Nick

Payment?

Hi Guys.

As a newbie I was just wondering how you take payments if you are a part time trader from home? Cash? Bank transfer? Or do you buy/rent a chip & pin machine? Car values would range from £4000 to £8000 if that makes any difference?

Cheers,

Nick

All 3 of the above work. Depends really how the customer prefers to pay. I think most buyers would be a bit wary turning up to someones house with 8 grand in their pocket though. 

Would be worth investing into a credit card terminal to look a bit more professional.

regarding trading from home and card payments, I'm using iZettle and that's pay as you go. you just need a smartphone and card reader which u buy from them  

they charge 2.75% or less. 

It may look dodgy to some customers though 

Thanks guys. Yeah 8 grand cash doesn't look professional, agreed. RJ ill look into iZettle but 2.75% is quite steep. Aint easy is it. What about smart phone banking? Phone to phone banking. I just sold my cbr600rr £5100 and we did the transaction like that, so so easy. But I guess if a 70 year old woman turns up maybe she wouldn't get it? More research needed or pay the price for a chip and pin machine. Need to see their prices. 

Cheers.

Does anyone use this company chipandpinsolutions.co.uk? Im sure you bigger dealers do or similar. What would I expect to pay for a year's agreement? Or do they work on a percentage per transaction basis?

Thanks again

Nick

You can rent a terminal for less than £40 a month depending on what type of machine. Commission is payable on each transaction but it is very small on Debits and around 2% on Credits which you can pass on. Usually a minimum monthly charge even if you dont use the machine i know ours is £25. 

When I opened I had the card company that my bank recommended to me come and see me. But they wanted a business plan, which surprised and irritated me (there's zero risk to them, so why did they need it?).

In the end I went with WorldPay. Easy & competitive.

Card machines..... Punter drives off in your car while you got to wait 3 days for funds to clear ... 

£5000 car they pay a deposit of £100 pound by credit card, they start whinging about car and get totally unreasonable,  credit card company can do a charge back and take the whole £5000 off you !

Card machines..... Punter drives off in your car while you got to wait 3 days for funds to clear ... 

£5000 car they pay a deposit of £100 pound by credit card, they start whinging about car and get totally unreasonable,  credit card company can do a charge back and take the whole £5000 off you !

our card payments are with us the next working day. 

No one has charged back a car we have sold.

Has anybody here ever had a chargeback done to them? I havent but have always wondered how the process works and how easy it is for a customer to do this?

When I opened I had the card company that my bank recommended to me come and see me. But they wanted a business plan, which surprised and irritated me (there's zero risk to them, so why did they need it?).

In the end I went with WorldPay. Easy & competitive.

Been looking at worldpay. Yeah wouldn't want the hassle of someone needing to come out to my house, just unnecessary..

Can I ask what you use then? Cash only? smartphone to smartphone as in bank transfer?

Prefer cash..... We will take a cheque etc, obviously subject to clearing, we do take cards as well , charge punter 3% , normally puts em off using it, there is a cash machine in shop next door to us which is handy so they can go and get their dipper from there.

I mentioned the charge back with a credit card as none  of us have got a crystal ball , we don't know if a car will go wrong or the punter will turn into a complete aresole, it's just another thing that could cause you a headache.

Had a charge back this week (also had a few in a mail order company where elderly people forgot they had purchased something .

this one related to a deposit they placed then on day of collection they backed out, they had filled out the finance forms found nothing wrong with the car etc. The card company - well in this instance write to you and give you chance to respond or defend.