Jay187

Merc C250d engine vibration sound problem

Hi guys, i have a 2012 C250 auto diesel with 130k miles that is making a vibration type sound under revs. Sounds like a knackered engine or gearbox mount noise, or a blown exhaust is the best way to describe it. But the garage it is currently in is adamant its a timing chain issue. But there is no rattle or anything, just more of a vibration sound. Even when driving its like the exhaust is blown and then goes quite when you lift off the accelerator. Has anybody heard of a similar issue? And do you think it may indeed be a timing issue? Any insight would be much appreciated as i can’t deal with the £2,500 bill they are trying to sting me with!

Theres no power loss or anything so it all seems strange to me, every time I’ve had timing chain issues in the past, theres always been some kind of rattle or clunky engine lol. But this just sounds more like a blown exhaust than anything, its baffling me and i reckon i will need a second opinion as i really don’t think its a timing chain issue

Take it to another garage for a 2nd opinion if you’re not happy with the first.
Have they checked the engine and gear mounts? And the exhaust and inlet system for leaks?  If not, ask them why.

Also, is this whilst driving (speed related) or whilst revving the engine in P/N?  

7 minutes ago, EPV said:

This will be the gearbox mounts. 

That’s where I’m coming from , has anyone else checked the buggers.....

Edited by Dave c

1 minute ago, Dave c said:

That’s where I’m coming from , has anyone else checked the buggers.....

They are common on C Classes mate. 

If the vibration increases the higher up the rev range you go, I'd take it to another garage, suggest it could be the gearbox mounting, have them change them if they concur. As far as I'm aware until you actually take out mountings you can't tell if they are crushed/knackered so how your garage has ruled them out I don't know.

They have apparently checked the mounts but I agree with EPV and not sure how they ruled them out without removing them

Dave C, the engine sounds louder when revving in Park and when accelerating, but it goes quite when you lift off the accelerator.

When you switch the engine off you can even feel the movement in gearbox or engine as if the mounts are knackered

With the gearbox mounts it’s hard to check them visually but there buttons to buy I think about £40, so probably worth changing it as precaution if it feels like. Mount, are the rest of the engine mounts oil filled? I know they are on my c class so if they are fucked you should be able to see visual leaks from them?

Why have your garage diagnoses a chain? What have they found to indicate that? Is there a camshaft/crankshaft correlation fault stored? Have they stripped the engine to allow visual inspection of the chain? Or have they checked the parameters on diagnostic of camshaft position? 

To be honest i don’t think they are the best technicians as the first time they looked at it, they said all mounts are fine and they don’t know what the problem is, second time they said the sound is coming from back of engine meeting with gearbox so it must be the gearbox they said!!! Third time now and they reckon its to do with timing chain but I don’t think they’ve opened much of the engine up to verify this

130k on a 12 plater shouldnt affect the chain on the old girl unless shes been poorly maintained then i could see definate issues we all kmow how to stamp books and for a fiver extra you can have the Mercedes stamp:P

Edited by Ek cars

I absolutely guarantee it’s a mount. And I’m almost certain it’s the gearbox mount. Costs about £70 to fix.  I’ve had this loadS of times and it’s 99% always the gearbox mount

18 hours ago, Jay187 said:

To be honest i don’t think they are the best technicians as the first time they looked at it, they said all mounts are fine and they don’t know what the problem is, second time they said the sound is coming from back of engine meeting with gearbox so it must be the gearbox they said!!! Third time now and they reckon its to do with timing chain but I don’t think they’ve opened much of the engine up to verify this

The gearbox mount looks fine but you can’t check it until it’s off and normally there is a tiny split on the inner rubber part of it. It’s extremely common.

Thanks @Grantlfc81 and everyone else who has commented, given me a bit of hope that it should just be a gearbox mount. I’ve taken it into another garage now, hopefully i should know on Monday what’s happening with it, i will keep you updated

19 hours ago, Jay187 said:

Thanks @Grantlfc81 and everyone else who has commented, given me a bit of hope that it should just be a gearbox mount. I’ve taken it into another garage now, hopefully i should know on Monday what’s happening with it, i will keep you updated

Just ask them to put a new gearbox mount in before you do anything

Just to let you guys know... £40 gearbox mount from Mercedes fitted and everything is sorted!! And will no longer be using the garage who diagnosed a timing issue!! Thanks for all the advice.... now onto the next headache lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jay187 said:

Just to let you guys know... £40 gearbox mount from Mercedes fitted and everything is sorted!! And will no longer be using the garage who diagnosed a timing issue!! Thanks for all the advice.... now onto the next headache lol

You’re welcome! Been there with the exact same issue, twice. 

Well done guys ! Your guys just saved Jay187 £2460. 

5 hours ago, DPF said:

Well done guys ! Your guys just saved Jay187 £2460. 

Hahaha yess. I knew it couldn’t of been a timing chain issues, I would mention the silly garage but not one to name and shame, just won’t be using them ever again, second time they have given me issues now!

3 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

i would of loved to have seen their faces when the timing chain didn’t fix it lmao.... 

Snap .

me too don't you just love when you take a car into the garage and the mechanic scratches his head and says it could be that .. well i want you to diagnose what it is not what it could be 

If you are not mechanically minded yourself, you have to trust garages to fix the problem without screwing you.

The problem is, a lot of these mechanics are useless, untrained and don’t have clew, their guess is as good as yours. When your problem isn’t straightforward and the mechanics want to play “parts darts” that’s when you need to change garages.

Nothing worse than throwing thousands on a repair which doesn’t work. 

9 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

If you are not mechanically minded yourself, you have to trust garages to fix the problem without screwing you.

The problem is, a lot of these mechanics are useless, untrained and don’t have clew, their guess is as good as yours. When your problem isn’t straightforward and the mechanics want to play “parts darts” that’s when you need to change garages.

Nothing worse than throwing thousands on a repair which doesn’t work. 

Problem is the ones that play the darts game have the mindset there the best mechanic in world 

infact that's just not the motortrade you get the digger drivers that's the best the lorry drivers that's the best etc you seen them all

Id never claim to the best at anything and would prefer praise from others . To know I'm doing something right 

Edited by Casper

5 hours ago, Casper said:

Problem is the ones that play the darts game have the mindset there the best mechanic in world 

infact that's just not the motortrade you get the digger drivers that's the best the lorry drivers that's the best etc you seen them all

Id never claim to the best at anything and would prefer praise from others . To know I'm doing something right 

Your absolutely right! These mechanics that love to make you spend your money on parts that you never needed, always think they’re the best mechanics in town!! I hate when mechanics play the guessing game!

• Like 1

i sell a fair few c classes. i have sold a few c200's with no probs.  even manual ones have sold well.  as long as they look decent and are not basic they sell well.