with them for about 15 years prior to that.

Just come back from BCA and CAP is useless there as it is anywhere i suppose really . 

BMW in the row = CAP @ £8995 clean , Glasses @ £9,250 , Auto trader priced @ £9,730 . All retail guides point to 13k 

Nice looking thing , Msport and actually making £13,000 on AT at same mileage retail too 

Kicks off at 8k and swiftly moved to 10k , slowed down and the net kicked in to 13700, Hall bought it at £13,800 on the hammer +14200 out the door , wants two rear tyres , a service and a new MOT , 14,650 min before valet and advert costs 

Done 89500 miles with two services and 5 owners , where is that going to i wonder 

52 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Just come back from BCA and CAP is useless there as it is anywhere i suppose really . 

BMW in the row = CAP @ £8995 clean , Glasses @ £9,250 , Auto trader priced @ £9,730 . All retail guides point to 13k 

Nice looking thing , Msport and actually making £13,000 on AT at same mileage retail too 

Kicks off at 8k and swiftly moved to 10k , slowed down and the net kicked in to 13700, Hall bought it at £13,800 on the hammer +14200 out the door , wants two rear tyres , a service and a new MOT , 14,650 min before valet and advert costs 

Done 89500 miles with two services and 5 owners , where is that going to i wonder 

Who buys it ? You read my mind where does it go I've seen that loads and asked rhe same questions . 

Makes you think you could negotiate a bit of the autotrader car thats probably pretty much prepared retail sell it on for profit and still come in less than the auction car    

i remember watching a white a4 all road in the sale do £14300 its audi ad was still up at £14995 it went to a indy car supermarket place cant even remember where but was it up £15795 

Edited by Casper

Gave up Cap and Glasses yonks ago out of frustration - they were often £5k in disagreement on a new car price on say a £25k car so what chance is there on used prices! The VW tool is very good I find. 

Retail back is the only way but that’s near impossible at the moment, on price checking a 66 golf match edition of ours last week there is a £3k spread on out prices, crazy. 

Wbac all over the place too headline prices top heavy at the moment, just no way they will be able to  honour a lot of them.

Strange times!